Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aishu bachan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2012, 10:20 PM
    about raising children as Catholic--or not (I am Hindu)
    I am loving a christian guy,I am a hindu girl born and brought up in religious values,my lovers parents agreed for our marriage,but the promblem is that,I don't want to convert to a christian,we both has disscussed this and convinced our parents,but we have to raise our children in any one religion,otherways it will causee harm to their future,my doubt is can I raise my children as christians ,with their mother bieng a hindu,will christian churhes acccept it or not
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 10:24 PM
    Most Protestant churches, and probably Catholic, will accept their children's Hindu mother. Which church body does he belong to?

Aug 4, 2012, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Most Protestant churches, and probably Catholic, will accept their children's Hindu mother. Which church body does he belong to?
    He belongs to roman catholics,so I can be hindu right.., this is the only way I can make my parents happy,they don't want to see their daughter as a christian,please give me guidance too...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 10:35 PM
    I am Lutheran (Protestant), not Catholic, so I don't know how much guidance I can give you. I know that church will insist on your promising to bring up the children as Catholic. It would be a good thing for you to learn about their teachings, even if you don't become a Catholic yourself, You will need to know and understand the teachings.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 10:36 PM
    I personally believe it would also be a good thing if your children learn about Hinduism too.

Aug 4, 2012, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I am Lutheran (Protestant), not Catholic, so I don't know how much guidance I can give you. I know that church will insist on your promising to bring up the children as Catholic. It would be a good thing for you to learn about their teachings, even if you don't become a Catholic yourself,. You will need to know and understand the teachings.
    I don't have any promblem in raising my children as christians... but I don't want to convert to a christian,we are plaaning a hindu type marriage ,which can make my parents happpy,some of my friends are telling if you are not converting to christian ,you are guy will thrown out of their commuit ,but my lover sayshe will not insiist me to do anything,its my wish,, so from where I can get more infomtaions about catholics systems...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 10:42 PM
    I will move this thread to the Christianity board and watch it. If no action within 24 hours, I will PM Catholic members to post to you.

Aug 4, 2012, 10:43 PM
    You we r planning that also,our chidren should learn to respect every religion,and a model for all... our society people are very narow minded ,even if our parents are willing for interreligious marriages,the outsiders comme with lot of opppositions,u should not allow your daugter to do like his way,your family name will be spoiled... like that,, really aiam confused...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 10:44 PM
    I can only post what I would do, and this may not be agreeable to you.

I was raised Lutheran, my father was Catholic, I chose not to follow either religion. My husband is agnostic.

When we had children we agreed to let them choose for themselves. We've spoken to them about God, religion, beliefs, etc.

My son is now 13. Because I'm still listed as a member of the Lutheran church, and went through confirmation as a Lutheran, earlier this year my son (who was baptized as a Lutheran to please my parents) was sent a letter asking if he'd like to attend confirmation classes. So I sat down with my son and asked him what he'd like to do. At first he was interested, and I said we could check it out. We did. Sadly, when we went, they told him that he couldn't just "give confirmation" a try. It's 2 years of classes, weekly, then a test, then a ceremony, then you're Lutheran. My son couldn't commit to that, didn't want to. So I told him it was okay.

Now he's asking to go to other churches, see what it's about. He's been doing some reading about other religious beliefs.

He's old enough now to choose what he wants to believe. As a Hindu I would definitely discuss your beliefs with your children. I'd also discuss Christianity, and any other belief system out there.

It may be that your children decide to become agnostic. My husband was born to a Catholic family, and never embraced that belief.

Up to you, and your kids.

Good luck. :)
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2012, 12:45 PM
    I guess I must be way out there as a Christian. But I don't understand why a church has the right or power to accept a child based on a parents beliefs. It is NUTS, it isn't biblical and one of the reasons people are put off by church in the first place.

One of the purposes of the Christian church is to reveal the Lord Jesus Christ to people. It is NOT suppose to be an organization that dictates and decides who can and cannot be accepted. If a couple wants to send their child to a christian church one week and then wants to send them to another place other than Christian the next... why is this the churches concern? If they want to practice another religion and send their children solely to a christian church... why is this a problem? Why is this their business? Where is the biblical basis for any of it?

If you want to send your children to a Christian church there are PLENTY of churches out there that will welcome them with open arms. If they don't then what they are teaching isn't any kind of Christianity the bible teaches.
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Classy T, I agree with you. Sadly churches aren't run that way, at least no all churches.

My father was born and raised Roman Catholic. My mother was born and raised Lutheran. When they decided to get married my mother agreed to get married in the Catholic church, and raise any children as Catholic. Only glitch, she wasn't willing to become Catholic herself.

My fathers church wouldn't marry them unless my mom converted to Catholicism. She refused. Finally my dad said "fine, we'll get married in the Lutheran church, they don't have a problem with me remaining Catholic". The Catholic priest told my parents that if they didn't marry in the Catholic church, they were not married, and all their children would be bastards in the eyes of the church.

Maybe that explains why I had such a horrible experience in Catholic school. I wasn't even allowed to go up for a blessing when the other students received communion every time the school went to church. The priest even called for a meeting with my parents to chastise them for not raising me as Catholic.

Left a very bad taste in my mouth. That's why I'm allowing my children to choose for themselves. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2012, 05:22 PM
    Atly,

Your story is unreal, horrible and embarrassing to those who call themselves Christians. I would have a bad taste in my mouth too. There just is no excuse for it. Believe me, it isn't biblical. That doesn't help much now but... just saying.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    The Catholic priest told my parents that if they didn't marry in the Catholic church, they were not married, and all their children would be bastards in the eyes of the church.

This may have been the case in your specific situation. This is no longer the teaching of the Catholic Church. The old wives tale for years and years was that if parents had their marriage annulled their children would be considered bastards. Also not true.

Maybe one Priest, maybe one Church, maybe something that was said some time ago. That is no longer the teaching.

But, yes, I believe it's still the same situation. If you promise to raise your children as Catholics you can marry a non-Catholic in a Catholic Church. At one point no matter what, when you married a non-Catholic, it was in the sacristy, not the church itself.

Of course, I realize that the RC church realized some time ago that pretty soon only a handful of priests and possibly the Pope would be practicing Catholics -

Want excitement? Marry an Orthodox Jew. If a Jewish man and a Christian woman can have a successful marriage I see no problem with a Catholic and a Hindu. I am a little concerned that the OP is so concerned with what her parents think.

Not you, Alty - but I am wary of people who have an opinion on a religion which they know absolutely nothing about. Very easy to judge other people.

I know former drug addicts who are now thumping their Bibles. Do they think nobody notices?
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2012, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Very easy to judge other people.

I know former drug addicts who are now thumping their Bibles. Do they think nobody notices?
    JK,

Seriously? Lol too funny. Perhaps the former drug addicts will turn the other cheek. Lol But you said it best.. very easy to judge other people. You might want to put your words to practice though. At least in the same post... it comes across as hypocritical. Just saying...
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    JK,

Seriously? lol too funny. Perhaps the former drug addicts will turn the other cheek. lol But you said it best..very easy to judge other people. You might want to put your words to practice though. At least in the same post...it comes across as hypocritical. just sayin....

Just sayin' - what part is hypocritical?

I think there are no atheists on death row.

I never had a drug or other problem with addiction -
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
    just sayin' - what part is hypocritical?

I think there are no atheists on death row.

I never had a drug or other problem with addiction -
    What sounds hypocritical is you judging former addicts calling some of them bible thumpers and wondering if people notice. Notice what? Judging is something you have a problem with.. thus it sounds a little hypocritical.

I don't have a clue what death row has to do with this thread.

Good for you that you haven't had a drug or other problem with addiction. Why is this an issue??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 11:21 AM
    Biggest sinners make the best preachers, look who Jesus choose, And out of his 12 one went bad.

As to marry in the Church, to be married in the Catholic Church, they merely have to agree to raise the child in the church, the one party does not have to convert, Sounds like a priest was just refusing personally, not by the rules of the Church ( also depends on how many decades ago this was) But a pastor normally can refuse to marry any if they are not OK with it
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Biggest sinners make the best preachers, look who Jesus choose, And out of his 12 one went bad.

As to marry in the Church, to be married in the Catholic Church, they merely have to agree to raise the child in the church, the one party does not have to convert, Sounds like a priest was just refusing personally, not by the rules of the Church ( also depends on how many decades ago this was) But a pastor normally can refuse to marry any if they are not ok with it
    I will admit, this was a very long time ago. My parents were married for 8 years before they had me, and I'm... okay. It was a long time ago, that's all I'm saying! ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I will admit, this was a very long time ago. My parents were married for 8 years before they had me, and I'm.....okay. It was a long time ago, that's all I'm saying! ;)

I think in the "old days" the individual Priests pretty much ruled the roost. Now Bishops have more authority (at least in my area).

I really don't know how it works anymore - I just remember that Nuns were allowed to smack you whenever it sounded like a good idea.
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 01:43 PM
    I think in the "old days" the individual Priests pretty much ruled the roost. Now Bishops have more authority (at least in my area).

I really don't know how it works anymore - I just remember that Nuns were allowed to smack you whenever it sounded like a good idea.
    Very true. Back then things were different. Also, when I was in high school (Catholic high school), things were different than they are now. That was a while ago. :(

Damn, now I just feel old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic girl wants to marry a Hindu boy. [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Catholic girl who wants to marry a Hindu boy. My parents said that they will only agree if he converts to a Catholic. He is afraid to hurt his parents. How do I go about this? Help needed urgently.

Can hindu girl marry a christian catholic boy? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a Hindu girl and I love a Christian catholic boy. I want to marry him but before that I want to know is there something written regarding not to marry non-Christian in bible? Can I marry him?

Marriage - Catholic and Hindu [ 6 Answers ]

I am Catholic and my boyfriend is Hindu. When it comes to the Catholic church there are a lot of rules about marriage. A rule says that you can marry someone outside your religion if they sign a paper agreeing to raising the kids catholic. Is there a way around this rule? Is there a way to marry...

View more questions Search