Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JessicaW8 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2012, 06:20 PM
    I am 18 and being severely abused but my parent says I'm not allowed to move out.
    I have a place to go and my other parent wants me to move out too. I have been physically, mentally, verbally, and sexually abused all my life by the parent who will not let me move out. I am neglected and suicidal but they still go on abusing me. Can I just get out or can they legally keep me and keep abusing me?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 2, 2012, 06:24 PM
    Your "good" parent has to go to court for this. Or call CPS.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 2, 2012, 06:24 PM
    If you are in the US, all 50 states recognize you as an adult at 18, and you are free to go.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 2, 2012, 06:25 PM
    I missed the age. Joypulv is right.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2012, 06:28 PM
    Yes at 18 you are free to go. And I would go straight to the nearest police station and report the abuse, especially sexual abuse.

And please write back and let us know you are OK.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Agree, you just go out and don't come back, have other parent come pick you up.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 2, 2012, 07:05 PM
    Get out as fast as you can! You've been abused for way too long. Time to make a change for a new life! Take care!!
    JessicaW8 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2012, 06:39 AM
    Does it change the legal part since I'm still in school?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 3, 2012, 07:05 AM
    You are considered an adult in the US at age 18. Is this where you are located?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2012, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaW8 View Post
    Does it change the legal part since I'm still in school?
    No it shouldn't, but if you are still in HS and being abused. Then you should talk to the school guidance counselor and report it IMMEDIATELY. Please do so today. They will get the proper people involved.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 3, 2012, 11:36 AM
    I'm guessing that school is out for the summer?
    Just GO, and make sure you have protection from being dragged out their house. You SHOULD tell the police so that you have them on notice, and so that you can tell the abusing parent that the police have been told.
    I notice you call him or her 'they' instead of saying which parent - don't worry you are anonymous here as long as the parent isn't seeing what you do online. But it's time to stop being anonymous, the second you are OUT OF THAT HOUSE and safely somewhere else. That part is important so that you will be in less danger.
    Please tell us you have gone - today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are you allowed to move out when your 18? [ 3 Answers ]

My dad is trying to tell me I'm not allowed out when I'm 18. Still in school. And going to college after school. I get out in may. Turn 18 in November. I'll technically be legal. So why is he telling me I'm not allowed out

Non-custodial parent allowed to extened court ordered [ 1 Answers ]

S the Non-custodial parent allowed to extened court ordered visitation with out agreement from custodial Parent

How to get rid of a roommate who was allowed to move in against our will [ 2 Answers ]

It's a little complicated. I have one roommate who I maved in here with; she's the only one on the lease. I took the small office room as a sublet, which the landlord said was tied to her rent. He showed the open room in our 2br to a woman with a dog I'm allergic to, and let her move in despite the...

Rights for unmarried parent when the other parent wants to move out of state. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I am worried about my grandson. His mother is thinking about moving to WYOMING! My son and she are not married and I would like to know what his rights are. Can she just pick up and move? Can we as grandparents so anything to prevent her from moving somewhere that we cannot see our...

Am I allowed to move out of state [ 8 Answers ]

I am confused on whether I will beable to move out of state with my child after my divorce is final? Is it possible for me to take my child and move out of state with him? Would I have to have sole custody?

View more questions Search