Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joed256 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
    Pigtailing off a 14g outlet to a 12g new outlet
    Hi. I recently Pigtailed off an existing outlet that was 14g wire and ran to a new outlet that I installed with 12 gauge wire. Any problem with this? The new outlet is for a cable box and DVD player so there will not be much draw
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 10:27 AM
    No problem.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
    The simple answer is yes, but with clarifications.

!4 AWG and 12 AWG refer to the size of the wire, not the recepctales. A 14 AWG cable can carry 15 Amps. So you would use a 15 amp receptable. A 12 AWG cable can carry 20 amps and you should use a 20 amp receptacable for this circuit.

Because you have a multi-outlet branch circuit, you must limit the load to no more than 12 amps. This includes the new receptacle.

What you cannot do is to put a 20 breaker on the circuit, doing so may cause a fire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing directions for converting floor drain outlet toilet to back outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Former home remodeler, and fairly capable on general plumbing. How do I convert floor discharge outlet to back outlet for Briggs toilet?

Easier way to convert regular (assume 110v outlet) to 3 flat prong 125v/250v outlet? [ 3 Answers ]

I bought an electric clothes dryer thinking it would work with the regular outlets in apt. However, and no wonder the guy left in a hurry and got angry when I asked to return it, get money back, the end of the dryer plug is 3 flat prongs, with a sticker that says it is 125v/250v. Without rewiring...

Wall switch controlling a outlet,want to use outlet to control ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I Have a wall swich that currently controls a baseboard outlet. The Wall switch has a white,black, ground coming in from the top of the box-- and a white,black,red,ground coming in from the bottom of the box. The two blacks are tied together/two whites tied together... the red goes to the switch...

14g wire vs. 12g wire for residential? [ 10 Answers ]

I purchased a home just four months ago and determined that the basement needed to be almost entirely re-finished. This entailed pulling down all the paneling, the 1" R-3 'insulation' and furring strips behind it, framing out new walls, putting in insulation,etc. I thought it was a great time...

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

View more questions Search