Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    athenastar123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2012, 11:49 PM
    Am I too old for gymnastics?
    I am really, really sure that gymnastics is the right sport for me. I am very inspired by people like Gabby Douglas and Shawn Johnson. I am trying to convince my mom that I should take gymnastics but she is saying I am too old. I am eleven years old, but very flexible and very interested in gymnastics. How do I tell my mom that I think it is the right choice for me?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2012, 03:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by athenastar123 View Post
    I am really, really sure that gymnastics is the right sport for me. I am very inspired by people like Gabby Douglas and Shawn Johnson. I am trying to convince my mom that I should take gymnastics but she is saying I am too old. I am eleven years old, but very flexible and very interested in gymnastics. How do I tell my mom that I think it is the right choice for me?

You say, "Mom, I think gymnastics is the right choice for me."

She will either agree to pay for lessons or not. If she does the instructor will evaluate you and determine whether you can succeed or not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 04:04 AM
    No one is too old. Now are you too old to make it to a pro status, most girls never do that anyway. But if you were 20 and wanted to, always follow your dream
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2012, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    No one is too old. now are you too old to make it to a pro status, most girls never do that anyway. But if you were 20 and wanted to, always follow your dream

- right, I should have mentioned that there have to be thousands and thousands of gymnists who are not in the Olympics but enjoy the sport, are good - or simply enjoy the sport!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 05:16 AM
    This is what I tell my kids all the time in Martial Arts, they come in and want to be "Bruce Lee" in a few weeks, or their parents want them to be doing flying kicks in a few months.
    That you do a sport because you love it, few are ever in the Olympics or on TV movies. For Martial Arts, as the Olympics I assume, some is luck, and sometimes money.
    One of our good friend, has a daughter same age as my son, now this little girl is great, but the right person, saw her at a tournament, called someone, who came to see her and guess what, she is going to be in a movie. Had she not went to that tournament, or that other person was not in that tournament that day or that friend was too busy to come to TN.
    Nothing, Next for the Olympics, that is not just taking gymnastics, it is living it. Just like my martial arts. Those that live it, get up two hours early and practice before school, many get home schooled to have more practice time, they do almost nothing else. I have a few students, they are often waiting for me to open the doors, and I have to tell them to leave,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gymnastics [ 2 Answers ]

Who has the best college gymnastics team?

Too old for Gymnastics [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. Im 13 and started gymnastics about 3 months ago, but I had done gymnastics before when I was 4 or 5 Im about to move up to level 4 soon. Is there any chance for my gymnastics career. Im guessing I'll move up quick because I have all my skills for all events its all up to the head coach though....

Too old for gymnastics? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 20 years old and I would really like to get involved in gymnastics. Is 20 too old? I can do a bridge either starting from the ground or standing and putting only one hand on the ground, but that is about the limit of my flexibility right now. I can also do forward rolls and the backward...

Gymnastics help [ 1 Answers ]

I take tumbling classes at an all star gym but they say I am so close to getting my back handspring.. and I feel like I am but they keep telling me to be mmore aggressive and when I do it to snap my legs down right after the handstand... I just wanted to know if there was any other ways to help...

Too Old for Gymnastics? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 16, to turn 17 in a couple of weeks. I took gymnastics for about 3 years a long time ago (when I was 10-13 years old) and then quit. I was wondering if there was any chance of me being able to go back to the sport.. or is it too late?

View more questions Search