Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackfifi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 02:55 PM
    I feel like I screwed up my life.
    I know it sounds bad that I feel this way but I just can't help it. I have been in a relationship with a man for about 4 years now. He has a child who has just turned 8. We have all ways got along fine. Now I have had a baby and it feels like a lot has been taken away from me. The step child's mother has been making it really hard since my child was born and upsetting my partner. As a result I feel like my child and I are second best. It has gotten to a point where I despise the step child (that I hate myself for). On top of that I feel like my child is going to suffer in the future due to the messiness of the situation. Now all I wish is that I found someone without any baggage so that I could have at least had the chance of a picture perfict family. Why Do I feel like I stuffed it up of my child and I.
    jonjons1girl Posts: 85, Reputation: 7

Mar 6, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfifi
    I know it sounds bad that I feel this way but I just can't help it. I have been in a relationship with a man for about 4 years now. He has a child who has just turned 8. We have all ways got along fine. Now I have had a baby and it feels like alot has been taken away from me. The step childs mother has been making it realy hard since my child was born and upsetting my partner. As a result I feel like my child and I are second best. It has gotten to a point where i despise the step child (that I hate my self for). On top of that I feel like my child is going to suffer in the future due to the messiness of the situation. Now all i wish is that I found someone without any baggage so that I could have at least had the chance of a picture perfict family. Why Do i feel like I stuffed it up of my child and I.
    There is no perfect family, hang in there. She is just doing that because she thinks your child will be the 1# kid. Talk to your man and you discuss how you truly feel. DO NOT HATE THAT KID, its not his fault. NONE of it is. If anything he may be feeling some of the attention loss and think that dad doesn't care anymore about him, that dad has a new family and kid. It may sound obsurd but its true, many kids feel like that. You and your man may be able to cut our all of the talking and discussing with the ex and that can lower the problems. You should embrace the child and make him feel welcome and apart of the family. Your man should understand how you and the baby feel about being second. In the end there shouldn't be a #1 and #2. He should have course be considerate with you and your feelings but he should love both children the same. And for this you should not be mad. Good luck sweetie and I hope it all works out.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Please see a doctor first and make sure there are no medical conditions, and then start talking to your man about your concerns as you both need to work together to solve your problems. And yes it is difficult when you have to deal with and ex and their child together. You must accept he has other responsibilities.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Picture perfect? Good luck with that.

A baby can be an incredible stress on a relationship. I think that's a huge part of this. The first 9 mo after mine was born was really tough. Yes, I loved being a father, but boy... there were a lot of things to deal with and it was HARD.

The stepchild deserves all the love you have. The ex has NOTHING to do with your feelings for him. The ex might be making noise through him or your partner, but the child is a child and deserves absolutely no anger.

I know. Its not like you are choosing how you feel. You feel it and are simply stating how you feel. Just make sure you are good to the child. Kids can sense things even when they are not said. You are with the man, you agree to respect and care for his child.

In the meantime, know it DOES get easier as your child grows. I think the first year is tough. The second is easier. Third is even easier. It takes time to find some balance. Give it some time. And try not to be hateful of your partner or his child. The actions of the ex are not their actions... even if its draining energy from your partner. He deserves your support as much as you deserve his.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

I feel nothing.. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm sending this passage with the same title again.. Well.. im sending this message just to speak up my mind -which I believe that it's a healthy habit- but like all the healthy habits we don't start considering them until we cross to the other unhealthy-side. Simply.. I noticed that my...

I feel like every one is against me [ 3 Answers ]

I feel like every one is against me what is my problem

How does she feel? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey my ex contacted me through an online game service w/voice last month and now I hope someone can tell me how she feels. I emailed her saying she could talk to me through email and she emailed back with some odd comments but generally in a good mood she said she would talk to me later. So I...

Help, I feel as though my life is over [ 1 Answers ]

If someone could please help me, I'm feeling so desperate. On 5/30/05, my fiancé (7/31/78) and I (08/08/77) broke up. We met in October of 04, and became engaged on V-Day of this year. On our first date, I felt he was the 'one'. Never in my life did I feel I a connection the way I did with him. We...

View more questions Search