Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrs jay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Can a beneficiary take over a mortgage when parent dies?
    My mother had a mortgage on her house when she passed. Her will stated that everything should be divided between all 6 children. One child is not well-off and we signed an agreement that she could assume mortgage. Is this legal? And if she can't get a mortgage, what happens? Is she automatically the owner of the house and she can sell it to repay mortgage?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2012, 04:47 PM
    She can assume the mortgage if the lender agrees. Or the estate can maintain ownership and she pays the mortgage through the estate.

She will not own the property until the deed is transferred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beneficiary of deceased parent 401k [ 3 Answers ]

My deceased mother wanted to leave me and my siblings money from her 401k. She was married when she passed, but her husband was incarcerated. Does he lose all rights to the 401k?

Ex spouse dies with name still on mortgage [ 3 Answers ]

Both our names are on house, we are divorced, do I get the house?

What happens to a mortgage when a person dies [ 2 Answers ]

What happens to a mortgage when a person dies intestate with no life insurance to cover the outstanding debt. Does the account get frozen or does it continue to accrue interest

Noncustodial Parent Dies. [ 11 Answers ]

If a noncustodial parent passed away, will child support orders end? No survivors of the noncustodial parent should be liable for the court order, correct? Lets make this case even more interesting... what if the noncustodial parent has life insurance, but the child(ren) in question are not...

Who gets the estate when the parent dies? [ 8 Answers ]

Recently my boyfriends mother passed away. She owned 2/3 of 70 acres in Texas. Her sister (my boyfriends aunt) owns the other third and wants what that third is worth. My boyfriend is only 19 and his name is not on the deed so now that his mother is gone, can he change the deed to be in his name?...

View more questions Search