Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    An Oscillator Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 11:35 PM
    Gifts
    Okay, so I'm working at an elementary school for a summer camp program, and I'm an instructor/counselor. This is my 1st time actually working with kids (and I just turned 20 during this job this summer). This has been a fun job and I feel like I bonded with a few. If I were to get one or a couple of them some little gifts or sum'n small, would that be like acceptable, or..
    (Cuz how I feel, is that you never know when you'll ever see someone again, you know?)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 6, 2012, 12:21 AM
    I'm inclined to say no, because it would be selective. You have no idea how something like that can go all wrong. One child tells another who is hurt and who tells his parent and the parent complains to the school. When you are saying goodbyes, just give an extra big hug and whisper a little comment about how very very special they are to you and you hope you see them again. Take pictures, and make sure at least one of them includes all the kids.

Aug 6, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I'm inclined to say no, because it would be selective. You have no idea how something like that can go all wrong. One child tells another who is hurt and who tells his parent and the parent complains to the school. When you are saying goodbyes, just give an extra big hug and whisper a little comment about how very very special they are to you and you hope you see them again. Take pictures, and make sure at least one of them includes all the kids.
    So it wouldn't be very wise to do that, eh... little kids like to show off sh*t, lol.

As well as the picture thing, which is an idea that sounds cool, anything else?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 07:52 AM
    As the daughter of a teacher, it is a bad idea to give a gift to a few students if you aren't going to give one to all.

Aug 6, 2012, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    As the daughter of a teacher, it is a bad idea to give a gift to a few students if you aren't going to give one to all.
    Aaaah.. if only, if only... sucks that I can't reward the good ones either! Aarrgh! >:/

*sigh* I guess I won't trip though. Maybe I should bring something big to our picnic on the last day. Seems a little better/wiser, I guess, eh? :)
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by An Oscillator View Post
    Maybe I should bring something big to our picnic on the last day.
    Now THAT's a good idea! You don't want to be accused of being a "teacher" who has "pets." Not a good reputation to have.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 05:38 PM
    How about cupcakes with each name spelled out on each cupcake? Or on a sheet cake?
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How about cupcakes with each name spelled out on each cupcake? or on a sheet cake?
    That's a good idea, but the OP should be sure that it is okay to bring homemade treats. Many school districts these days don't allow homemade.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    That's a good idea, but the OP should be sure that it is okay to bring homemade treats. Many school districts these days don't allow homemade.
    Oh, yeah. Forgot about that. In the old days, we all used to be able to poison each other. Bakery cake decorated with names? (Not sure how many names... )

Balloons with names on? (environmental problem?) Is there anything acceptable these days?
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is there anything acceptable these days?
    I'm beginning to wonder.

My school district doesn't allow homemade treats. Poison? I don't know, could it be the increase in peanut allergies and the risk of homemade treats coming into contact with anything "nutty?"

Balloons would be expensive, but you CAN get a ton of things, toys etc. at any dollar store!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Get them something they will remember you by. The dollar store sells t-shirts. You can bring permanent markers and have everyone autograph them. Make sure to get them for everyone. Glad you enjoyed your time. Do you want to become a teacher?

Aug 6, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Get them something they will remember you by. The dollar store sells t-shirts. You can bring permanent markers and have everyone autograph them. Make sure to get them for everyone. Glad you enjoyed your time. Do you want to become a teacher?
    One of the teachers (out of a staff of 6, she's the eldest of us all [round 50, I think.. hope I'm right.. she wouldn't like that if I guessed older... lol]) says I should. She stated that I'm such a good help, I'm the only one she'd "put stock in for", & that I'm a high quality worker, etc.
    A LOTTA people say I'm good with kids, even though my current major is dreadfully "Biological Sciences", but I'd like to change now, I think...

Aug 6, 2012, 10:04 PM
    And as for these other wonderful ideas:

- sheet cake and/or cupcakes: as I've read from our little reminder that was given out last year, we, as a staff (along with the parents), were told to bring stuff to eat, so I can ask my co-peeps & see.. this cupcake idea piquéd my curiosity.. lol

- autograph t-shirt: tried that.. I still kind of want to do it, but my boss accidentally ruined my shirt..
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by An Oscillator View Post
    One of the teachers (out of a staff of 6, she's the eldest of us all [round 50, I think..hope I'm right..she wouldn't like that if I guessed older...lol]) says I should. She stated that I'm such a good help, I'm the only one she'd "put stock in for", & that I'm a high quality worker, etc.
    A LOTTA people say I'm good with kids, even tho my current major is dreadfully "Biological Sciences", but I'd like to change now, I think...
    Well, you can always be a Science teacher. We need great teachers! Much luck on your decision!

Aug 6, 2012, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Well, you can always be a Science teacher. We need great teachers! Much luck on your decision!
    Only time will tell where my fate lies.. but anyway, thank u!!

Aug 6, 2012, 10:16 PM
    And the mini toys from the dollar store (which is QUITE conveniently located a few blocks away from the school) is also.a great idea... gotta weigh some stuff out... thanks a TON, ladies!!

Hopefully I remember to update you about the aftermath.. which I'm prayin shall be one to remember.. :)

God Bless!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gifts for the Mom who has EVERYTHING? [ 5 Answers ]

My Mom is the pickiest and hardest mom to shop for I need help! List of Things She Wouldn't Like or Use: 1. Flowers 2. Jewelry 3. Spa Day packages 4. Candy, Cakes, pretty much any food 5. Clothing 6. Gardening tools or potted plants or seeds 7. Picture keepsake items, collages,...

Gifts from above [ 8 Answers ]

Being able to hear and see in Spirit while awake or in prayer, could this be a gift , and what kind of gift would it be?:D also sometimes when meeting people I can feel their different pains in their life. And I don't even know them, what kind of gift could this be. Also sometimes knowing what...

Wedding gifts [ 9 Answers ]

If you attend a bridal shower and bring a gift, do you have to bring a gift to the wedding also?

Wedding Gifts- Money vs gifts [ 2 Answers ]

Our grandson is getting married. The brides family is very wealthy while we are of meager income. Is it proper to give a modest gift of money or more proper to give a gift?

View more questions Search