Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A-Girl09 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Feeling Bad That Animals Are In Cages
    When I was little I loved going to the zoo and seeing the animals and pets and all of that, but recently I get this strange feeling when I see an animal in a cage. I feel like they shouldn't be there. And I feel hurt that they are there. I don't understand why. I never felt like this before and now all of a sudden.

I have 2 pet doges and I love them to death but (I mean I don't get the same feeling but I still feel a little bad).

I was at Six Flanges with one of my friends and we were walking through that zoo part (the the sefory the small one in the park). And I had to get out of there because I couldn't stay there with thoes animals locked up. I don't get it. Its not like I'm into that animal rights stuff or anything (I mean I'm for it and all and if I had engulf money I would donate to the cous but I'm not totally into it you know). So I don't understand.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jul 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
    I also hate to see animals in cages, I think that they should be banned.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Girl09 View Post
    When I was little I loved going to the zoo and seeing the animals and pets and all of that, but recently I get this strange feeling when I see an animal in a cage. I feel like they shouldn't be there. And I feel hurt that they are there. I don't understand why. I never felt like this before and now all the sudden.

I have 2 pet doges and I love them to death but (I mean I don't get the same exact feeling but I still feel a little bad).

I was at Six Flanges with one of my friends and we were walking through that zoo part (the the sefory the small one in the park). And I had to get out of there because I couldn't stay there with thoes animals locked up. I don't get it. Its not like I'm into that animal rights stuff or anything (I mean I'm for it and all and if I had engulf money I would donate to the cous but I'm not totally into it you know). So I don't understand.

This is a Q and S site - do you have a question?

I think zoos are sad, pathetic places. I don't go to them. I don't walk through, I don't pay admission, I don't support them.

Maybe you SHOULD get into "animal rights stuff." It's not about the money. It's about the people who see pain and suffering and take a stand.

No, I don't know what you're "not totally into it" means -

You either think animals should have rights and not be locked in cages and treated inhumanely (if that is, in fact, the case) or you don't.

Where is Six Flanges?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
    I'm sorry, I'm confused. What's your question?
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm confused. What's your question?
    I think the question is that OP feels bad that animals are in cages and but "[she's] not totally into it you know). So I don't understand."

She doesn't understand why it bothers her but she doesn't care enough to stay away or do something positive.
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 06:07 PM
    Interesting.

I have animals in cages. Why? Because they need to be safe.

My rabbits are in cages, run free in closed off rooms, or my bunny binky enclosure, and they spend around half the day in those areas. But, I have 2 dogs. I can't let my rabbits have the run of the house not only because of the dogs, but because I cannot spend 24 hours a day running after 4 rabbits to make sure they're not chewing on an electrical outlet, cord, or something else that can kill them.

Our bird is also in a cage. She spends a lot of time flying around, when I'm with her. But again, we have dogs, and letting her have the whole house to fly in would be dangerous for her. Windows, ovens turned on while cooking, children running around, dogs that aren't mean, but would try to play with her should she land on the floor. It would be a death trap.

I love all animals, and it pains me to see animals captured just for people's entertainment. The zoo where I live has only injured animals in it. Animals that can no longer survive in the wild. Birds of prey, otters, tigers, you name it. All of the animals in that zoo are animals that cannot be in the wild because of their injuries. They also don't have "cages". They have acres and acres of land. As such, many times when we go to that zoo we're lucky to see anything. But I support that zoo because of what they do for the animals that cannot be rehabilitated into the wild. Sadly, this zoo isn't the norm.

Not all animals in cages are captives, or unhappy. Sometimes cages are a necessity in order to keep them safe.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2012, 05:09 AM
    ... I answered myself!
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2012, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Interesting.

I have animals in cages. Why? Because they need to be safe.

My rabbits are in cages, run free in closed off rooms, or my bunny binky enclosure, and they spend around half the day in those areas. But, I have 2 dogs. I can't let my rabbits have the run of the house not only because of the dogs, but because I cannot spend 24 hours a day running after 4 rabbits to make sure they're not chewing on an electrical outlet, cord, or something else that can kill them.

Our bird is also in a cage. She spends a lot of time flying around, when I'm with her. But again, we have dogs, and letting her have the whole house to fly in would be dangerous for her. Windows, ovens turned on while cooking, children running around, dogs that aren't mean, but would try to play with her should she land on the floor. It would be a death trap.

I love all animals, and it pains me to see animals captured just for people's entertainment. The zoo where I live has only injured animals in it. Animals that can no longer survive in the wild. Birds of prey, otters, tigers, you name it. All of the animals in that zoo are animals that cannot be in the wild because of their injuries. They also don't have "cages". They have acres and acres of land. As such, many times when we go to that zoo we're lucky to see anything. But I support that zoo because of what they do for the animals that cannot be rehabilitated into the wild. Sadly, this zoo isn't the norm.

Not all animals in cages are captives, or unhappy. Sometimes cages are a necessity in order to keep them safe.

I stand corrected - I thought she was primarily addressing Six Flags. Apparently we read this in two different ways and she should not feel "bad" that animals are in cages.

My local zoo gets picketed and various exhibits have been closed multiple times for multiple reasons.

I have protested the circus and roadside "zoos."
    Pets Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I stand corrected - I thought she was primarily addressing Six Flags. Apparently we read this in two different ways and she should not feel "bad" that animals are in cages.

My local zoo gets picketed and various exhibits have been closed multiple times for multiple reasons.

I have protested the circus and roadside "zoos."
    Ah, the power of the written word. It all depends on how you read it, which all depends on who you are. :)

I read that she feels bad about all animals in cages, which is why I wrote what I did. Sometimes cages are necessary to keep the animals safe.

I've gone to the circus, when I was a child. My children have never been, because I don't agree with the way they treat the animals in their care.

I do have to say, I support our local zoo. I would rather that these animals be in the wild, doing what they do, but since that's not an option for them, I'm glad that they're well cared for, provided for, and we have a chance to interact with them to boot. To me it's a good thing for all concerned. By visiting I give them the funds that allows them to care for these animals, that cannot survive in the wild.

My favorite in our zoo is the bald eagle. He's been there for many years. He broke his wing when he was very young. He's been in our zoo since that time. He can't fly, but he's a magnificent animal, with a huge enclosure, and all the things he needs or wants. Had he not been rescued he wouldn't be here today. Makes me proud that he is. He knows nothing of the wild, because he never would have survived in it. He lives today because our zoo took him in. :)

Judy, you really must visit me one day. If you do, we'll go to the zoo. I know that you'll find it as peaceful and inspiring as I do. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Killing animals, bad dreams [ 8 Answers ]

For the past couple of days I have been having really horrible dreams... Ive had dreams of seeing small animals, like kittens, get killed brutally by others.. but I have never dreamed of killing animals before. I dream they are trying to hurt me, or at least that's what I think, and then I just...

Still Feeling Bad [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, I just wanted to talk for a bit. I have been doing so well. I have had NC for a month now. Although it has only been 2 weeks since she tried to contact me last which I didn't reply. I have been dating and trying to keep busy so I can move forward. I am not doing so well again. Not sure...

View more questions Search