Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vadrine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2004, 11:59 PM
    Cat Behavior Change
    Hi,
    I have an 11 year old cat who has , over the past few weeks, become more withdrawn and just acting.. different. He doesn't come when he's called, he kind of hides from everyone and the other cats (one his brother and one his best friend). He just has lost the spring in his step and even his body stance is different. His eating habits and everything are the same. I'm not sure what it could be. I know I need to take him to the vet, just kind of dragging my heels. Thought I'd check here first.

Any replies would be appreciated.
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2005, 02:24 PM
    For a cat that age, I'd recommend taking him to the vet. It is common for them to start having thyroid problems when they get older, so that would be a good thing to check. Keep an eye on his eating and drinking behaviors, and his weight. Weight loss is a big sign of thyroid disease.
    He may just be slowing down in his old age, but it's always a good idea to do a geriatric checkup and get baseline values on bloodwork, urine levels, and glucose levels (they can get diabetes like humans, also).
    Hope all is well.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 2, 2005, 07:47 PM
    Hello,

Make sure your cat is urinating and stooling appropriately. Cats can become blocked (esp. males) and/or constipated. If either of these occur, it is an emergency situation and needs to be seen immediately.

Is your cat obese? Has there been some change in the household (a death, someone moving in or out, workmen, etc.)? What kind of food is your cat eating? Has this cat always been the shy/easily stressed type?

I agree with Tiger that some labwork is in order but don't ignore any external stressors that might be causing issues or behavioral changes.

If you are not already, think about feeding a high quality diet for older cats such as Iams Hairball or Hill's Advance Protection Senior.

Please don't drag your feet on this. By the time a cat starts showing signs of illness, it can almost be too late.

Keep us advised of your cat's health.

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat behavior change [ 4 Answers ]

My male cat has been acting strangely the last couple of days. He usually does not like to sit with people, and dislikes being bothered, but lately this has changed. He has been sleeping in weird places, like under desks, and comes and curls up next to people. Also if you pick him up and set him...

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

ODD dog behavior [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Terrier lab mix... or mutt how ever you look at it. He has developed on behaviors. We often times go to socialize at a friends house who has a dog. They play and have a great time. He never spends the night there or anything. He is very happy while he there. But for the...

Sudden change in cat's behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Several months ago I adopted a cat from the humane society - shortly after I got her - she stopped eating, so I took her to the humane society vet clinic. It turned out her bone marrow stopped producing red blood cells and she was Jaundice - and had to be put to sleep. The humane society said I...

View more questions Search