Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fuego Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Where to install main water line shut off valve?
    Home is located at about 6800 ft elevation. Not used in winter. I can install the valve a couple inches off the ground, under the home. Is this a good, safe place where the valve and connecting pipes will not freeze? Or is it better to locate the line in the front yard and try to insert a valve at that point, under ground?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Hi Fuego

I need a little more info. Here, OK?

Do you winterize the place in the winter or leave the heat on?

Do you drain the water lines or blow them down and fill the drain traps with oil/antifreeze?

Seems to me you would want to install the main water shutoff in the house.

Without more info. I'd also have to recommend that you talk to your local codes enforcement people, or the water department in your area as this is a highly specialized installation and I am sure that they have dealt with it and can make the best recommendations for you.

Back to you...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 3, 2012, 04:53 PM
    Do you winterize the place in the winter or leave the heat on?
    Depends! Do you want moe hassle and less heating cost or less hassle with more heating cost. If it were me I'd Blow out the water lines, evacuate the toilet and fill the traps with cooking oil.
    As for the water line I'd check with the Building Department to see where the frost line is and bury the service line and raise into the house where I'd install the shut off valve. I assume you're on a pump. Surface or submersible? Your thoughts! Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shut off the main water valve [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm trying to figure out how to shut off the main water valve in this old home I'm renting I think it was built in 1912

I'd like to install a ball valve on main water line will a "Viperlok" valve work? [ 1 Answers ]

I know sweat soldering a ball valve is best, but will a "push-ft" compression "Viperlok" brand ball valve work?---My pipes are old copper, and have a few minor scratches and pits---I also noticed a seam running down one side of pipe. This water line runs out into garden, but valve is in the house....

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Replace main water shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve on my side of the meter is corroded, how do I shut off the water to replace the valve and can I do it with a ball valve?

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

View more questions Search