Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mchugh207 Posts: 16, Reputation: -1

Jul 29, 2012, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    In my initial reply here I was thinking similarly. Car ads are generally not broadcast during children's programming. So the question of what the program was is a key issue here. We now know it was a local news broadcast. So if this ever got to a court (which is highly unlikely) the opposing attorney is going to rip the OP a new one for allowing a toddler to watch such programming.

I also have to wonder about a child that doesn't talk yet, being "on the playground". Most children don't get to a playground except in a carriage or stroller, until they can interact with others.
    It's nothing to do with the kid! I, ME, MYSELF IS offended with the ad! Where are you people getting this! I said nothing about parenting issues and playgrounds. This ad is on the air ALL day... Every day. Do you want me to run to the TV and turn it off every time it comes on! I can't enjoy my programs!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2012, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mchugh207 View Post
    {insults removed}
    first off you ASSUME the tv was on as a babysitter, and second you assume he is old enough to listen. this has nothing to do with the child. this has nothing to do with parenting. get it yet
    YOU brought this up by bringing the child into it. So you left yourself open here. You made the fact that your grandson learned and emulated the gesture a part of your complaint.

A child learns from infancy by observing their surroundings. So yes, even an infant is old enough to listen and observe. You proved it yourself by saying he repeated the gesture.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2012, 08:22 AM
    {insults removed}
    first off you ASSUME the tv was on as a babysitter, and second you assume he is old enough to listen. this has nothing to do with the child. this has nothing to do with parenting. get it yet

No, you ASSUME nobody is reading what you've posted OR you don't know what you posted.

Somebody said something about a child repeating the gesture on the playground. I thought it was your Grandchild who was giving people the finger based on what he saw on TV. So he DIDN'T see that gesture on TV? Where did he learn it?

Oh, wait, you DID say it: "my grandson see's the ad and repeats the act on the playground, the ad should be taken off"

You are coming across as confused - it's the morning new, it's not the morning new, he doesn't listen to/watch TV, he does. No one is using the TV as a babysitter but the ad has been on more than once and no adult is there to see the ad start and turn the channel.

The child watches the news and the people shot to death in a movie theatre in Oklahoma but having him see someone getting "the finger" upsets you?

By all means sue - and keep us informed.

I see your attitude here (which, by the way "I get"). I can only imagine the impression you'll make on the FCC, your local TV station, an Attorney, the Court.

The legal advice has been posted - and explained. I think it's time to close this.

If you need emotional help, go over to the emotional boards and explain the damage to your mental state by being forced (apparently you can't change the channel on your TV) to watch this particular commercial. It must start with "the finger" or else you'd see it starting, figure "oh, no" and change the station.

There are shows I don't watch because they are too violent. I don't frequent their sponsors or buy their sponsors' products.

I don't know that anyone cares but, again, I do have the ability to change the channel.

Jul 29, 2012, 08:26 AM
    it's nothing to do with the kid! I, ME, MYSELF IS offended with the ad! where are you people getting this! I said nothing about parenting issues and playgrounds. This ad is on the air ALL day...Every day. do you want me to run to the TV and turn it off every time it comes on! I can't enjoy my programs!
    Umm yeah you did:

my grandson see's the ad and repeats the act on the playground, the ad should be taken off
    It was in post 7.

So again I ask, have you filed a complaint with the FCC like I told you to do more than 40 minutes ago?
    mchugh207 Posts: 16, Reputation: -1

Jul 29, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Yes I did and thank you

Jul 29, 2012, 10:53 AM
    yes I did and thank you
    Ok, now let me explain something about this site. We are different from other Q&A sites because we don't just dryly answer questions. We try to deal with the whole situation.

So the situation here was you asked about filing suit rather than what you could do about the situation. Also, as part of your complaint you referred to your grandson emulating the behavior. So we saw three issues here. Issue one was what you could do about the ad. Issue two was your jumping to a law suit as the solution. Issue three was why was your grandson exposed to the programming.

Our responses dealt with all three issues. So now that they have been dealt with, let us know what results you get from your filing a complaint.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Danety View Post
    Sir or Madam: May one suggest that you unplug your tv. Better yet, give it away and get a library card. Your grandson needs to excel in school.

From a teacher.
    Best post of the day! Love it! Greenie to you! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What I find offensive [ 14 Answers ]

Not that it wasn't bad enough to refer to her behavior - and that of her friends - as "retarded" now she's explained that she uses that term because she (and her friends) act "retarded." This is certainly a trigger for me. I realize the OP is 14 but at what point do people become sensitive to...

So was the big offensive just strategy? [ 37 Answers ]

We heard a great deal of the big offensive planned for Kandahar in Afghanistan but so far it has failed to materialise. Was this a strategy to have the Taliban concentrate their forces and has it failed? Perhaps it is that with change in command there has been change in strategy even though it...

Offensive Fumble Advancement Rule [ 2 Answers ]

It is my memory that 20 or 30 years ago an offensive team could not gain yardage via a recovered fumble. Didn't the NCAA rule used to require the refs to mark a fumble recovered by another member of the offensive team at the point of the fumble, instead of where recovered, if downfield of the...

Neighbor's Offensive Dog Poop [ 16 Answers ]

My neighbor walks his dogs SOLELY in his backyard. This causes a seriously offensive odor. By mid-summer, the smell is so bad that we can't sit out there for any length of time without being nauseous. Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem.

View more questions Search