Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garjac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 10:52 AM
    What is Florida tenant rights with going month to month after a years lease
    We signed a years lease 08/01/2011 and our lease is up, we were just going month to month after the year was up and now the property management people are saying the owners want another year lease signed or we have to be out and in our original lease it is in there after one year lease we had the opition to go month to month. How can they say now we have to sign another lease? We don't have money to fight it so I feel like we are being forced into another year lease... any options
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
    The lease clause that allows you to go month to month is largely unenforceable. The reason I say that is because, by its very nature, a month to month lease can be ended at a month's notice. So once you go month to month, the landlord can end it at any time. It's a ridiculous clause because it has no real value.

So, if the landlord decides they want a long term lease, then they can demand one and your decision is to sign or move. In FL they can terminate a tenancy with 15 notice prior to the end of the rental period. So you either sign a new lease to take effect 9/1 or they can give you notice prior to 8/15 to vacate by 9/1.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a tenant without a lease on month to month that refuses to sign a lease, [ 2 Answers ]

The tenant refuses to sign a lease and is frequently late with the rent. My other tenants arre afraid of her and she refuses to follow any of the rules... ie gate is to remain unlocked between 7am and 5pm. What are my options?

Tenant that refuses to sign new lease, what laws apply with month to month lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I am in CA and I have a tenant that has a 18 month lease that expires 10/31/10 and they want to go month to month starting 11/1/10 and I agreed. I sent them a new lease to sign, but they have not sent it back to me yet. If they refuse to sign the new lease in CA law do the terms of the old lease...

Can I ask a tenant to sign a new month to month lease [ 2 Answers ]

I am a new landlord and my tenant originally signed a month to month lease. However, I have drawn up a new lease with different conditions about living in my rental suite. It will still be a month to month agreement. Can I ask the tenant to sign this or do I have to stick with the old lease that...

My tenant has a month-to-month lease and has not paid rent-- NYC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a subletter in my apartment and she only has an oral agreement to stay here and she has been here for more than 30 days. First, she said she'd move at the end of last month, but on the last day she told us she was staying. When my husband asked her for the rent, she started screaming...

Getting a month to month tenant to sign 1 year lease [ 2 Answers ]

My New Jersey tenant signed a 1 year lease that ended last year and stayed in the apartment on a month to month lease. I am now thinking of putting the bldg up for sale. Is it important to have all tenants with signed leases when I put it up for sale? They seem to be dragging their feet on signing...

View more questions Search