Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnoopers Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 5, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Deeming a parent incompetent
    My mother-in-law has been somewhat incoherent for some time now. She is good at fooling a lot of people but since we left she has had more and more family realizing we weren't just out to get her. She is going to fight us but this needs to be done as she has already ended up in the hospital three times for a cumadin accidental overdose. How do I go about this in PA and how do I go about this nicely?:confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Then you need to start the process legally - find an attorney experienced in elder law and explain what you have just stated here. If you are looking for guardianship, there would be a petition made to the court. There would be a guardian ad liteum named for your Mother, a court visitor and your own attorney. The court can ask for medical documentation, psychological evaluation, etc. in order to determine what kind of guardianship would be granted, if any.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 6, 2007, 06:18 AM
    My mom gave me power of attorney early on, before she became ill. That enabled me to handle her affairs in a legal manner without interference. I have since done this for my son so its in place when he needs it. But at this point I think shygrneyzs has a good solution.

Overdosing on cumadin (a very strong blood thinneer) is positive life threatening.
    jnoopers Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Thank you For your help. I am now contacting attorneys to begin this process. jnoopers:)
    Tootruetooblue Posts: 61, Reputation: 17

Jun 14, 2007, 01:56 PM
    You might want to contact her doctors as well. They can be very helpful. She may have depression or dimmentia, or if she's abusing her medication, her behavior might be related to that, too. It's amazing how many medications some elderly people are on and if they are not good advocates for themselves, they can end up on stuff that doesn't work well together and makes them worse.
    hbnorlund Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
    I am in the process of trying to get guardianship and conservatorship of my grandmother. Papers have been filed. I don't really have any advise for you, as I feel like I am juggling JELL-O most of the time, but I did want to let you know that you are not alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death of a parent [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 15 yrs old and I keep thinking about my mom. She keeps getting sick and isn't taklin care of her heal and when I do tell her to go to the gym or go walking she just yelles at me. I lost my dad when I was 5 and I don't want my mom to go. Now a days I've been thinking a lot of her goinng a way. I...

Any parent out there? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I are married and have four children. We both parents working but always manage for one of us to be home when the children get home from school or the grandparents. My children age are 14, 12, 10 and 6. Last night, I found my oldest daughter locked herself in the bathroom and was...

No PARENT left behind [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, here is my addition to the humor & comedy thread, I too apologize if you have seen these, but as a parent myself who prefers good english out of my children I got a great laugh out of some of these :p NO PARENT LEFT BEHIND. I promise you cannot read these and not laugh out Loud....

Being a step parent [ 4 Answers ]

I need Help and or advice on being in a relationship and living with a man that I love who has three children. I have known him for 10 years and have lived with and helped support his children for 3 years while he was finishing college. His ex (not divirced yet) has been running around on him for...

License to parent [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any case laws or bills referring to potential parents being required to have a license to parent prior to having children?

View more questions Search