Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mchugh207 Posts: 16, Reputation: -1

Jul 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Then you monitor his viewing like other parents/grandparents do.

What I find funny is that you think you can take on an automotive giant who has million dollar attorneys on their side.
    Not to argue. I don't like the gesture
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mchugh207 View Post
    That's not the point anyway, I find it offensive to ME and it should be taken off.
    So, every program/commercial that is offensive to YOU should be taken off so that no one else can view it?

Again, I agree it's offensive, that's why I monitor my children's and my grandchildren's viewing.

Jul 29, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Then somebody should speak to him about appropriate behavior and inappropriate behavior, adult behavior and child behavior. Does he watch Superman and try to fly?
    He does not talk yet
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 07:29 AM
    not to argue. I don't like the gesture
    I don't like it either, but that doesn't mean you have to SUE. For heaven's sake, be a granparent and put appropriate channels on your television if you insist on letting him watch TV. I can promise you, through experience, that this commercial is not on Disney Channel or Nickelodeon.
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 07:29 AM
    he does not talk yet
    He doesn't have to talk to be able to listen.

Jul 29, 2012, 07:32 AM
    So, every program/commercial that is offensive to YOU should be taken off so that no one else can view it?

Again, I agree it's offensive, that's why I monitor my children's and my grandchildren's viewing.
    This is on local TV while watching the news, a TV ad. As a coffee ad or a McDonald ad. That's letting them get away with such offensive ads... it needs to be banned and I will start with the TV station airing the ad.
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 07:36 AM
    I think you have your priorities skewed. If you don't want your grandson viewing something that might be inappropriate to your moral standards, then you would not have that channel on the television in a room where he can view it.

Your arguments will be shot down by the opposing attorney so fast that your hair would be blown back.

In the end... If you don't want him viewing this kind of television, you would not have it turned on to a channel that is not appropriate for his age.

I promise you, you will lose this, and a lot of money, if you chose to pursue it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
    That's not the point anyway, I find it offensive to ME and it should be taken off.
    Ok, then lets get real here. I assume you are in the US. In the US the FCC governs what is shown on TV. So what you do, is go here:
    http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
    And file a complaint. The complaint needs to include when the ad was broadcast and on what channel and what broadcaster.

Send a copy of your complaint to the local station that played the ad. Send a copy to the car dealer or manufacturer that paid for the ad (Car manufacturers often don't control ads placed by local dealers). See if you can find the ad agency that developed the ad and forward a copy of your complaint to them.

The only way you can sue would be to get a lot of people together to sue and even then you don't have a good chance of winning.

I haven't seen the ad, I don't know if its local or national. I don't know how overt the gesture was. I don't know what program was on when the ad was shown. So I can't tell how appropriate it was for your grandchild to be watching. They generally don't play car ads on children's programming.

I can also say that what you find offensive others may find amusing. Another reason you won't be able to successfully sue. But there ARE things you can do. I've detailed them for you. Whether your complaint will result in the ad being pulled, I can't say.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2012, 07:39 AM
    he does not talk yet

He doesn't talk - that means he can't listen?

Here's a thought - stop using TV as a babysitter.
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 07:40 AM

BRAVO!! Standing ovation!!
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 07:41 AM

I can count on one hand how many times the TV is on at my house per month. We communicate rather than watch the boob toob!

Jul 29, 2012, 07:44 AM
    This is on local TV while watching the news, a TV ad. as a coffee ad or a McDonald ad. That's letting them get away with such offensive ads...it needs to be banned and I will start with the TV station airing the ad.
    This was posted while I was composing my reply. TV news is not age appropriate for a young child. The news can be very scary. So I have to ask you why your grandchild was allowed to watch it?

Let me add that I agree with you that such ads should be pulled. And THAT should have been your question; "How can I complain about an offensive ad?" or "what can I do about an offensive ad?" But I found your question "Can I sue for a offensive TV ad?" to be offensive. That your first thought was to sue is offensive to me.

But I've detailed what you CAN do in my previous post. Let us know what happens.

Jul 29, 2012, 07:49 AM
    In my initial reply here I was thinking similarly. Car ads are generally not broadcast during children's programming. So the question of what the program was is a key issue here. We now know it was a local news broadcast. So if this ever got to a court (which is highly unlikely) the opposing attorney is going to rip the OP a new one for allowing a toddler to watch such programming.

I also have to wonder about a child that doesn't talk yet, being "on the playground". Most children don't get to a playground except in a carriage or stroller, until they can interact with others.

Jul 29, 2012, 08:00 AM
    I think you have your priorities skewed. If you don't want your grandson viewing something that might be inappropriate to your moral standards, then you would not have that channel on the television in a room where he can view it.

Your arguments will be shot down by the opposing attorney so fast that your hair would be blown back.

In the end....If you don't want him viewing this kind of television, you would not have it turned on to a channel that is not appropriate for his age.

I promise you, you will lose this, and a lot of money, if you chose to pursue it.
    Like I said, the argument is not about the kid watching TV (That I can handle, thank you) I am talking about the ad being aired at prime time, and I find it offensive and inappropriate to people who are just watching the morning news. It's not about the money, it's about the law and what can and can noy be aired at certain hours... they, broke the law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 08:02 AM
    I find cartoons and TV shows that show witchcraft as acceptable very offensive, So what do I do, I inform their sponsers I will not buy their products. Or watch their shows.

I don't think women should be walking around in their underwear, so I do the same.

Note there is little TV I can watch any longer.

I think 90 percent of children cartoons are too violent

So you have no law suits, the governments use what is called relativism in their moral values. There are few "morality" laws that even exist today. Hand signs are done by major bands now ( and many in the past)

Teaching the child the correct moral teachings is required since they will get much worst than this often on cartoon shows ( sounds like you don't really watch what is being watched if this is the worst you are offended by)

But start a group, go to picket this advertiser, be out of front of their business with signs showing their moral lapse.

Look at the gay community is trying to do to Chick Fila for standing up for their beliefs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 08:04 AM
    like I said, the argument is not about the kid watching TV (That I can handle, thank you) I am talking about the ad being aired at prime time, and I find it offensive and inappropriate to people who are just watching the morning news. It's not about the money, it's about the law and what can and can noy be aired at certain hours....they, broke the law.
    The law on this is not one you can sue for, you can report them to the FCC who may or may not fine the station. Not the advertiser, it is the station that broke the law ( if one was really broke)

Jul 29, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This was posted while I was composing my reply. TV news is not age appropriate for a young child. The news can be very scary. So I have to ask you why your grandchild was allowed to watch it?

Let me add that I agree with you that such ads should be pulled. And THAT should have been your question; "How can I complain about an offensive ad?" or "what can I do about an offensive ad?" But I found your question "Can I sue for a offensive TV ad?" to be offensive. That your first thought was to sue is offensive to me.

But I've detailed what you CAN do in my previous post. Let us know what happens.
    The word "sue" means take legal action. People label it as a bad word, a greedy word.

Jul 29, 2012, 08:05 AM
    like I said, the argument is not about the kid watching TV (That I can handle, thank you) I am talking about the ad being aired at prime time, and I find it offensive and inappropriate to people who are just watching the morning news. It's not about the money, it's about the law and what can and can noy be aired at certain hours....they, broke the law.
    Umm what law did they break? Certainly not the first amendment. In fact, there is NO law about that. What there is are FCC guidelines and regulations. So do what I told you, report it to the FCC.

And you made it about "the kid", since you brought it up.

Jul 29, 2012, 08:10 AM
    The word "sue" means take legal action. People label it as a bad word, a greedy word.
    Because it is. It doesn't just mean to take legal action it means to take action to seek redress. Again, your question should have been what to do about the ad not can I sue?

And did you read all the posts? Have you filed your FCC complaint yet?

Jul 29, 2012, 08:15 AM

{insults removed}
    First off you ASSUME the TV was on as a babysitter, and second you assume he is old enough to listen. This has nothing to do with the child. This has nothing to do with parenting. Get it yet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What I find offensive [ 14 Answers ]

Not that it wasn't bad enough to refer to her behavior - and that of her friends - as "retarded" now she's explained that she uses that term because she (and her friends) act "retarded." This is certainly a trigger for me. I realize the OP is 14 but at what point do people become sensitive to...

So was the big offensive just strategy? [ 37 Answers ]

We heard a great deal of the big offensive planned for Kandahar in Afghanistan but so far it has failed to materialise. Was this a strategy to have the Taliban concentrate their forces and has it failed? Perhaps it is that with change in command there has been change in strategy even though it...

Offensive Fumble Advancement Rule [ 2 Answers ]

It is my memory that 20 or 30 years ago an offensive team could not gain yardage via a recovered fumble. Didn't the NCAA rule used to require the refs to mark a fumble recovered by another member of the offensive team at the point of the fumble, instead of where recovered, if downfield of the...

Neighbor's Offensive Dog Poop [ 16 Answers ]

My neighbor walks his dogs SOLELY in his backyard. This causes a seriously offensive odor. By mid-summer, the smell is so bad that we can't sit out there for any length of time without being nauseous. Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem.

View more questions Search