Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SK0857 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 03:27 PM
    What is the likely punishment for using a "discount card" which was not mine
    A few months ago, I had found a discount card of a departement sdtore in my city, and I used it many times.

This has been discovered by CCTV of the shop and they asked me to respond why did I do.

Of course, my response is who won't use it, if you find a card which you don't need to provid a ID card to use it, and you just show to the tile point and they put the discount in the mashine.

I would like to know what would be happen for using this card and what would be the punishment for me?

I'm a female 55 years old.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SK0857 View Post
    A few months ago, I had found a discount card of a departement sdtore in my city, and I used it many times.

This has been discoverd by CCTV of the shop and they asked me to respond why did I do.

Of course, my response is who won't use it, if you find a card which you don't need to provid a ID card to use it, and you just show to the tile point and they put the discount in the mashine.

I would like to know what would be happen for using this card and what would be the punishment for me?

I'm a female 55 years old.
    For starters a LOT of people wouldn't use it. I, for example, would consider it to be fraudulent use, so I wouldn't use it.

Anyway - I wouldn't use that excuse/response.

Have you been charged with a crime? Where are you?

Jul 31, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Not yet, but, I have an interview in the police station this afternoon, and I have to explain them what was happened. I don't know what I have to say and justify my mistake and what they will decied for me as punishement?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:03 AM
    Not yet, but, I have an interview in the police station this afternoon, and I have to explain them what was happend. I don't know what I have to say and justify my mistake and what they will decied for me as punishement?
    Don't go to the interview.

Tell them that you refuse to answer on advice of legal professionals. I.e.: "take the Fifth".

Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

I'm assuming, of course, that you are in the U.S. If you are in some other country, usually there are similar laws which apply.

You didn't know you were doing anything wrong. That's the line that your attorney (if you have one) should take. But you, personally, should keep your mouth shut.

The police don't get to decide punishment, if and when you are convicted of something. That's for a judge to decide.

Aug 1, 2012, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Don't go to the interview.

Tell them that you refuse to answer on advice of legal professionals. I.e.: "take the Fifth".

Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

I'm assuming, of course, that you are in the U.S. If you are in some other country, usually there are similar laws which apply.

You didn't know you were doing anything wrong. That's the line that your attorney (if you have one) should take. But you, personally, should keep your mouth shut.

The police don't get to decide punishment, if and when you are convicted of something. That's for a judge to decide.
    Thank you for your response. I'l like to know my act(using a shop's discount card which I found it) is a crim and a fraud? Even, when I use it, they never asked me to show any ID or signature, etc, and this is how this kind of cards works, anyone can use it, they don't check identity of the person.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:20 AM
    Was there a name on the discount card ?

How did they figure out or find out you were not the one to use the card.

How much of a discount and what type of stores? How much did you use it, and how much discount did you get.

Sorry if this is 5 or 10 percent for a few items, I just can't see the police getting involved?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:22 AM
    Where you live, if in the US each state has its own laws.

Again, what type of card? And discount and where to. An employee discount card, I mean I have in my wallet some drug store discount cards, anyone can get one, and I could not see using it would be.

Now a card for example to a club store, where you have to pay for the discount membership would be different.

Aug 1, 2012, 05:27 AM
    Thank you for your kind answer.

Could you tell me if it's a "crime or "fraud" using a shops discount card when we find it? This card is very simple to be used by anyone, as there is no pin or they don't ask any ID cards, or signature or any thing, they just see the card and put the discount to the tile, so, everybody can use it. I'm soooooooo worried what I have to say to them to be save? I did a big mistake using this and I really regret it, I didn't want to have any trouble with them.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Thank you for your kind answer.

Could you tell me if it's a "crime or "fraud" using a shops discount card when we find it? This card is very simple to be used by anyone, as there is no pin or they don't ask any ID cards, or signature or any thing, they just see the card and put the discount to the tile, so, everybody can use it. I'm soooooooo worried what I have to say to them to be save? I did a big mistake using this and I really regret it, I didn't want to have any trouble with them.

You aren't answering the questions - is there a NAME on the card, a NAME which is not yours? There would have to be or it wouldn't be misuse.

If it's a card issued to a person then, yes, it's fraud to use it if you aren't that person. How did you get "caught"?

What type of discount? What percentage or dollar amount?

Aug 1, 2012, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Was there a name on the discount card ?

How did they figure out or find out you were not the one to use the card.

How much of a discount and what type of stores? How much did you use it, and how much discount did you get.

Sorry if this is 5 or 10 percent for a few items, I just can't see the police getting involved?
    I live in UK, they saw me on the CCTV camera footage. I had pay by my card so they have my name. The discount is 12% for food drinks and 25% divers. I've used it several times for a maximum of about £100 all the discount is.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2012, 05:39 AM
    You still haven't answered the question. If this card in any way identifies the person it was issued to, then its fraud. If it doesn't, then I don't see how they can even track its use.

Aug 1, 2012, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You aren't answering the questions - is there a NAME on the card, a NAME which is not yours? There would have to be or it wouldn't be misuse.

If it's a card issued to a person then, yes, it's fraud to use it if you aren't that person. How did you get "caught"?

What type of discount? What percentage or dollar amount?
    Yes, it was a name on the car, but, not very clrearly readible.

I caught by cctv camera. And they find my name by my card that I paid the purchass.

12% for food and 25% for divers items. I used about £100 discount, in totally.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2012, 05:43 AM
    Yes, it was a name on the car, but, not very clrearly readible.

I caught by cctv camera. and they find my name by my card that I paid the purchass.

12% for food and 25% for divers items. I used about £100 discount, in totaly.

You are in the UK? The Fifth Amendment advice does not apply, of course.

Yes, 100 pounds, I think you'll be prosecuted.

Aug 1, 2012, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You still haven't answered the question. If this card in any way identifies the person it was issued to, then its fraud. If it doesn't, then I don't see how they can even track its use.
    Yes, it was a name on the card with a signature, but, when you use this card, the cashier doesn't check the ID or your signature to verify if you are the real card holder. In my knowledge of this card, everybody can use it, and I've seen other people who use them regulary for their friends and family to buy something with discount.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:48 AM
    Yes, it was a name on the card with a signature, but, when you use this card, the cashier doesn't check the ID or your signature to verify if you are the real card holder. In my knowledge of this card, everybody can use it, and I've seen other people who use them regulary for their friends and family to buy something with discount.
    So you knew you were using it fraudulently since there was a name on the front and a signature on the back. Doesn't matter that it's hard to read.

The numbers on the card were assigned to a specific person or entity. And it's quite possible that this card was reported stolen by that person or entity.

Aug 1, 2012, 05:59 AM
    How can I denfend and protect myselfe to have less trouble with them. If I tell them all the true, that, I used this card I didn't relised it was really dangrouse for me.

Aug 1, 2012, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    So you knew you were using it fraudulently since there was a name on the front and a signature on the back. Doesn't matter that it's hard to read.

The numbers on the card were assigned to a specific person or entity. And it's quite possible that this card was reported stolen by that person or entity.
    Thank you for your usfull answer.

Could you please tell me how can I justify this stupid mistake, to prevent ahving gbig trouble? I'm so worried and I really regrat what did I do.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 06:18 AM
    Thank you for your usfull answer.

Could you please tell me how can I justify this stupid mistake, to prevent ahving gbig trouble? I'm so worried and I really regrat what did I do.
    If you have not yet hired a solicitor, that should be the first thing you do.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 06:19 AM
    How can I denfend and protect myselfe to have less trouble with them. If I tell them all the true, that, I used this card I didn't relised it was really dangrouse for me.
    But you DID know that this was fraud, bordering on theft.

Aug 1, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    If you have not yet hired a solicitor, that should be the first thing you do.
    Thank you for your response.

Yes, I had ask a solicitor to come with me to the Police station and help me for the interview.

I'm soooooo anxious and very stress. I don't know what they will decide to do. What would be happen in case they charge me for "fraud" and what will be the sentecne if I go to the court?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

Will a felony stop me from receiving a "z" card or merchant mariners card? [ 2 Answers ]

I was convicted of burglary of an unoccupied conveyance (car) and grand larceny Less than $3000 and felony criminal mischief! I received pretrial intervention and this is my only offence ever! The terms to my pre trial is that when it is over, my case shows up as ajudication withheld. Will this...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Illegal "collective punishment" [ 8 Answers ]

Critics say the fuel reductions to Gaza amount to that, but is it really true? Gaza's main power plant began shutting down on Sunday due to a fuel shortage caused by Israel's closure of the Hamas-controlled territory's borders, a move taken in response to Palestinian rocket attacks. ...

View more questions Search