Ask
    ashishhawking Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 04:01 AM
    Speed of light
    Why can't we overtake the speed of light
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Mar 5, 2007, 04:42 AM
    Hmm.. we can if we cheat!
    I've forgotten the explanation of the "light speed limit" but you'll find it on Wikipedia.

It is possible to get around the speed of light by various methods, the simplest (and perhaps most improbable) example is building a spacecraft of enormous proportions and accelerating it close to the speed of light, then send a tiny craft flying from one end of the mothership to the other - ie; 99% light speed + an extra 2%... hardly a practical solution, but to an observer outside the ship, the tiny craft inside would be travelling at a total of 101% the speed of light.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Lorddarklaw, you're forgetting that the tiny spaceship would have a nearly infinite mass, and so would need an infinite energy to break the speed of light.

It's not surpassable by the method you put forward.

This is why it is a speed limit, as you approach the speed of light, your mass becomes greater and so more energy is needed to accelerate you further. As you reach the speed of light, you need an infinite energy to accelerate you further, this is currently unphysical and impossible.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashishhawking
    why can't we overtake the speed of light
    Hello ash:

We can. We used to think nothing can go faster than light. We were wrong.

excon
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Mar 5, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Capuchin, it's just an example - you could theoretically use hundreds of ships one inside another like a Russian doll. Other methods of beating the speed of light involve using worm-holes, or bending the laws of physics (way beyond anything I can think about).
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Yes, and it cannot be used to beat the speed of light - your last ship will have infinite mass.

Wormholes are just "shortcuts" through spacetime, you might be able to beat a photon in a race, but you will never travel faster than light.

For example, I put a mirror on the moon and I race the photon from where I am standing to a point 1 meter away from me. I shoot the photon towards the mirror and then run for the finish line, the photon takes several seconds to get there, and I beat it.

Does this means I've travelled faster than the speed of light? No. The same is true with worm holes, the light will obey the curves of space-time, but by using intelligence, we can beat it by using shortcuts.
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Excon I would like to hear about your schemata for faster-than-light travel
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Hello Cap:

I was hoping you wouldn't ask. However, I recall falling asleep in front of my TV watching the Science Channel, and I heard (in the netherworld just before sleep) that they now can go faster than the speed of light.

I don't know who "they" are, and I don't know how they do it. But, I believe they are doing it.

excon
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Should we be worried?
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Mar 5, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Regularly happens in Star Trek. Ask them!
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Hello Cap:

Nahh. The only thing that worries me, is the science that I was taught as a kid. I was told things that aren't true, and I was taught them as though they were.

I was taught that the speed limit in the universe is the speed of light. I think that's as true as any statement is, before it's proven untrue.

excon
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Oh yes, there are a number of phenomena that do propagate faster than light (and I'm surprised nobody has brought them up yet), but nothing that (as the OP asked) means "we" can travel faster than light. Taking "we" to mean humans on the macro scale.

Dumbing down of science is one of the essential evils of science education, you just cannot comprehend the truth at that age without better mathematical knowledge.
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Hello again:

I don't know if it had to do with dumbing down. I just think I was taught what they knew at the time, but that what they know changes pretty fast these days.

Specifically, I'm speaking of plate tectonics. Of course, South America looks like it fits into Africa, but my teacher said it didn't. Whoa, ho ho on her.

excon
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 07:14 AM
    I know that a lot in physics changes as you reach the different levels of education.

Now plate tectonics I have no idea of the history of :) (or how old you are) ;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Specifically, I'm speaking of plate tectonics. Of course, South America looks like it fits into Africa, but my teacher said it didn't. Whoa, ho ho on her.
    Hey I'm almost finished reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson and he speaks directly to this issue. Great book if you love science.
    nindzha Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Mar 5, 2007, 10:23 AM
    The ABZ of Relativity

Also an interesting sience book :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
    How about a ship powered by Hawking radiation, the only thing that can escape a Black Hole?
    Even light can't do this!!
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Hawking radiation is produced from outsied the event horizon - light CAN escape from points outside the event horizon.

Hawking radiation is just thermal radiation, but it's created by means other than black body spectra. Thermal radiation = photons = light. THerefore it moves at the speed of light.
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Oh yes, there are a number of phenomena that do propogate faster than light (and i'm suprised nobody has brought them up yet),
    Hello again, Cap:

Ok, what are they? Something to do with strings? Or things that happen in a particle accelerator?

excon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 5, 2007, 02:49 PM
    excon, I missed that bit from Cap.
    Well I have one.
    How about Tachyons??

Oh now this is good reading Faster-than-Light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Light Speed! [ 2 Answers ]

NASA has developed a rocket ship that can accelerate to the speed of light. The crew can tolerate only nine G’s. How long will it take to achieve maximum Velocity? Thanks for your (answer) help. William Pitts

3 speed ceiling fan only has 1 speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 speed Hunter ceiling that I rarely turn off and all 3 speeds had been working. I recently turned it off and when I turned it back on, only the high speed is working. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it. I still only have the High speed. Has anyone had this problem before? ...

Hampton bay fan remote works the speed not light [ 3 Answers ]

I installed this fan OK... it was fine for 2.5 years now the remote only works the fan speed. It does not work the lights. I removed the fan and checked connections which are good.Luckily the fans lights are in the on position and POWER is through a wall switch,that controls the lights. But I wish...

View more questions Search