Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2012, 07:14 AM
    He thought she was SIXTEEN? So a 23 yr old was willing to have sex with a 16 yr old?? I was thinking he thought she might be 18 or even older. Sorry, but any sympathy I might have had for him just went out the window. Even if she was legal at 16, a 23 yr old seducing a 16 yr old is exploitative. He had no business getting involved with her even if he thought she was 16.

I hope the prosecutor throws the book at him.
    bad1989 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
    I called him the other day of course he is flipping out because he has not heard from his lawyer but lawyers are busy. But my question even though her mom pretty much allowed all this to happen is there a way he can get out of it and the parents can be the ones in trouble?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 07:20 AM
    Are you the HE? Why do you care so much?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bad1989 View Post
    is there a way he can get out of it and the parents can be the ones in trouble?
    Hello bad:

If the DA is doing his job, the parents will be charged TOO. But, that WON'T lessen your friends culpability.

excon

Jul 30, 2012, 07:22 AM
    In the state of ketucky parent consent is 16. The girls older sister ( which is my ex) she is 28 and is having sex with a 16 year boy. From what I know is his dad up and left him so he is staying with a friend
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 07:27 AM
    In the state of ketucky parent consent is 16. The girls older sister ( which is my ex) she is 28 and is having sex with a 16 year boy. From what i know is his dad up and left him so he is staying with a friend
    It would be easier if you could start this all over and give the pertinent information.

As far as I know there is no "parent consent." However, there is a legal age of consent. Parents aren't involved in this.

In your original question the minor was an adolescent female and the perpetrator was an adult male. It appears you have changed your story. Now it's an adolescent male having sex with an adult female.

Your story doesn't add up.

Jul 30, 2012, 07:34 AM
    But my question even tho her mom pretty much allowed all this to happen is there a way he can get out of it and the parents can be the ones in trouble?
    In the state of ketucky parent consent is 16. The girls older sister ( which is my ex) she is 28 and is having sex with a 16 year boy. From what i know is his dad up and left him so he is staying with a friend
    Yes, age of consent is 16. But that doesn't make it right. There is a vast difference between a 23 yr old and a 16 yr old in terms of maturity. A 16 yr old will be likely to be flattered by the attentions of a 23 yr old and be more susceptible to exploitation. That is why it is reprehensible for your friend to have engaged in sex with this girl, even thinking she was 16. And I'm not surprised you broke up with the sister when she exploits 16 yr old boys.

This sounds like a real fun family. Mother lets a man sleep over with her 15 yr old daughter, big sister does a Mrs Robinson on a 16 yr old boy. But none of that helps your friend. He is responsible for his own actions. And if he said to the DA; "but I thought she was 16!", the DA is going to throw the book at him. What her parents knew about him or allowed has no bearing on his being prosecuted for statutory rape.

If he didn't have a place to live, he will soon. Probably not going to like it though.

Jul 30, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It appears you have changed your story. Now it's an adolescent male having sex with an adult female.
    I think you misread that. It's the OP's ex who had sex with the adolescent boy. She is the victim's (the 15 yr old girl) older sister.

Some family!
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Am I missing something? In the beginning it was a an adult male sleeping with an adolescent female. It seems the story has changed to an adult female sleeping with an adolescent male.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
    I called him the other day of course he is flipping out because he has not heard from his lawyer but lawyers are busy. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Are you the HE? Why do you care so much?
    ... The girls older sister ( which is my ex) she is 28 and is having sex with a 16 year boy. From what i know is his dad up and left him so he is staying with a friend
    This is rich. The perpetrator is talking to OP, who is the ex lover of the victim's older sister. OP asks the perp what the perp's lawyer is advising the perp. The perp, wisely in my opinion, replies that he doesn't know what is going to happen because his lawyer is too busy to get back to him. I supect the perp is telling OP this because he rightly understands that it's none of OP's business, and OP may well have ulterior motives (probably involving his ex fooling around with another boy).

Jul 30, 2012, 07:39 AM
    I was using my ex which is the 15 year old older sister as an example. My friend is 23 he was dating a 15 year in the beginning her and a friend told him that she is 16. The girl told her mom about him and his age few days later after everything that happen he found out that she was 15. He continues seeing her. The girl ask her mother if he could move in with her the mother said yes. Few months later a incident happen the mom called the cops. The mother told the cops that she didn't know how old he was that there bedroom was a storage room.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 07:45 AM
    I was using my ex which is the 15 year old older sister as an example. My friend is 23 he was dating a 15 year in the beginning her and a friend told him that she is 16. The girl told her mom about him and his age few days later after everything that happen he found out that she was 15. He continues seeing her. The girl ask her mother if he could move in with her the mother said yes. Few months later a incident happen the mom called the cops. The mother told the cops that she didnt know how old he was that there bedroom was a storage room.
    We need the complete and honest truth in order to give the best advice possible. Your story has changed three-fold since the original question.

You can't use people as an "example," we need the complete and honest truth to provide you with the best advice possible.

Stop twisting and turning things around here.

Jul 30, 2012, 07:48 AM
    I was using my ex which is the 15 year old older sister as an example. My friend is 23 he was dating a 15 year in the beginning her and a friend told him that she is 16. The girl told her mom about him and his age few days later after everything that happen he found out that she was 15. He continues seeing her. The girl ask her mother if he could move in with her the mother said yes. Few months later a incident happen the mom called the cops. The mother told the cops that she didnt know how old he was that there bedroom was a storage room.
    Again, what the mother knew or didn't know, allowed or didn't allow does NOT matter in him being prosecuted. You are telling us, that he knowingly had sex with a 15 yr old. That is the ONLY fact that will matter to a prosecutor, judge and/or jury. As long as the prosecutor can prove to a jury that he had sex with this girl he's going to jail. The only out for him would be a plea bargain. But plea bargains are generally offered when a case is weak. This sounds like a pretty strong case and I don't see the prosecutor being really amenable to a plea here.

Whether they also prosecute the mother for child endangerment is a totally separate issue.

Jul 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
    The truth is that the parents knew how old he was and allowed him to move. The daughter lied to him about her age my friend found out and still stayed wit her

Can he use a false news report in court ? This issue was on the news

The reason y I care is because we been best friends for 7 years.

Jul 30, 2012, 08:21 AM
    The truth is that the parents knew how old he was and allowed him to move. The daughter lied to him about her age my friend found out and still stayed wit her

The reason y i care is because we been best friends for 7 years.
    The FACT is that he had sex with an underage girl and by his own admission, knew she was underage. That is the ONLY fact that matters in his being prosecuted for statutory rape. Why can't you understand that?

What was false about the report? And how do you think it might be used? What the news said doesn't matter it's the facts that the prosecutor presents to the jury that matter.

Its nice you care about your friend, but why didn't you warn him about this family? Did you know he was having sex with the girl? If you did and you didn't tell him to get out of that house immediately, you weren't being a good friend.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 08:22 AM
    For what purpose?

If he wants a change of venue in order to get a jury which hasn't been influenced by the news, possibly.

Otherwise, I fail to see what the news coverage of the case has to do with anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it statutory rape if I'm 16 and dating a guy who's 24 in Alberta? Please help! [ 2 Answers ]

Me and this guy have been together for 14 months! I like him a lot and we have been through everything together we are scared about the law I need to know I this is stagatory rape! And can my parents stop me from seeing him? I know the age in Alberta is 16 I'm old enough to make my own decisions...

Can a dad press charges on a mom if his daughter sneaks out when at the moms [ 1 Answers ]

I gave custody of my 14 year old daughter to her dad because she was threating me and her little sibblins and she comes here every other weekend and the one weekend after I went to bed she snuck out to meet some boy's can the dad press charges on me for her actions

How do I defend my boyfriend for statutory rape charges? [ 17 Answers ]

Wikipedia states. The original purpose of statutory rape laws was to protect young, unwed females from males who might take their virginity, impregnate them, and not take responsibility by marrying them. I am 17 years old, 18 in 6 months, my boyfriend of 8 months is 31, in short we were led to...

Can we press charges for stagetory rape? [ 8 Answers ]

My stepdaughter had sexual relations at the age of 14 with a boy who was 18 at the time. She is now just turned 17 and he is 21 years. Could we still press charges on him for stagetory rape?

Can my mother press charges for statutory rape if I gave consent [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 14 and I might be pregnant my boyfriend is 19 and I'm wondering canmy mother press charges for statutory rape if I'm pregnant and if I gave consent to have an intimate relationship with him?.

View more questions Search