Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frogdude Posts: 190, Reputation: 46

Aug 5, 2012, 03:04 PM
    1978 Bedford van - alternator wiring
    Hi guys, I'm trying to fit an alternator and could do with some help regarding the wiring.

The van is a 78 Bedford CF. I've removed the old alternator (lucas) and have a new one (delco) to fit. I have a wiring diagram and know which colour wire goes where, but there seems to be a terminal missing.

The big terminals are for the battery charging & earth. Then there's 3 small terminals in the L shaped bit. One is for the thin brown wire (battery sensing), which is fine. Then in the diagram there's 2 terminals for the brown/yellow wire (warning lamp) with a loop connecting the 2 (3 wires labeled '3', two of them are just wired to each other), then going back to the warning lamp. Except on my alternator one of these terminals is missing...

So... is the second terminal & loop essential to function? If it is, why isn't it integral to the alternator?

From comparing the alternator to the diagram and the positioning of the wires, it APPEARS that the missing terminal would be attached to the casing of the aternator (but not sure), if this is the case could I just earth it elsewhere on the casing?

Wiring diagram (the left one)

My alternator
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2012, 03:18 PM
    You are playing with fire. Since it's not an exact match, you run the risk of seriously damaging your electrical system.

Instead, why not rebuild the original alternator, by installing new bearings, brushes, and regulator? This is less risky and cheaper ($20 or less).
    Frogdude Posts: 190, Reputation: 46

Aug 6, 2012, 01:46 AM
    The one I'm fitting is the original part for the van, the Lucas one that had been previously fitted was a replacement and the wiring had been butchered to fit.

And being 34 years old, parts are not that easily available. You have to go with what you can get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1978 chevy van died and won't start, no gauges, radio or anything [ 1 Answers ]

1978 chevy van was running heard a pop then died will not turn over, no gauges, no radio, but headlights work(bright/dim)but no blue bright indicator on dash, all fuse under dash look good

1978 ford van starting system [ 4 Answers ]

My son has a 1978 Ford mini home with a 351 engine. All of a sudden it won't start. Took starter & battery to have checked and they are both OK. Replaced starter solenoid and ohmed out cable to starter. Should also say lights don't work now either.. What do I do next?

Mechanical advice for ford van 1978 model [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1978 ford van ,w,automatic transm.I was driving down the road,when all of a sudden the van started grinding and quit pulling.I think the transmission is OK,but maybe a driveshaft problem?

Bedford van 2.0 Opel engine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. I've spotted a 1984 Bedford campervan in near mint condition for sale, and I'm tempted. I can't seem to find any info on the engine though? Apparently it's a 2.0 Opel engine. If anyone has any info (BHP, torque, reliability, weaknesses etc) I'd be eternally grateful! Many thanks Rich

View more questions Search