Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michael Phelan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2004, 10:30 AM
    Basement Washer/Softener drain running slowly.
    The drain for my Water Softener, Washer, and basement sink sits behind my washer. It is a 2 inch PVC pipe that comes out of the wall, has a visible trap, and stands vertically about 2 feet. The washer drains into the top and the Softener and sink water enter the pipe through a PVC that joins the standing pipe 1.5 feet below the top.

My problem is that this pipe is draining slow and I can't figure out where the issue is. I have sent my drain snake into the pipe completely, all eight feet, and felt no resistance to issue. When I put water into the pipe, however, it fills to the top before I've poured out even 1/2 a gallon. I just can't figure out how the pipe can seem to be open but run so slowly.

Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks in advance! :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 31, 2004, 11:28 AM
    Basement Washer/Softener drain running slowly.
    Hi Michael,

Your pipe is not open and a piddly 8' snake ain't going to open it.
    You have a partial in the branch line beyond where your snake can reach.
    You can try with a longer cable to go down the washer stand pipe but a better shot would be to go rent a sewer machine, go up on the roof and come down the vent stack that vents the washer. Put out enough cable after you hit the bend at the base of the stack to get out into the house main. After you snake out the drain, cycle the washer to flush out the line.
    Good luck and Happy New Year, Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2005, 08:35 PM
    I had a similar problem. Got Roto Rooter to run a sewer machine threw it. No more problems... ( ps. I also was able to run 15 feet of a snake in the drain pipe before the roto rooter guy came but it didn't help).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I...

Tub Drain Very slowly [ 5 Answers ]

I am having trouble with a tub drain in a house that I have just moved into. The tub take about an hour to drain. I have tried drain cleaners, and they help a little for a short time but will still take 20 to 30 minutes to drain. I have tried to pulling out the drain lever on the tub witch is a rod...

Basement washer won't drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GE washer installed in a basement. The drain inlet is 7 ft above the floor. The specs on the washer says it will drain up to 8 ft. The water does all drain out. I called a GE service. Their repair man came and informed me that the new energy miser pumps in washers are too small to...

Toilet/Washer/Drain in basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have had continually problems with my toilet (house bult 1960 - could be original toilet - not sure). I have had Roto Rooter out 2 times in 7 years, both times due to clogged sewer line - sewer backed up into basement. My problem is that when I run my washer, my toilet does not flush...

Sewage smell when running washer [ 3 Answers ]

Whenever we run our washing machine, there is a strong smell of sewage in the house. The washer and toilet outlet separately. However, the vent for the toilet is connected to the vent for the washer.

View more questions Search