Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jacqi2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 11:01 AM
    What kind of spider is this?
    I (hesitantly) got close enough to photograph this Spider, unfortunately he/she has a number of relatives as well. Its sitting on a filter carterage that is roughly 6 to 7 inches. It's a beast of a spider.
    Attached Images

Aug 15, 2012, 08:35 AM
    Kind of scary that no one knows anything about this creepy thing. Lol
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 08:37 AM
    Your location is important.

Aug 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
    Oh Sorry, Maine
    Zok Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 01:56 PM
    It looks like it might be some genus of wolf spider but I'm not sure.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zok View Post
    It looks like it might be some genus of wolf spider but I'm not sure.
    Are you an etymologist? Post a link if you want to name this spider, otherwise you information is not credible.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 03:27 PM
    It's some form of Argiope, also commonly known as a Garden Spider and sometimes loosely referred to as an Orb Weaver.

They are essentially harmless. Yes, they can and will bite if you give them a reason to do so although most of the time they will attempt to retreat as they are not an overly aggressive spider. Mostly, they are just large and maybe scary looking to some but they won't go out of their way to bother you.

Me? They fascinate me. I think the webs they build are absolutely amazing. If you can find its web, take a close look at it. They generally form a zig-zag pattern in the center of it. There is debate and nobody can say for sure why they do this but they are the only species to do so.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 03:30 PM
    Odinn7, I love you. I wish you had been one of my neighbors when I was a kid.

Sep 28, 2012, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    It's some form of Argiope, also commonly known as a Garden Spider and sometimes loosely referred to as an Orb Weaver.

They are essentially harmless. Yes, they can and will bite if you give them a reason to do so although most of the time they will attempt to retreat as they are not an overly aggressive spider. Mostly, they are just large and maybe scary looking to some but they won't go out of their way to bother you.

Me? They fascinate me. I think the webs they build are absolutely amazing. If you can find its web, take a close look at it. They generally form a zig-zag pattern in the center of it. There is debate and nobody can say for sure why they do this but they are the only species to do so.

Thank you very much! Although the webbing designs of spiders are fascinating and some quite beautiful I have to say there is NO way I'm going to get close enough to see the zig zags lol sorry but if there is any chance it is occupied I'm not going near it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of spider is this? [ 1 Answers ]

I found this spider in my bedroom underneath a blanket that I pulled out for winter. Anyone care to take a stab at what kind it is? With the legs it is a tiny bit bigger than a quarter. It is in the sink in the picture so that I could get a good picture of it. Pretty sure it isn't a brown recluse...

I need to know what kind of spider is this. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone... We have a piece of land in thomasburg,ontario and last week,one of my daugthers found this huge spider... I would like to know what kind of spider is that so I can make some research about it.We have 3 children that like to venture on that land.Knowing about it would make me feel...

What kind of spider is this [ 2 Answers ]

This spider jumped out at me when I was taking down the artificial Christmas tree. Can anyone identify it?

What kind of Spider is this? [ 7 Answers ]

I found this spider in my Bedroom this morning. Does anyone know what spider it is and if it is dangerous?

Need 2 know what kind of spider is this ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I currently live in Namibia a southern african country . I just found in my house a really weird looking spider that freacked me out it's hairy light colored (beige) with 10 legs and it has what appears to be 2 teeth The spider is almost 5 cm . I really would like 2 know what kind of...

View more questions Search