Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truflat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 11:30 PM
    13 year old dating 11 year old
    My son is 13 about rdy to turn 14 he is dating an 11 yr old is this bad and what should I do
    Gamed Posts: 269, Reputation: 29

Jul 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
    Can you elaborate on why your worried about the situation?
    truflat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
    Cause they r 3 years apart

Jul 29, 2012, 11:50 PM
    Elaborate in detail are you scarred your son will hurt her? Are you scarred that their setting themselves up for disaster? My parents are 7 years apart I've been in many relationships were the other persons older/younger.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 11:51 PM
    They're both children. If you don't want him to date her, you can forbid it. He has to obey your decision.

Do her parents know that she's dating at the age of 11? Do they know that she's dating a 13 year old boy?

At this age they need parental permission to date. If the parents, either one, don't allow it, then they can't date without severe consequences. Not parental consequences, but legal consequences.

If he's old enough to date, he's old enough to understand that just because he wants to, doesn't mean he can.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamed View Post
    Elaborate in detail are you scarred your son will hurt her? are you scarred that their setting themselves up for disaster? My parents are 7 years apart ive been in many relationships were the other persons older/younger.
    While I do see your point, I doubt your parents dated and got married when they were 11 and 18.

The children the OP is talking about are children, not adults When you're an adult, dating someone 7 years older, it's not a big deal. When you're a child it's a huge deal. Three years may as well be 20.

But the age difference isn't what's worrying me, and isn't the main concern. At their age they need parental permission to date Without that permission from both parents (and we're not talking about permission to have sex, we're talking about dating), they're breaking the law.

They're children. I have a 13 year old son. He is not allowed to date. Why? He's not ready. He's a child. When he's 14 he can go on group dates, but he's not allowed to date one on one until he's 16. I'm not a strict mom, and I did date, and many other things, when I was a young teen. Learned my lesson the hard way. I won't let my kids learn learn that lesson the hard way. Truth is, even at 16 they're not mature enough for a relationship, but at 13 they truly don't have the sense that God gave a goat. At 11 that girl should still be playing with dolls, not hooking up with guys.

Call me old fashioned, but thankfully the law is on my side in this case.

Jul 30, 2012, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    They're both children. If you don't want him to date her, you can forbid it. He has to obey your decision.

Do her parents know that she's dating at the age of 11? Do they know that she's dating a 13 year old boy?

At this age they need parental permission to date. If the parents, either one, don't allow it, then they can't date without severe consequences. Not parental consequences, but legal consequences.

If he's old enough to date, he's old enough to understand that just because he wants to, doesn't mean he can.

I am more of a fitness and relationship expert but I've never even heard of a law were its illegal for a minor to date a minor. What are the consequences and were can I find detail on this law?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2012, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamed View Post
    I am more of a fitness and relationship expert but i've never even heard of a law were its illegal for a minor to date a minor. What are the consequences and were can I find detail on this law?
    There isn't a law dealing with dating. But there are laws dealing with parental interference. As Alty said. These are both children an 3 year age gap is huge here. But a 3 yr age gap is nothing when both are adults.

If the parents do not allow dating , then a person can get in legal trouble if they defy parental rules.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2012, 03:36 AM
    truflat, What constitutes dating for them? Have you talked to her parents? Are they aware of it and are they allowing their 11 yr old to date?

And can you elaborate what specifically worries you? Do you think your son will get in legal trouble?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 04:24 AM
    Yes, a 11 year old has no business dating to start with, that is why they end up pregnant at 12 or 13, since they are not ready for the emotonal issues of real dating.

Yes they have boyfriend or girlfriend they hang out with at school, or FB or text. But that is it.

So what is dating,

Next you sound more like the child pretending to be the mother to get some positive things to try and convince your mom, but it is really just too young for either of them.
    Most moms will just say NO, they need not justify their answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search