Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 31, 2012, 02:42 PM
    Father has no license, truck in daughters name, dilemma
    Hey everyone,

My dad has a truck that he purchased last year, and after making him promise me (in writing no less) and my mother that he would not be driving the truck, I put it in my name (can we say stupid?) He drives it daily, everywhere, even to and from bars.

The truck is in my name, as is the insurance. He has now missed 2 insurance payments to me (I pay automatically, he just pays me a set amount directly to me), saying he doesn't have money, but he has money to take his girlfriend out to movies, dinner, wherever she wants to go.

He hasn't had a valid license for close to 8 years now - failure to transfer a title and failure to pay fines.

I get that he's my dad, but this isn't the first time he's put me in a situation similar to this, and he just seems to be regressing.

So here is my question:
    How do I tell him that I don't want to be responsible in case something happens with the truck? He has a temper, so I need to do this in a way that won't really set him off.

Thanks for your help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Don't explain anything, whose name is the truck in ? Yours ? Or someone else ? They are the one that can get fined and sued if something happens also.

But give him a date perhaps a month out, don't talk, don't explain, tell him of that date you will no longer insure the truck, even if he pays ( expect to write off what he has not paid)
    Then cancel the insurance on that date.

Inform who ever has the truck in their name.

If the truck is titled and registered to you, cancel that on that date, fill out the title as if you are selling it to him, note it, and send it to him, informing DMV of the sale if he does not register it his self.
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 31, 2012, 07:54 PM
    That's what I was thinking, I guess I just have to deal with him not being happy. But I'm an adult and if he can't have an adult relationship and make adult choices himself then I shouldn't worry about it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 08:17 PM
    As a adult you have to deal with people who are selfish and will not do the right thing.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2012, 04:03 AM
    And during that month you wait, pray that he doesn't cause an accident resulting in a lawsuit against you and remember that damages against you are not limited to the amount of insurance coverage you have (and the insurance company would probably not pay based on the fraudulent conditions you have described anyhow).
    I am not an expert but that is my understanding of how it could come down.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 1, 2012, 04:20 AM
    It's all in your name - he basically gave it to you. Get a key if you don't have one and move it in the middle of the night, to a friend's or relative's he won't guess. Give them a commission to sell it for you. Give him the proceeds, minus what he owes for insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My daughters father! [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 4 months old and her dad has been around for the first month of her life then decided he didn't want to be around me so he was only seeing our daughter twice every month and now he barely sees her like once a month if that. He has recently wanted to take her alone but he doesn't pay...

How can I see my daughters father has custody? [ 1 Answers ]

My two daughters father and his parents have custody of my two daaughters . I had visitation rights many years ago that I broke due to having to go to the fathers parents house with them their and treating me really bad. Therefore I have not seen my daughters for like 6 years . I have been to the...

Friend's father deceased, girlfriend dilemma [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am 16 and my friend's father passed away a bit over a month ago all of a sudden from a heart embelism. He was 53. Our whole group has been extremely supportive to our friend, i.e. always being there and encouraging him to express his feelings. In the past few weeks, our friend...

GM truck license plate bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to change the license plate bulbs on a 1998 GMC Jimmy? They don't appear to be accessible from the bottom. What's the secret?

View more questions Search