Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zshapek68 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 02:15 PM
    If I go to school full time do I still have to pay child support
    My situation is way different than most. My ex was very bitter in our divorce in 2000. We had 4 children. He had a six figure income, I barely made $800/mth. He did everything he could possibly do to financially break me... made outlandish accusations, so after thousands and thousands of dollars wasted, I gave him residential custody which he then asked for $400 in child support. I refused to pay it for about 3yrs which gave me arrears... now three of my kids are passed 18, all had jobs while with him and he won't cooperate with me on settling for $100 in child support for the one who is 16 and maybe $100 going toward arrears... He wants me to go to jail for the arrears,, this man is pure evil!! We are going into court in two weeks and I don't know how to fight on this matter... what are my rights? Ive paid him over $33,000 since 2003 and since 2008 my children have turned 18, have had jobs of their own while living with him and my arrears don't change. Its frustrating and disgusting!

Please help!
    Z
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 02:20 PM
    Your arrears won't change. Arrears are payments you owe, but haven't paid. Until you pay them, they'll stay the same.

I'm a bit confused by your title, since you don't really mention the fact that you're trying to get out of paying child support because you're in school. Doesn't work that way. You helped make these children, therefore you have to help pay for them. Four hundred dollars a month for 4 children, you got a deal!

As for the children that are now adults, you'll have to discuss this with the judge when you're in court.

Aug 3, 2012, 02:24 PM
    Thanks, I got side tracted,, I just wanted for some of my $400 to go toward the arrears like they should have starting in 2008 but I didn't know how to address that issue,, we will see what turmoil happens when I walk in there with no job and I haven't paid anything in 3 months
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zshapek68 View Post
    ... we will see what turmoil happens when I walk in there with no job and I havent paid anything in 3 months
    I suspect the judge may want to throw you in a cell for a few days. You are voluntarily unemployed, have refused to get a job, and as a consequence haven't paid for that length of time.

That's how the court is likely to look at it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 02:32 PM
    You made a choice to give up custody and child support is based on either state min or based on your earnings that you provide to the court.

You owe the money because of the court, his being evil has no bearing on this.

Your refusal to pay makes you wrong and you should easily go to jail and/or lose your drivers license for failure to pay.

At this point it has nothing to do with HIM, it has to do with court orders.

So you can pay or you may go to jail. If the money is wrong, that has to be corrected in court.

Going to school does not make any difference in paying support.

If your income changes, you can go back to court to get support changed.

Aug 3, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I suspect the judge may want to throw you in a cell for a few days. You are voluntarily unemployed, have refused to get a job, and as a consequence haven't paid for that length of time.

That's how the court is likely to look at it.
    I would not say voluntarily unemployed,, I can't find anything,, I'm trying every day... Ive lost my apt so now Im living with a friend,, I am hitting the pavement everyday. I do help out my kids, whether its groceries or $50 here and there since the past 6mths

Aug 3, 2012, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You made a choice to give up custody and child support is based on either state min or based on your earnings that you provide to the court.

Your refusal to pay makes you wrong and you should easily go to jail and/or lose your drivers license for failure to pay.

So you can pay or you may go to jail. If the money is wrong, that has to be corrected in court.

Thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 02:46 PM
    all had jobs while with him ...
    Are you suggesting that the fact they have incomes of their own makes any difference? It doesn't.

I would not say voluntarily unemployed,,, I can't find anything,,, im trying every day ....
    I'm sorry. Your statement that you go to school full time suggests that you are not on the job market. If you can in fact show the court that you are doing your best to pay, that is quite different.
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 02:48 PM
    thanks, i got side tracted,,, I just wanted for some of my $400 to go toward the arrears like they should of starting in 2008 but I didnt know how to address that issue,,, we will see what turmoil happens when I walk in there with no job and I havent paid anything in 3 months
    I'm confused. Are you ordered to pay $400 a month or less than that. If it's $400 a month court ordered child support then why would some of that $400 go towards the arrears? You'd have to pay extra in order to pay off the arrears.

Let me put it this way. If you owe someone $10,000, and you're also court ordered to pay them $400/month for services they provide you, that $10,000 isn't being paid by the $400/month payments for services. You would have to pay more than $400/month in order to start paying off the loan. Do you understand?

Aug 3, 2012, 02:49 PM
    Sorry if I confused you, I was just asking if I went to school would I still have to pay child support... I don't go to school, just asking
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 03:01 PM
    sorry if I confused you,, I was just asking if I went to school would I still have to pay child support.......... I dont go to school,, just asking
    Yes, you would still have to pay.

You see, it doesn't matter that you want to go to school. Your kids, the ones you helped make, still need to eat, need clothes, an education, etc. etc. You can't just choose not to help pay for that because you want to go to school. You can't just go to school to avoid paying. Doesn't work that way.

Children are children, they need to be cared for. As one of the parents of these children, you're responsible to help care for them. The only way you could get out of paying child support is putting the kids up for adoption. Of course the father of these children would have to agree, especially since he has custody.

Aug 3, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Yup
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2012, 04:07 PM
    My situation is way different than most. My ex was very bitter in our divorce in 2000. We had 4 children. He had a six figure income,, I barely made $800/mth. He did everything he could possibly do to financially break me... made outlandish accusations,, so after thousands and thousands of dollars wasted, I gave him residential custody which he then asked for $400 in child support. I refused to pay it for about 3yrs which gave me arrears... now three of my kids are passed 18,, all had jobs while with him and he wont cooperate with me on settling for $100 in child support for the one who is 16 and maybe $100 going toward arrears... He wants me to go to jail for the arrears,,, this man is pure evil!!! We are going into court in two weeks and I dont know how to fight on this matter... what are my rights? Ive paid him over $33,000 since 2003 and since 2008 my children have turned 18,, have had jobs of their own while living with him and my arrears dont change. Its frustrating and disgusting!

please help!
    Z

I don't see anything terribly unusual in this. You could have gone back to Court and had the support amount reduced, if you qualified. You didn't do that.

There was Court-ordered support which you refused to pay because (apparently) you didn't feel you had to pay ANYTHING to support your children.

Arrears means "past due." The fact that the children are now legal age does not change "past due."

I don't think you have a defense. I also don't think your "ex" is pure evil. You COULD have fought to have residential custody and get support from him.

You didn't do that.

You are considering going back to school to avoid child support? You are amazing!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 4, 2012, 12:56 AM
    I'm totally puzzled as to how this all happened in the first place. How does a spouse who 'barely makes $800/mo' get ordered to pay a spouse who 'makes 6 figures' $400/mo? Why weren't you fighting for equal custody and child support from him? Something isn't making sense to me.

Aug 4, 2012, 07:15 PM
    Lizett: Im sorry they upset you,, I take it with a grain of salt. Everyone on here seems to have an opinion rather than good legal advice, which was all I asked for, not someone's opinion. I simply asked a question, I never said I wasn't going to pay child support, matter of fact, Ive paid over $33,000 since 2003 so I am far better of a parent than most who don't pay.

My story is very unusual and most people do not understand it and then they start with their stupid misconceptions on why I don't have "residential" custody. If you've never live it, don't judge other people. People assume they lose or give up their kids because they didn't want the kids or they did drugs or horrible things, quite the opposite in my story. I don't have to explain anything to any of you but I will so you can have some sort of knowledge you have never experienced and I hope you never will!

After ten years of marriage and 4 children I asked for a divorce. I didn't ask for anything other than child support,, no allimony, no stock, no profit sharing, nothing so in 1998, we both had shared custody with me having residential... with about $2400 in child support. In March of 2000 he lost his job and had to be transferred to CO,, he asked me to go so I did,, It didn't work out so I moved back to our old house. I told him I was moving back and where and when but he made it look like I had kidnapped the children and was worried for their safety, which was a crock! He hired an attorney and slapped me with a restraining order as soon as spring break was over and the kids were safe in school. He had me spend so much money, he wanted to financially ruin me and he did. He asked the judge for a temp emergency hearing and asked to move back to co with the children while I completed numerous of things to prove I was a safe parent... he had his lawyer draw up a fictitious piece of paper to make it look as if my 10yr old son typed it up and had him sign it even though my son didn't know what he was signing.

I had two pyschological evaluations at $800 a pop, several meetings with therapists at twice a week,, which costs a lot of money, even with insurance, two home studies,, and in the mean time try to pay my bills, child support that was ordered and fly back and forth to CO twice a month. With lawyers and retainers fees plus all of the above, I must of spent over $30,000. He had a six figure income to my $12/hr job, so was that fair? This went on from March 2000- Sept 2000... during which that time, I lost almost everything, two cars and I sold my house,, the attorneys told me they wanted $11,000 more dollars to keep fighting or else they would no longer represent me,, I didn't have it, so THEY suggested for me to give him residential custody because financially I didn't have a winning chance. Against what I really wanted I did it. During the past 12yrs, all I have done is fight and fight against this man,, he hid the children from me, wouldn't answer my phone calls, wouldn't give them my letters or gifts in the mail, he told them that I didn't love them or wanted to see them,, tell me, how can someone with money get away with this? I have no issue with paying child support, clearly I have but now, three of my children are over 18 and things have to be appropriate according to that. As for the lady above me, you did the right thing in protecting the rest of your children against the other child. I have been there done that.

Aug 4, 2012, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't see anything terribly unusual in this. You could have gone back to Court and had the support amount reduced, if you qualified. You didn't do that.

There was Court-ordered support which you refused to pay because (apparently) you didn't feel you had to pay ANYTHING to support your children.

Arrears means "past due." The fact that the children are now legal age does not change "past due."

I don't think you have a defense. I also don't think your "ex" is pure evil. You COULD have fought to have residential custody and get support from him.

You didn't do that.

You are considering going back to school to avoid child support? You are amazing!
    You don't know my ex... I posted just the few things that he has done, he is pure Evil Ms. Investigator

Aug 4, 2012, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

Soke? Im not refusing to pay,, where did you get that? I have been looking for a job every single day and there is nothing so far,, I haven't refused a job either, one hasn't been offered yet!

Aug 4, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post

You didn't do that.

No I did not go back to school to get out of child support. I have many issues on this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 08:44 PM
    Soke? Im not refusing to pay,,, where did you get that? I have been looking for a job every single day and there is nothing so far,,, I havent refused a job either, one hasnt been offered yet!
    Sorry in your first post you posted

" I refused to pay it for about 3yrs which gave me arrears" so I got the fact that you refused to pay because you told us you refused to pay.

Aug 4, 2012, 09:06 PM
    I did in the beginning, but then I started to because I was pissed off! I am referring to other things that was said that you guys think that Im a dead beat mother who wants to get out of paying child support, I simply asked a question, I've been paying cs since 2003

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to pay child support if my child is 18 and working full time [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 18 living with his mother and working full time he is doing online classes... florida stopped child support at 18 because he was living with me now his mother is trying to get me to pay again because he is doing online classes

Do I have to pay child support even if my child is working full time [ 5 Answers ]

My child lives in NY and is nineteen he works full time I know they changed the law a few years ago from 18 to 21. He still lives at home is there any guidelines on this or do you just have to pay till 21

Does a father still have to pay child support if their child is 15 and quits school [ 4 Answers ]

Both of my husbands children quit school when they were 15 years old are we required to still pay child support for either of them

If you give full custody to a grandparent do you still have to pay child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I gave my mother custody of my son 7 years ago and now welfare is taking me for child support.do I have to pay if his grandmother has legal full custody?

If my daughter is 18 and a full time student do I still pay child support [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 18 and has a baby girl. Her mother asked her to leave the house about a month before her 18 b-day. I have been paying her mother child support. The divorce decree? Does state that I am only obligated to do so until she turns 18. My question is can I ask for support from the mother...

View more questions Search