Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emily_godzilla Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

Aug 5, 2012, 01:24 PM
    Anyone familiar with the drug Lupron?
    Concern over slim chance of pregnancy?

I have severe fertility issues. I have been diagnosed with stage 4 endo.I decided with much thinking to try the Lupron shot, in a effort to control my chronic pain.I currently have an ovarian cyst. Now my husband and I have only gotten pregnant twice in 12 years.Both pregnancies ended in miscarriages. I anticipated that my ob-gyn would still wish to do surgery on me. I met with her July 17, however she prescribed the Lupron 3 month shot instead. I had my first injection july18,2012. My only worry is that my hubby and I were having unprotected sex up until that point. MLP was June 30,2012. With Lupron they tell you to use additional non-hormonal birth control-barrier methods like condoms well on it. I assume it could be very dangerous for a fetus, which is why we are going to begin using condoms again. Should I worry much that I may have gotten pregnant this month? She even gave me a urine test in her office, but I suspect I would have ovulated only a few days ago to a week ago-way too soon to test. Anybody knows what would happen if you take the lupron injection mid-cyle? We have been trying to conceive for 6 years now, I would be very sad if I got pregnant and without knowing took a dangerous drug... however I have been in so much pain, I did not know what else to do. I did seem to get my period on July 30 right on time. But it felt different than usual-less pain and it started then stopped for at least 12 hrs only to start again the following morning. Ultimately, I am hoping that this one 3 month dose of Lupron, will be enough that we could start trying to conceive in jan 2013. My endo is stage 4 though and I also battle with bipolar disorder. I was surprised to see that my bipolar meds are listed under category C during pregnancy but Lupron is listed under category X. Very scary to me.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 01:42 PM
    I have been on Lupron injections. Your Gyn would not have given you the injection if you were pregnant. In my case, my periods went from heavy to non-existent on Lupron. I had ovarian cysts, and I was put on the injections to give my ovaries a rest. My cysts did go away after a few rounds of Lupron. I did suffer from horrible hot flashes 24/7, though. It was worth it, in the end, because my pain went away and I was able to conceive. Good luck to you!

Aug 5, 2012, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I have been on Lupron injections. Your Gyn would not have given you the injection if you were pregnant. In my case, my periods went from heavy to non-existent on Lupron. I had ovarian cysts, and I was put on the injections to give my ovaries a rest. My cysts did go away after a few rounds of Lupron. I did suffer from horrible hot flashes 24/7, though. It was worth it, in the end, because my pain went away and I was able to conceive. Good luck to you!
    Thank you for your quick reply. My only concerns with the issue of pregnancy stem from the fact, I may have been ovulating just prior to getting the injection and we had unprotected sex prior to that. If I had conceived a day or two before and she gave me a urine test it definitely would not show up that fast. No bloodwork was done. The injection was given about two weeks from when my next period was due. I would not even be worried except I got a phone call from my pharmacy today- about being prescribed both prenatals and lithium. I had to reassure the lady I was not in fact pregnant at this time. And that both my psych dr and obgyn know all the meds I am on. Due to the lupron-i have stopped the prenatals and like I said we are using condoms now.

Aug 5, 2012, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_godzilla View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply. My only concerns with the issue of pregnancy stem from the fact, I may have been ovulating just prior to getting the injection and we had unprotected sex prior to that. If i had concieved a day or two before and she gave me a urine test it definately would not show up that fast. no bloodwork was done. The injection was given about two weeks from when my next period was due. I would not even be worried except I got a phone call from my pharmacy today- about being prescribed both prenatals and lithium. I had to reassure the lady I was not in fact pregnant at this time. And that both my psych dr and obgyn know all the meds i am on. Due to the lupron-i have stopped the prenatals and like i said we are using condoms now.
    How many rounds were you on? I am only planning on this single 3 month injection but if necessary, I maybe willing to take one more 3 month injection. Just really feel short on time, I just turned 38...
    Education Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 02:35 PM
    Two rounds, so it was six months. Then it took about 3 months to get my periods back. Pregnant first month after :) and that was after a year of misc. fertility treatments. Baby number two, a freebie! Are you having the hot flashes?

Aug 5, 2012, 03:29 PM
    I think so, but I am not sure, because I also have hypothyroidism. Im on meds for the hypothyroidism but sometimes my body temp seems off-that was before the Lupron. I have only been on it now since July 18-so almost 3 weeks?
    The hot/cold thing is the only side effect, I've noticed besides an eaiser period and some headaches. I know it can affect moods-but so far, I have been ok-which is very important because I do not wish to trigger a bipolar episode in either direction. I had a pretty big ovarian cyst -I'm hoping that the Lupron will shrink it. I think it is 6mm. But I had surgery before over one that was only 4mm. My day to day pain and cramping seems more bearable too so far. I have been able to take less tyelenol.
    Education Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_godzilla View Post
    I think so, but i am not sure, because I also have hypothyroidism. Im on meds for the hypothyroidism but sometimes my body temp seems off-that was before the Lupron. I have only been on it now since july 18-so almost 3 weeks?
    The hot/cold thing is the only side effect, I've noticed besides an eaiser period and some headaches. I know it can affect moods-but so far, I have been ok-which is very important because i do not wish to trigger a bipolar episode in either direction. I had a pretty big ovarian cyst -I'm hoping that the Lupron will shrink it. I think it is 6mm. But i had surgery before over one that was only 4mm. My day to day pain and cramping seems more bearable too so far. I have been able to take less tyelenol.
    That sounds it is working. I hated the hot flashes, but it did work.
    kimhill77 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2013, 04:20 PM
    Keep in mind that there are studies showing that this should not be taken no more than 12 shots in a life time due to many people not just women having long term health issues and disabilities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depo Lupron Shot! Has anyone else taken one? [ 1 Answers ]

I found out in May I have endometriosis and soon after took a 3 month shot of Depo Lupron ( similar to depo provera, for birth control). It sends your body into "pretend" menopause to help stop the growth of the endometriosis. I am having a tuff time with the menopaue symptoms and I don't know if...

Lupron injections [ 6 Answers ]

Has any one taken Lupron?

View more questions Search