Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AZZ1228 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 07:03 PM
    False Positive?
    I gave a urine sample today for an ETG. I am taking AZO for a UTI and reading the bottom of the box and it read "this product can interfere with laboratory tests, including glucose, sugar urine and ketones tests." Does this mean it can give me a false positive for alcohol on the ETG?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2012, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AZZ1228 View Post
    I gave a urine sample today for an ETG. I am taking AZO for a UTI and reading the bottom of the box and it read "this product can interfere with laboratory tests, including glucose, sugar urine and ketones tests." Does this mean it can give me a false positive for alcohol on the ETG?
    Yes it does. Actually it is a true positive because ethanol is fermented in your intestinal tract. This is a well known phenomenon with UTI.

In the event you are scheduled for EtG test you should advise them in writing of the UTI and medication. A hand-written note is OK.

Below is a link to Tox News. Printing a copy of this to submit with the test would be helpful.

Clinical & Forensic Toxicology News, Jun 2009 reported on the finding available to that time with emphasis on the 24 hour period for degradation and spontaneous generation of EtG.

Helander & Dahl (2005) Urinary Tract Infection: A Risk Factor for False-Negative Urinary Ethyl Glucuronide but Not Ethyl Sulfate in the Detection of Recent Alcohol Consumption. Clinical Chemistry, September 2005 vol. 51 no. 9 1728-1730

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

False positive [ 4 Answers ]

I have leg injuries I take motrin & naproxen can I get a false positive from that

False positive? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you get a false positive on a home pregnancy test?

I had a FALSE positive UA-they retested it.. it came back POSITIVE AGAIN! [ 2 Answers ]

A few weeks back I had a UA for alochol(they do EtG tests) and my couselor told me I failed it. I am 300% certain no alcohol has been in my system for months. I told her I did not have ANYTHING to drink and told her to resend it back to the lab. Well, it came back today and it was POSITIVE again...

False positive? [ 1 Answers ]

I took a pregnancy test the day before my expected period and it was positive but since then I haven't been able to get a positive result. I don't know what is going on I have been feeling nauseated and my lower back hurts a lot. Could I be pregnant or was it a false positive?

View more questions Search