Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigzdog2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Fish without tails
    Hi, my name is Zach and my teacher and I have a big problem. Our fish keep dying, but not just of any death they have been dying without tails. My teacher has never heard of this before so we we wondering if anyone could tell us what is going on.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:42 PM
    The disease is called Fin Rot.

The fins on a fish begin to fray and get ragged, becoming shorter over time. This is caused by a gram negative bacterial infection.

Good news though, there are treatments available at fish stores / pet shops that will treat the disease.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Kae
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigzdog2
    Thank you very much, do you happen to know what the treatment is called.

I recommend Mardel Tetracycline Tablets. This is an antibiotic treatment that is very effective with treating fin rot and fighting off secondary infections caused by the disease. You can buy this product at petsmart for around 10$.

There is also another medication, Mardel Trisulfa. I have never used this one and do not know how effective it is against the disease. However, it does state that it treats fin rot.

There will be other treatments as well in the medication section in the fish department. They will label what they treat on the packaging.

Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Floating fish [ 16 Answers ]

I have 6 goldfish in a 30gallon aquarium for 3yrs now. They eat floating pellets. I noticed over the couple days that one fish is swimming with its tail towards the top (almost fighting to stay down). Yesterday morning I thought it wa sdead as it was at the top of the water belly up. I went to...

Fish Ponds [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a house that has a fish small fish pond with a water fall. It seems to have a lot of algae in it. Is there a way that I can clear the water and not hurt the fish or is algae a given and I should expect to live with it. My pond is approximately 6 ft wide and 8 feet long and about 2 feet...

Beta Fish [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I got Beta just like this one, 1 week ago, his a cute little Beta Fish! I would like to know what kind of water does he need, for his little aquarium, for the moment I but at W-Mart a gallon of drinking water is that good? I would like to know, Any comments? OK here is my Beta Fish!

Sperm tails and sperm heads [ 1 Answers ]

Why is that sperm tails are lost before the heads? Also do heads last longer than other significant proteins like p30?

View more questions Search