Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EDFRAZIER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 11:26 AM
    Scamming law against contractors in ontario, canada
    A contractor began work on an extensive renovation - adding a second storey addition. After 10 days - they left the home exposed to water damage - freak storm blew in and poured into the house. Stuff happens - I wanted to have his insurance information to put in a claim - he wanted to fix it without the insurance claim. 2 days later he walked off the job. I called the police and tried to charge him with fraud - they spoke to the contractor who said his lawyer would be contacting me for a settlement. The lawyer says they are not at liberty to give me the insurance information - I had my insurance company evaluate so that I could continue with the renovation. The deposit of $49,000 by the contractors estimate had been used in these few days - he was willing to refund $14,000. The damage to the home was $14,000 + and the work completed had to be removed and redone (didn't pass engineers or city's inspection) He subsequenty offered $33,000. I am being stone walled and frustrated by his admission that he has at least $33000 of my money but will only release this if I agree not to pursue for damages. Our contract said that we would arbitrate any dispute? What can I do? At this point I'd go for a compromise of returning my original monies - I would still be out the money it cost to redo his work, as well as the damage to the home/personal property.
    Is there a scamming law in Ontario - it seems to me that this is a scam. Does the company have to bookkeep my money in their income tax - ?

Check out some similar questions!

How many lakes are in ontario canada [ 2 Answers ]

How many lakes are in ontario canada?

Bankruptcy in Ontario Canada [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I live in ontario canada. I am just wondering.. If you are a full time employee. Can they garnish your wages or will they for that matter.. if you do plan on going bankrupt. And how long does it take to be able to take out a load through a bad/good credit place for ex. A car loan??

Is a will valid if living comman law in ontario, canada? [ 4 Answers ]

If your common law partner has you as his beneficiary for pension/life ins/rrsp's (& vice a versa). Are you entitled to it without any family member on his side disputing it? If your partner owns a home in his name, and there is no will, can his family or the estate take it from you. Have been...

SOL in Ontario Canada [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been separated for 9 years and we have nothing on paper. We have one child together and I do pay money every month. What is the SOL for the length we have been separated? Is it an automatic Divorce because of how long we have been separated? Thanks..

What rights do I have, common law relationship, Ontario, Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in a common law relationship for over 16 years and left her 6 months ago. We have 2 children together ages 14 and 8 almost 9. I purchased a condo 7 years ago and the deed is in my name alone. I have been paying for all household bills and condo fees as well as the groceries. She has...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.