Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qmaster Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 10:22 AM
    Iit question
    a bus is beginning to move with an accleration of 1 m/s^2. A boy who is 48m behind the bus starts running at 10m/s. after whattime will he be able to catch the bus?
    a. 6s b. 8s c. 10
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 10:59 AM
    First you need to set up the equations of motion for the bus and the boy - do you know what they are?
    qmaster Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    First you need to set up the equations of motion for the bus and the boy - do you know what they are?
    No I don't... plz help me
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 2, 2012, 05:01 AM
    You need to memorize and know how to use the following equation, which gives the position of an object as a function of time depending on its initial position x_0, its initial velocity v_0, and its acceleration a:

For the boy to catch the bus you need to find the value for time when

What do you think the values of x_0, v_0, and a are for the bus and the boy? Clearly you have to decide whether you want to base this on either the starting point of the bus (i.e. set x_0 for the bus = 0 and x_0 for the boy = -48) or base it on the starting point of the boy (set x_0 = 0 for the boy and x_0 =+48 for the bus). It really doesn't matter which of these you choose; you just need to be consistent. So now set up the equation and solve for t. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to crack iit jee? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in class8 which book should I read for iit foundation

Can I get add iit jee [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing my diploma after this can I get add iit jeeand I have not done my 12th?? pllll give me full info...

Iit-viii class [ 2 Answers ]

An athelete completes one round of a circler track of radius R in 40S. The displacement of the athelete at the end of 20 min 20s is

View more questions Search