Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alaska9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 12:24 PM
    Drainage on a wooden porch
    West facing wooden porch floor surrounded on 3 sides by brick, one side being the house the other 2 being knee walls/railing, the 4th side is the stairs.

Porch boards run perpendicular to home and have a nice fall away from the house but have all gotten puny/soft at the end grain where they end up against the brick knee wall. We will make sure the new boards we are laying will end a little short and cover gap w/quarter round.

The knee wall does have 2 "spigots", decorative type pieces for dranage of the surface water after a rain. Just wondering if there is anything we can do besides, sealing the end grain, maximize airflow, etc. to help protect the end grain.

Unfortuntaly his wife did not want a composite material.

Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 01:19 PM
    Having a little trouble visualizing what you have described. You said boards run perpendicular to the house, could you have meant parallel?

I assume you are talking about tongue and groove boards, not deck boards. Are you using pressure treated material.

Sealing the ends and silicone between the quarter round and the board will help but the ends will decay first because they absorb the most water. Treated material would be best. One problem with treated material is that paint will not last very long if subjected too much direct sunlight.
    Alaska9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 01:53 PM
    The boards do run perpendicular, (away) from the home and the steps up to the front porch are on the side. Using Douglas Fir tongu-n-groove. Will be painted and primed, ( 4-sides)
    SpringtimeHomes Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Aug 4, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Surely you meant 6 sides including the ends. It would be best to use CPES and epoxy on the ends. This could extend the life of the boards to 75-100 years if the paint is maintained. Check out Rot Doctors website.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older zu spayed I have doggy door goes to porch npees on porch. Help [ 0 Answers ]

I have older female shi tzu spayed .She pees in every room in house. I take her out side and she has a doggy door to porch and one to outside run. She insists on going pee and poo on the porch. I have two other shi tzu's and they both go out. If I am in my chair she will ask to go out but if I'm...

How old is my wooden desk? [ 2 Answers ]

I bought my desk at a Thrift Store. It is a darker wood and it seems to have the original handles. The handles have K 28 and K 29 stamped on the back of each one. On the bottom of one of the drawers it says Raymond Co. #50 stamped on it. There are some carvings that look like some floral design. I...

Painting wooden [ 2 Answers ]

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5365/picturep.jpg Does anyone know how much paint it would take to do this and how many paint colors? The cutouts will be outside, so I need to know how much primer too? Thanks!

Wooden Porch - paint suggestions [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have any advice on painting a wooden porch floor? I've sanded ALL the old paint off. Bare wood, either pine or fir (mixed, from repairs and such). What's the best and most durable coating? Thanks, Stew

View more questions Search