Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Remimax22 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 09:48 PM
    Wiring a replacement condenser fan motor??
    Hi, my fan motor went so I bought a new one. The leads on it are different though.

The old one had 4 wires, 1 ground, 2 to the capacitor and one to the board.

The new motor has 2 brown wires labeled capacitor, 1 green labeled ground, and a brown and a yellow labeled direction?

Where do I connect those?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Remimax22 View Post
    Hi, my fan motor went so I bought a new one. The leads on it are different tho.

The old one had 4 wires, 1 ground, 2 to the capacitor and one to the board.

The new motor has 2 brown wires labeled capacitor, 1 green labled ground, and a brown and a yellow labeled direction?

Where do I connect those?
    What fan motor?? The inside one or the outside one. What is the motors voltage? Did you look on the side of the motor for a diagram? They all come with one. You will also need to know the rotation CW or CCW. More info needed from you.

Jul 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
    The outside condenser fan motor. Voltage is 208/230. The side of the motor says the two browns to the capacitor the green is ground and the other 2 are for direction... that's it. As for the rotation... I'm not sure.

Jul 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
    Anybody?
    MrAir Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 05:17 PM
    It is simple. OEM motor you took out had two power wires (black and white?) and ONE capacitor wire.
    The new motor has two wires for the capacitor. But look close and you will see that one of those brown wires has a white strip on it. That is the same wire as the white wire on the motor. They just add that to ?help? You.
    You can:
    1. just connect the motor to a new capacitor for that motor with the two wires (brown) and find room for the new capacitor. (ugly but works)
    2. Tape off the Brown/white wire and connecto the motor the way the old one was. Hot black, hot white, cap brown. (make sure the capacitor your keeping and reusing is the proper size. Yea that's the 50/5 uf or whatever cap that came on the unit. That /5 uf means it is a 5 uf. The motor's capacitor has to match.) Oh and check that old capacitor. They suck now a days and it could be bad!

Of course after install check rotation, blade placement (up down) and put an amp probe on it to verifiy your not over amping. Please put some caulk on the top of the shaft/motor so the next time you take out this motor it is not rusted in place. Oh, did you do something about the way the rain comes off the roof and hits that fan blade? Yea, that is why with all the rain we just had you got a bad motor. Rain vs Motor berings? Guess what wins?
    Good luck.

Jul 29, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAir View Post
    It is simple. OEM motor you took out had two power wires (black and white?) and ONE capacitor wire.
    The new motor has two wires for the capacitor. But look close and you will see that one of those brown wires has a white strip on it. That is the same wire as the white wire on the motor. They just add that to ?help? you.
    You can:
    1. just connect the motor to a new capacitor for that motor with the two wires (brown) and find room for the new capacitor. (ugly but works)
    2. Tape off the Brown/white wire and connecto the motor the way the old one was. hot black, hot white, cap brown. (make sure the capacitor your keeping and reusing is the proper size. Yea that's the 50/5 uf or whatever cap that came on the unit. That /5 uf means it is a 5 uf. the motor's capacitor has to match.) Oh and check that old capacitor. They suck now a days and it could be bad!!

of course after install check rotation, blade placement (up down) and put an amp probe on it to verifiy your not over amping. Please put some caulk on the top of the shaft/motor so the next time you take out this motor it is not rusted in place. Oh, did you do something about the way the rain comes off the roof and hits that fan blade? Yea, that is why with all the rain we just had you got a bad motor. Rain vs Motor berings? guess what wins?
    Good luck.

The old mototr had 4 wires. One green(ground), one black going to the board and a blue going to the capacitor as well as a purple going to the capacitor?

So if I understand correctly; I put the groung to the frame, the brown to the capacitor, the brown with the white line to the capacitor and the black to my board and I don't use the exrta wire?
    MrAir Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2012, 06:11 AM
    The green goes to ground or frame.
    The black on the new motor goes to the same black on the board.
    Now the tricky part. The blue and the purple.
    One of these two wires going to the capacitor is the "common" wire. The way to see this is by looking on the original capacitor. There should be a extra wire connected to the capacitor on one of those wires. Look at the top of the capacitor where the wires clip on. One of the terminals has another wire. That is the common wire. If you look you will see that wire. This is the same as your white wire or the brown wire with the white strip. You MUST connect your wire on the new motor correctly. That means putting the white wire on THAT terminal of the capacitor and the plain brown on the other side of the capacitor. The brown wire should connect to the capacitor terminal all by itself.
    Warning: do this wrong and you will burn up the new motor. You may want to mount the motor and have it all ready and get a service person to put an eye on it before powering up. There is no warranty on mis-wired motors.
    You have an unusual wiring setup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser fan motor replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rheem heat pump and have purchased a replacement condenser fan motor. It had an Emerson KA55HXPAM-7255 and was crossed over to an A O Smith ORM 1008. My problem is the wiring, the new motor has one more wire than the old one. I had orange, brown, black on the old one. The new one has...

Condenser fan motor replacement wiring [ 1 Answers ]

My problem is the wiring, the new motor has one more wire than the old one. I had yellow, brown, black on the old one. The new one has Brown, Brown w/ white stripe, black, white and green(ground). According to cross references this motor is a replacement, but I'm not sure what to do with the extra...

Condenser fan motor replacement? [ 0 Answers ]

Ac small motor condenser fan to be replaced in jewitt blood bank refrigerator

Replacement Motor Wiring for condenser unit [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Lennox HS16-461V-4P. The motor bearings died and I ordered a replacement motor. The old motor (GE) had two purple wires that went to and from the capacitor mounting in the unit. It also had orange and black wires that went to line voltage. The new motor (Emerson) only has three wires...

Wiring replacement Condenser Fan motor [ 10 Answers ]

I replaced the condenser fan motor on my old Tempstar A/C, but I am a little uncertain about the wiring on the new motor. Attached is a picture of the way I have it wired right now and the wiring diagram that came with the motor. The old motor had 3 wires: Black - wired to T2 contactor ...

View more questions Search