Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1230 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
    HIPAA rights employees
    My HR department has denied my FMLA renewal from 2 different physicians signatures. I say renewal because I filed last year 2011 for the same reasons and had no problem being approved. The first FMLA forms I submitted for this year HR contacted my Physicians office themselves instead of going through our contracted on site health clinic to verify information. Is HR allowed to contact my personal physician for any reason? (who knows what personal information they really asked for) Also Is the physicians office in violation for speaking with them? What are my options to resolving this situation?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
    HR can contact the physician for info related to a claim. The physician is not allowed to release any info to anyone you have not given written permission to release info to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA rights violated? [ 7 Answers ]

my hr department told me that I was being suspended from my job due to a random drug screening test result returning as positive. That night I was called and told by another staff member that she heard I got fired cause something was found during my test reading. The following morning my manager...

Hipaa violations against employees [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a violation against an emplyee talking derrogatory to other employees about one another? What I am asking is, Is there a law that protects one employee from another employee from speaking horrible about another. Especially if they have turned that person in for a hippa violation and they...

HIPAA rights violated? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with PTSD and the city has all my paperwork from the Dr. I remember signing the authorization for them to request the paperwork but not for dispersing. I had filed for medical retirement and have been delayed 3 times to go in front of the pension board, which is not a legal...

Are hospital employees exempt from HIPAA protection? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a nurse at a hospital and am very aware of HIPAA laws for our patients - and take them very seriously. I was recently admitted to the hospital for a procedure. I scheduled it during time off work and did not tell anyone I work with about the procedure. I received a call in my hospital room...

Were my HIPAA rights violated? What should I do now? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently went to a new dentist since I had not been to one in more than three years. The reason I went was because I had broken a tooth and now it was abcessed and needed a root canal procedure (per the dentist). The dentist looked at my x-rays and tooth and prescribed me pain medication and...

View more questions Search