Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loretta444 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 12:37 PM
    HIPAA violation?
    I am a medical practitioner who informed my employer of a problem I have. They pulled my medical records and used them against me.I was fired. I gave no one permission to look at my files. None of them had treated me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2012, 12:41 PM
    This is close. If you weren't treated by someone at your employer how did they get access to your records? How do you know your records were accessed?

But the issue I see is if the problem you reported affected your job, they may have had the right. In any case, you can probably be fired without any reason.

Even if it is a HIPAA violation what do you want to do about it.

Aug 5, 2012, 12:51 PM
    I worked at an UC that is owned by the insurance company. So, no matter who treated me the info is there.
    I know they accessed it because they brought it to my hr meeting.

What do I want out of it?? I want to nail them to the wall for all to know just who and how they are

It is difficult because I worked for the insurance company and was insured by them.

Aug 5, 2012, 01:03 PM
    UC = Urgent care facility?

Again this is a borderline situation. Without knowing what the problem was that you reported and how it affected your job (not that I'm asking for details) it's hard to be sure they weren't justified.

But the answer is simple. You contact the OCR through the HIPAA web site and report it. They will investigate and take whatever action is appropriate.

Aug 5, 2012, 01:07 PM
    Yes, urgent care. I will do what you recommend. If nothing else, it will waist their time, resourses and make them sweat
    TY

Aug 5, 2012, 01:10 PM
    Let us know what happens, though you may never know what action is taken.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 01:13 PM
    Most employers when you are hired get a blanket permission for background searches including credit and medical. If there was one signed without a date for it to no longer be effective, they may have well had written permission. They are not required to get a new permission if they had one previoiusly

Next was it something that could effect your work? I know as a medical tech, I had to inform my work place of any medication I was talking, and any illness that could be caught by others. Plus a required annual physical paid for by the company. That they got.

So there is just not enough known facts. But if they do, you report them and see if there is enough for the government to investigate.

Plus hard to say without additional facts of what this is, but was the illness serious enough to have to fire you? Since you said you informed them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé's ex girlfriend violated HIPAA by digging into my personal medical records at the hospital she got hired at. She then posted details of my medical history online on Facebook and spread the info to multiple persons through text messages As well. She was also making death threats and...

Hipaa violation [ 1 Answers ]

I started a new job,upon trying to get me into the company's computer system so I could process medical insurance claims, they inadvertently had got me into a portion of the system, that normally would not have been accessible at this company's location. Upon the trainer sitting with me realizing...

HIPAA violation [ 6 Answers ]

A folder containing PHI was left on a desk was discovered during an audit. Would this be considered a HIPAA violation?

Is this a hipaa violation [ 6 Answers ]

I am an RN in a clinic. Recently a person was killed. A doctor at work showed me her picture. I immediately said "Oh my God I think she was in here last week". I typed in her name just to see if we had seen her. When I saw that we had not I deleted it. I did not read any information whatsoever. If...

Is this a HIPAA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I am undergoing a fit for duty evaluation and I was required to sign medical release documents. I was adivsed that if the evaluators required more information they would contact me, I was just contacted by my employer who stated they received a call from the evaluators stating that they had not...

View more questions Search