Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Oh no, normal light will have a phase velocity faster than the speed of light if you have a material with a refractive index less than 1.

This means that the front edge of the group of photons moves faster than the speed of light, however, it's impossible to transfer information this way (at the moment) because the information is spread out over the whole group (this is the group velocity) (so you have to wait for the end of the group to arrive, which arrives at the speed of light). So it doesn't break any rules.

Particle accelerators routinely accelerate particles to something like 0.99c.

Tachyons might actually be the one thing that can move faster than the speed of light. These are theoretical particles that have not yet been observed. The theory is that while you cannot accelerate something beyond the speed of light, If something was created with a superluminal speed, then it could happily exist in that state forever. This is of course contraversial and nobody knows if they exist or not.

Edit: Yes curlyben, tachyons, but they might not even be real :)
    nindzha Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Mar 5, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Is it true that if u circle around earth at some speed, u are younger than u would be at earth. I think its called a twin pharadox. Can someone explain in plain english.
    Thanks.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Mar 5, 2007, 07:48 PM
    What about black holes? In theory, you could say light, when being sucked into black holes, eventually reaches a speed of zero, so therefor, You could go the speed of some light right now. But there's probably some counter example you could give to prove me wrong. I really have no idea about what I am talking about.

Mar 5, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Let me clarify and add at the same time. Is it possible to go as fast, or if not faster than light if:

1. light passing a black hole (not going directly at it) could be bent, eventually slowing the speed of light, making you faster than some light?

2. you yourself were sucked into a black hole (even though you would end up in quintillions of pieces)?
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 11:28 PM
    A black hole is no different than any other massive object in space, it is just so dense that there is a point called the event horizon, past this point we have no idea what happens. Physics may be totally collapsed. The gravity isn't any stronger or greater than any other object of that mass, it's just small enough that the event horizon is OUTSIDE the object.

We are talking about moving faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. There are materials we have on earth that can slow light to a few mm/s, I can easily run faster than that, would you say I can run faster than the speed of light?
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Mar 6, 2007, 02:00 AM
    I'm curious as to why light travels at the speed it does - I've had a quick look on Google but the answer seems to be "it just does". :confused:

There must have been a point in time before the speed of light was set, which makes me wonder if the mechanism that set the speed of light could be reproduced... could it be used to change the properties of light? Trippy thought. :)
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 02:05 AM
    Massless particles always move at the speed of light :)

(Tachyons move faster than the speed of light, because they have imaginary mass)
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 02:13 AM
    I don't think it's right to say that light decelerates to 0 within the event horizon, worthbeads, you're treating it like a normal particle.
    It merely follows the curve of spacetime, which is curved in such a way that light cannot navigate a path to a point outside the event horizon.

Another consequence of quantum mechanics is that light can move faster than the speed of light over very short distances, it only moves at the speed of light on average.

It may also be possible to make a photon move faster than the speed of light between Casimir plates. Thse are plates that are brought together such that there is less than an atomic diameter between them. The vacuum between these plates is perfect, and may even not contain Zero-point energy. If there is no Zero point energy, the vacuum will be "more perfect than a perfect vacuum", and so light will be able to move faster through it. However it is not possible to measure experimentally at the current time, and so is theoretical.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:15 AM
    How timely
    http://science.slashdot.org/science/.../0210240.shtml
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 08:22 AM
    That looks like what I stated before - the phase velocity is faster than the speed of light, but the group velocity is not, so you cannot transfer information this way.

But, like that article says, I'd like to see the paper first :)

Mar 6, 2007, 05:18 PM
    I have an interesting question. Assume you are in a room covered in mirrors (all walls, floor, ceiling). You yourself are covered in a material that is 100% reflective (the mirrors are also 100% reflective). In the perfectly reflective room, you strike a match. Assuming your body, the match, and the mirrors do not absorb light and only reflect it, would the room stay lit long after the match went out? Would there be a limit on how bright it would be inside the room?
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 11:27 PM
    Your eyes would absorb photons in order to see them, so, do you want to go into "if you light a match in a perfectly mirrored room, but nobody is there to see it, is it lit up"? :P

Also, any gas in the room would also attenuate the light fairly quickly.

Mar 7, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    I have an interesting question. Assume you are in a room covered in mirrors (all walls, floor, ceiling). You yourself are covered in a material that is 100% reflective (the mirrors are also 100% reflective). In the perfectly reflective room, you strike a match. Assuming your body, the match, and the mirrors do not absorb light and only reflect it, would the room stay lit long after the match went out? Would there be a limit on how bright it would be inside the room?
    I am aware eyes absorb light. Just assume no person is in the room.
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Okay well the atmosphere in the room absorbs it then, if you had perfect vacuum, then the brightness in the room would be proportional to the amount of time you left the match lit for as long as forever.

Mar 10, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Would it keep getting brighter and brighter, with no limit?
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Until the fire runs out of fuel.
    johnzule Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 01:56 AM
    Pardon if this is old news...

blsb.html

Social Ecology Eclectic : Light exceeds its own speed limit, or does it?
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 01:59 AM
    Yes, I did mention this earlier in the thread. There is no evidence that information can be transferred faster than light using this method.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Light Speed! [ 2 Answers ]

NASA has developed a rocket ship that can accelerate to the speed of light. The crew can tolerate only nine G’s. How long will it take to achieve maximum Velocity? Thanks for your (answer) help. William Pitts

3 speed ceiling fan only has 1 speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 speed Hunter ceiling that I rarely turn off and all 3 speeds had been working. I recently turned it off and when I turned it back on, only the high speed is working. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it. I still only have the High speed. Has anyone had this problem before? ...

Hampton bay fan remote works the speed not light [ 3 Answers ]

I installed this fan OK... it was fine for 2.5 years now the remote only works the fan speed. It does not work the lights. I removed the fan and checked connections which are good.Luckily the fans lights are in the on position and POWER is through a wall switch,that controls the lights. But I wish...

View more questions Search