Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excitableboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2004, 09:23 AM
    Extra red wire for fan
    I removed an old ceiling fan and am in the process of replacing it with a model233-798 Romanesque fan by Hampton Bay. I have a red wire coming out of the ceiling box that I don't know what to do with. I've connected the ground, white and black wires but am at a loss what to do with the red. There are two wall switches to control the fan and the light on the fan . The fan has no pull chains.. just the remote.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2004, 11:15 AM
    Everything needs to be connected connected back just as it was. There are a number of ways to connect up 2 switches to a load. They all use double pole switches and 3 conductor cables plus ground to connect them. Unfortunately no real electrician feels compelled to do it the same way anybody else does it.

If there is only one, 3 conductor cable at the fan, it is possible the red wire wasn't used. Has it been stripped, and bent into a hook or twisted with another wire? If not, try not connecting it.

If you have both a 2 conductor and a 3 conductor cable, connect the red wire to the fan, and the 2 black wires together. Connect all the white wires together. Depending how things are wired, this may not work. You might try disconnecting everything except the white wires, and trying the switches in different positions and use a test light or meter to see if things work.

If this does not match you wiring, or you can't make it work, try finding a diagram for 3 way switches. You can also post back explaining what wires you have at the fan.
    excitableboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2005, 09:46 AM
    Extra red wire for ceiling fan
    Thank you for the reply. The old ceiling fan did not have a light fixture. The new fan does have the light and has only the black, white and ground wires which matches up with the outllet box except for the red wire it contains
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2005, 11:34 AM
    The red wire relates not to the old fan, but the 3 way switches. As I said in my first answer, if there is only one cable in the box, likely the red wire isn't used, maybe the black one instead. If there is more than one cable, connect the black wires together and the red wire to the fan. I can not help you more without knowing more about the wires in the box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Fan Motor - Extra Wire [ 5 Answers ]

The AC fan motor outside went out on my central unit . I purchased a new motor and got home and saw that it had an extra wire coming from the motor. I know where all the other wires attach to. On the "old" capacitor I took off "one brown" and "one black wire". On the side of the new motor it...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead,...

View more questions Search