Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bittersweet93 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 12:36 AM
    Taxes help!
    All right so I'm 19 single and live with my parents. I started working about 3 monthhs ago at a university and on my taxes she put exempt from taxes she thought id make a little money so I thought OK cool cause I don't know anythng about taxes but I added up my checks it came up to be 2,040 and I'm lik UH?? What should I do ? I don't want problems with the IRS and I'm stressed can someone help me with what do to , what can I do , if paying taxes still doesn't apply to me I'm super worried.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 6, 2012, 01:35 AM
    I'm not sure why she did that if you aren't a student just working for the summer, so go back and tell her you want a W4 to fill out and claim one exemption, yourself. That will start deductions going on future paychecks. It should all work out OK in the end, when you file your tax return. The IRS doesn't concern themselves with when changes were made to exemption status.
    bittersweet93 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 03:10 AM
    Hi thank you for your help buuuut I am a college student. I just decided to work in the summer, does that change things?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 6, 2012, 04:50 AM
    Then she knows what she's talking about. BUT often it's better financially if your parents claim you, which they can while you are a FULL TIME student under 24. You might want to discuss this with them, but you don't have to (you could split the savings they get). There are other factors.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 05:08 AM
    If you are in college it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an income tax return package and play around with the calculations so as to get a rough idea how taxes work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file for taxes? (F1 Visa, OPT, Company does not withhold taxes) [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file for taxes? My situation is: F1 Visa, OPT work authorization, Company does NOT withhold taxes. I began work in September 6 2011 (two month probation) and became full time on November 15 2011. I received bi-weekly checks since September 6. Please help. Thank you.

Paid internship no taxes being withheld from paychecks. What taxes am I liable for? [ 3 Answers ]

I graduated college in May, 2010 and have accepted a paid intership through December 31, 2010. I am getting paychecks every two weeks for the amount of hours worked with no taxes being withheld. What taxes am I liable for?

Can I buy a used car in GA and pay GA taxes without paying taxes in my home state [ 1 Answers ]

Can I buy a used car in GA and pay GA taxes without paying taxes in my home state?

Filing Federal Taxes Jointly and State Taxes Separately [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are both on Active Duty in the Military, and we were married in May of this year so this will be the first year filing Jointly. Is it sensible to file joint federal taxes and separate state taxes this year (Wisconsin and Maryland) even though we are both stationed and living in...

How to Claim Social Security taxes & medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on my CPT and OPT from July 2006 to June 2008 and paid Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, how can I claim them back? Thank you.

View more questions Search