Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoJo3210 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 07:47 AM
    How do I transfer my house title deed into my ex husbands name?
    My husband and I have divorced recently and the house is in both our names. I need to transfer it into his name ony. How do I go about this?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2012, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo3210 View Post
    My husband and I have divorced recently and the house is in both our names. I need to transfer it into his name ony. How do I go about this?
    First question, and this is important, is there a mortgage on it?

Jul 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Yes, there is still a mortgage on it still.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 09:37 AM
    It's complicated. If you had an attorney for the divorce, he or she should have explained to you that, even if title to the house is transferred to your ex husband, you will remain obligated under the mortgage note. If your ex husband defaults, you could remain liable for the deficiency.

I assume you were unrepresented by counsel in the divorce since, if you were, your lawyer should have handled this for you. Most mortgages have what is called a "due on sale" clause. What that means is that unless you get the bank's permission to transfer title to your ex husband, such a transfer might make you in default of the mortgage. So you should see about getting the bank's permission before you do anything else.

Jul 31, 2012, 09:45 AM
    Thank you for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If my husbands name is not on the house title can I kick him out? [ 2 Answers ]

My father is on the house title with me. My husband has been having violent episodes. I have a young daughter. Can I legally kick him out if his name is not on the house title?

Transfer of title/Deed [ 3 Answers ]

My sister owns a house in Oregon with a lot of equity but way too much debt. She is also carrying huge personal credit card debt. She rents a room to my father who at 95yrs is cogent. Has a sizebable bank acct as well as a navy pension and has great credit. He has recently helped pay her...

Removing husbands name from deed to house [ 2 Answers ]

I have refinanced my condo in my name only and now need to remove ex's name from the deed. How do I do this

House Title in husbands name, Florida [ 6 Answers ]

Married 11 yrs. In Florida, how is the house "distributed" between us in a divorce? He had the house 5 yrs before we were married. Only his name is on the title. Florida is "equitable distribution" state. It is paid for, with exception of Home Equity Loan of $30K. Do I have any rights...

View more questions Search