Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimadam125 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
    My dog drinks lots of water and eats treats but only eats little dog food
    My dog for the last few days will only drink water and eat treats but when it comes to his dog food he will only eat a little.
    Any ideas as to why he's like this?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Stop feeding the treats and see what happens. I'm guessing that he's filling up on the treats, which he likes, and then doesn't have an appetite for his food.

Have you recently changed dog food brands?

Jul 29, 2012, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Stop feeding the treats and see what happens. I'm guessing that he's filling up on the treats, which he likes, and then doesn't have an appetite for his food.

Have you recently changed dog food brands?
    He has been on the same food for 2 years. It's a healthy choice in dog food and he loves it but its almost like he's trying to get outside before his sister does
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimadam125 View Post
    He has been on the same food for 2 years. It's a healthy choice in dog food and he loves it but its almost like he's trying to get outside before his sister does
    Are you feeding the treats because he's lost interest in his food, or is he get the same amount of treats he normally does?

How much water is he drinking? A lot more than usual? Does he share a water dish with his sister?

My first thought is diabetes if this is a very sudden change, and the number of treats hasn't increased.

I would definitely have a vet check him out just to rule out anything medical.

Jul 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Are you feeding the treats because he's lost interest in his food, or is he get the same amount of treats he normally does?

How much water is he drinking? A lot more than usual? Does he share a water dish with his sister?

My first thought is diabetes if this is a very sudden change, and the number of treats hasn't increased.

I would definitely have a vet check him out just to rule out anything medical.
    We have given new dog treats to them, he gets his own water bowl and he has been drinking little more. His activities haven't changed other then wanting to play more.
    Thanks for the help I'm going to call the vet tomorrow.
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimadam125 View Post
    We have given new dog treats to them, he gets his own water bowl and he has been drinking little more. His activities haven't changed other then wanting to play more.
    Thanks for the help I'm gonna call the vet tomorrow.
    That's always a good idea. Do tell the vet exactly what's going on so that they have all the information they need. Chances are everything is fine and he's just eating less because of the treats, but it's always good to get them checked whenever there's a change in behavior.

Please let me know how it goes and how he's doing. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog eats to fast and then is sick then eats it again she has lost a lot of weight [ 6 Answers ]

I've had blood test and urine and faeces tested she is still happy in herself and plays seems to be on alert all the time doesn't sleep well also she doesn't drink a lot of water I've change her food several times her urine at one time had a foul smell because she started to have accidents

15 month old eats dog food [ 38 Answers ]

My daughter has eaten dog food as long as she's been able to pick it up. We continue to spank her or swat her hand or pop her mouth, but she just continues to eat the dog food. I don't know what else to do. We've tried blocking it by various things (vacuum cleaner, stools, trashcan) but she just...

Dog eats other dog s food [ 4 Answers ]

I have two yorkie pups one 7 weeks and the other 11 weeks and they both came from diff owners and they eat diff food but they both have decided two eat each others food and not there own is this a bad thing? What should I do? :confused:

View more questions Search