Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmichie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 12:34 PM
    Records?
    Hi. My partner and I have separated since April last year. The HMRC have written to me to ask me why I have not claimed as a joint couple. He lives with his dad and sometimes stays here because we have 2 children together - who miss him and love having him stay over. He still uses this address as his postal address. The HMRC have asked for evidence that we are separated - but I don't have any 'records'. I haven't called them yet. I'm not sure what to say or do as I can’t prove anything. I'm really worried I'm going to be prosecuted or charged a penalty even though I haven't done anything wrong. Can you advise me on what type of evidence they may require?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 12:48 PM
    You are in the UK? (Must be, because HMRC stands for Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs"".)

You should respond by explaining the reason you don't feel you have to file jointly. You also might submit evidence (an affidavit from him, as well as from his father perhaps, that he has been living with his father). It appears to me that you might not have sufficient cause to file jointly, but I am not familiar with the tax code in your jurisdiction. Did you use a commercial tax preparation service? If so, they might be willing to assist you. Is he paying you child support?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Records [ 1 Answers ]

My father was naturalized around 1929-1933 in Washington DC. How can I get copies of those records?

Us and uk records [ 0 Answers ]

Did something really stupid over 7 years ago and was convicted to less than a year in fed. Do the usa and uk share criminal records as after sentence was deported? Won't ever go back but been scared to find out much more than research over the net. Just want to go on and I don't even know if my...

Records [ 7 Answers ]

I need a second opinion. My records were requested last week but the clinic's dragging their feet. The new clinic requested them over a week ago. Can I march in there and demand them? Can they refuse to hand them over? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Tom

Medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does HIPPA affect the person to have access to their medical records?

Is it possible for me to get the records [ 3 Answers ]

Two years ago someone called 911 because of the door being ajar. The question is do police keep this records and if so can you tell me how to get it. Or can the lawyer get the report?

View more questions Search