Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tom2705 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Feeling of emptiness
    Hi,
    Okay I am soon to turn 17 and although this doesn’t mean very much to me I feel I have got to a point where I am constantly feeling like there is something missing in my life, I play allot of sport and this is sometimes a temporary relief from the feeling, however it is nothing more than temporary.

I have always seen myself as a man of science even at such a young age I have always turned to science to seek my answers in life, however I recently had a convocation with a very close friend of mine to see if she could help with my feeling of emptiness, as she is a very religious and spiritual person and also one of the most secure and happy people that We were left alone for around 3 hours in college during free periods and had become very bored and I soon drifted off into a small day dream which ended up like all of my day dreams between a choice between science and religion. This brought on that feeling of emptiness again and in a hope to find conversation with my friend asked her if she ever felt empty she answered “no not really, why do you ask?” I explained my situation to her and then asked her what she feels makes her feel whole and she replied “well I’m not to sure to be honest”.

After reflecting on the conversation I felt a very strange feeling very much like anger, as I had conjured visions and thoughts making out that every one of us is walking a tight rope the goal/platform at the end is what we all seek and for me I am not to sure what this is however I imagine it to be ultimate knowledge as this is what I so often seek for in my life and with this I can understand who I am, why I am here etc.

In my daydream there is a safety net under us the tight rope that represented religion, it was like an alternative/ an easy way out from the hard task of walking the tight rope to the goal. It was for people that had given up striving for the goal at the end. This I what angered me the fact that all these people could take an easy way out into religion and feel whole and complete where as the ones who struggle on through life with this empty feeling get, well, nothing but feeling small and with no real reason/purpose in there life its like they are trying to aim for the goal but every time they take a step towards it, it takes 2 steps back.

It sort of seems that the thing that separates us from other animals on the planet is questioning i.e. why, and how. But each time we learn how or why it just makes us ask more questions. Very much like the game played as a child when one person says a sentence such as “The earth is round” and then the second person ask’s “What does round mean” and then the first child will explain what “the shape of a circle or sphere” and the second will ask again, “what does shape mean?” and this can go on forever and ever.

I am very sorry if this has offended any of the readers and it was not intended for this reason at all, however this feeling of emptiness is really driving me crazy now I feel that I could take the easy way out and find a religion however, I feel this will never make me happy as I will know I have taken the easy way out.

I am assured that many teens feel this during some time in their lives and would welcome any comments and hints and tips on trying to once again bring normality back into my life, like when I was a young child with no other worries than I wonder what is for tea, It feels like I have been let out into the big wide world to quickly and just have a ton of questions to ask with no one but myself to help answer them.

Thanks Tom
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom2705
    I have always seen myself as a man of science even at such a young age I have always turned to science to seek my answers in life
    Science is a great tool for figuring out how things work, but it is just not the right tool for the job of finding meaning and purpose in life.

After reflecting on the conversation I felt a very strange feeling very much like anger, as I had conjured visions and thoughts making out that each and every one of us is walking a tight rope the goal/platform at the end is what we all seek and for me I am not to sure what this is however I imagine it to be ultimate knowledge as this is what I so often seek for in my life and with this I can understand who I am, why I am here etc.
    There's no way to know for sure what other people's innermost thoughts and longings are, but my impression is that very few truly care very much about ultimate knowledge or spend much time or effort pursuing it. Apparently, you are part of the minority who cares about such things. It has its rewards and its drawbacks as a way to be, but I would encourage you to follow through on your quest. Trying to fill the emptiness you feel with the preoccupations of daily life probably won't work for long, as you've already found out with playing sports.

In my daydream there is a safety net under us the tight rope that represented religion, it was like an alternative/ an easy way out from the hard task of walking the tight rope to the goal. It was for people that had given up striving for the goal at the end. This I what angered me the fact that all these people could take an easy way out into religion and feel whole and complete where as the ones who struggle on through life with this empty feeling get, well, nothing but feeling small and with no real reason/purpose in there life its like they are trying to aim for the goal but every time they take a step towards it, it takes 2 steps back.
    Whether adopting a ready-made religious belief system is the easy way out depends on the person. I was born into one and it took me quite awhile to learn that it wasn't going to work for me. Nevertheless, it does seem to work for a lot of people, so I don't begrudge them that. My advice is to learn about all of the major religious traditions, compare and contrast their approach to the questions that concern you and take what works for you from each of them. Pay no attention to the partisans of each who threaten you with dire consequences if you don't swallow the whole enchilada. Study, think, and decide for yourself, based on your inner light. This isn't a quick or easy process. It takes a lifetime, but for those who care enough, it is a life well spent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 08:01 PM
    First taking or believing in religion is not an easy way out, it is the hardest of all paths, because some things have to be takn on faith.

And no you can't really just take on religion, unless you really believe, pretending to or just trying to does not work.

But why do you believe you have to be one or the other, I sent years as a engineer and worked as a manger in the Justice Dept. I worked on and helped design many patents and the such. I got invovled in law ( now you can lose your religion there fairly easy) and applied science and law enforcement in varoius ways.

And if you want to have both, there is no problem, the difference is you understand science for what it is, a belief, and mans ideas of what he believes to be true.

Many facts of science are disproved every day with new ideas and things in the mix.

They are today working on machines that will work like the transportor on star trek. While I was at GA Tech I actually saw a machine that made things invisible inside of it.

Science is wonderful but does not have to compete against religion, since most science actually proves a lot of religion.

Take creation, if you believe that matter can not be added only the form of that matter changed, Then you would have to believe in a god of somesort that created all the matter to start with, since matter can not merely create itself, it can merely change its form.

Thus science proves a creation at some level had to have happened.

Actually I can't believe that anyone who studies science can't have to believe in relgion, since there is no other thing that can cuase most of what happens to happen.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2007, 08:12 PM
    I am just wondering if you give of yourself anywhere? I personally find that the more I give of myself the less emptiness I feel. I am very analyical, so it does me good to give from the heart. Maybe that will help a bit... when you have someone or something that looks forward to your presence it tends to make your heart a little warmer.

Hugs, Didi
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Here's a long piece in the NYTimes you might find interesting:

Evolution and Religion - Darwin’s God - Robin Marantz Henig - New York Times
    Tom2705 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Thanks all very much for your time regarding this issue, I have read and taken in all of the points made here. I am very much looking forward to putting into practice all for your suggestions, and great article OrdiaryGuy, really interesting read
    Tom
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

May 25, 2007, 05:56 AM
    All I know is that God has placed a space in our hearts that only He can fill. As you may know that you get different religion and they all can't be right. My best answer would be to read the bible and pray for guidance.
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

May 30, 2007, 12:08 AM
    Your post was so intelligent and thoughtful. I would like to share with you that you read the Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes as it deals with science, religion and human understanding on a grand scale. I love the Science of Mind like no other because it applies to all of us and gives you the tools on how to be and do better. I believe that all the answers you seek are contained by the very depth of that book. And not just because we seek answers about life but because we need answers as people.

While we need practical solutions, we would be so much better if we only knew and accepted that we are literally - yes, literally, one with the universe we live in. There is no separation or division. I am one with God. Or Krishna, or Reality, or the Universe - for we are really talking about the same thing (at least in my opinion).

And the emptiness - when you are full of life, feelings, thoughts and self - all at once, alive and real and connected to all around you. You are very life itself and at 17 your journey is just beginning. There is still so much to do and learn and see. Love and blessings to you.
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

May 30, 2007, 01:02 AM
    The empitness could be from not seeing your right goals. That you maybe traveling down the wrong path and hearing a calling from another. It's not people use religon to take the easy way out, its when we most ask for guidance and help in understanding what we have chosen. The tight rope in your dream may be something to hold onto in case you loose your footing. It's there to allow you to pull yourself up. As for the safety net, that's god there waiting to catch you when you can't hold on any more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feeling like everything is different [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I went away for a three-week course in another city, and since I got back my perception of everything in my life seems different. Not in a bad way - just different - so I am curious to know if anyone else has ever felt like this too. For example, I've always had hang-ups about my...

Feeling Sorry For Ones Self [ 4 Answers ]

How can I stop feeling sorry for myself?

Why I got this feeling? [ 24 Answers ]

Hii my name is caroline hey I don't know I love my man but I'm so insecure , n is not I don't trust him but I been hurt lot of time and I'm just scared that happen again , now my question its this normal in person? Please can some body help me because I think I'm going carzy I can't sleep, I...

Feeling lonely... what to do if anything... [ 14 Answers ]

I've been feeling VERY lonely lately. I'm not sure why really though. I hang out with my friends pretty much daily, but I feel like something is missing. I know this is the time where I really DO NOT need to jump into a relationship, but I don't know what to do about it. I just want someone to care...

I still have feeling for my ex [ 7 Answers ]

Hey You! Well I really like this guy and he asked my out a couple of days ago. I really do like him and would go out with him but for some reason I scared of getting hurt again.I think I still have feeling for my ex. In the past relationship my boyfriend cheated on me with this girl he goes to...

View more questions Search