Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    subarufan78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Are blinds/ window covers required to be provided by landlord/ property manager?
    Just moved into a rental property. When viewing the house we were told that blinds would be included and that water, sewer and trash were paid for. After the lease was signed, we were told that no blinds would be provided and no utilities included. Is this misrepresentation? If so what can we do to make things right? Is it unlawful, and what steps should I take to correct this?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Your problem is what lawyers call the "parole evidence rule". What it means is that, when oral pre-contract commitments are not contained in the written contract (the lease), the written contract controls. It the writing doesn't mention it, you are probably out-of-luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2012, 09:45 AM
    I would check with the local housing department. I believe an landlord is required to provide some window coverings. These can be cheap rollup shades but they can't leave the windows without some covering.

As for the utilities, if its not in the lease, I think you are out of luck. Unless you have some proof that these things were promised, you are stuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm trying to hang blinds (interior window mount). [ 2 Answers ]

The building is concrete, cinder block, brick. Built in the 1920s. The windows are 54 1/4 inch wide and 80 or so inches tall. I've drilled through about 1/2 inch mortar and hit what must be a steel frame above and on both sides of this window. Even as far as 3 inches in from the glass. The...

I lived at the rental for 7years and my landlord is charging me for blinds is this le [ 5 Answers ]

Can a landlord keep my deposit for blinds that are at least 11years old

I lived at the rental for 7years and my landlord is charging me for blinds is this le [ 1 Answers ]

I rented the granney unit 7years ago and I just moved out 8/1/10 and my landlord is trying to keep my deposit for the purpuse to by new blinds and I believe that should consiturd normal wear and tear

Landlord hasn't provided new lease to sign [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida. I signed a 1 year lease (ends on Aug 1st) with the following terms: 60 written notice to terminate lease If no party provides intent the lease shall convert to month to month at an increase to market value(currently $500 more then I currently pay) + 10%(not to exceed 250)...

View more questions Search