Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessica2300 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
    Will someone please help me with my essay
    Amitai Etzioni shares his strong belief that working, especially at McDonald’s type restaurants, is bad for teenagers I agree with the author’s opinion. I think that it is not good for teenagers to work because it is very difficult to keep a balance between working and schoolwork. Amitai Etzion also talks a lot about how these teens are working at low-skilled jobs, meaning that they are not really learning skills that could benefit them in the future “But in fact, these jobs undermine school attendance and involvement, impact few skills….” (Etzioni 316) If I worked in a fast-food restaurant when I was a high school student, I could not be able to study enough to enter to a university which I wanted to go because of being tired and not having enough time to do school work. So I think working is not a good choice working for teenagers, because it interfere their own education. “In an informal survey published in the most recent Walt Whitman yearbook, 58 percent of the seniors acknowledged that their jobs interfere with their school work.” (Etzioni 317)

Etzioni discusses about the jobs conflict with school activities and get in the way of school attendance; I think it’s a true assertion. All extra curricular and work activities take place after school. "As many as two-thirds of America's high school juniors and seniors now hold down part-time paying jobs..." (etzioni 316) rapidly students are applying for jobs so they can earn money, buy a car, and other accessories, but studies show that through time the more they work the more students drop out. Something I have seen on several occasions is a person will get a job and want to continue playing their sport and join various clubs, after a while their grades will drop and will have enough time to study. The decision they will have to make is which activity to give up. Most of the time student will decide to disregard sports and after school clubs to find more study time. However, as soon as they quit the sport, their bosses will try to give them work more hours, to work that they will have no problem to work but will be worse for their academic.

Etzioni believes that jobs generally don’t provide any kind of training that will be helpful in the future. “What doest it matter if you spend 20 mintures to learn to use a cash register…. (Etzioni 317) This is true that many of the skills taught can be learned in a very short time, but cannot be applied to any other occupation. Many of the jobs could be done as good or better by an eleven year-old because all it requires is someone to press buttons. But this part of the job won’t help anyone in the future. Once they quit the job, the skill goes with it. However, there are few things that are learned at a fast food place that can be helpful in the future. If you have ever been to a McDonald’s and had a really slow inefficient worker waiting on you, you probably got a little upset. Ability to be fast is very important at a fast food place. In the real world, if you are not quick and efficient, you’re not going to make it very far.

Mr. Etzioni states in his essay that fast food jobs provide a disadvantaged status for workers in the future. “Indeed, minorities are "over-represented" in these jobs (21 percent of fast-food employees)… disadvantaged status.(Etzioni 317). I believe it is true if the issue is looked from one side. Als Etzioni said that 80 percent of the people working in fast food work more than 30 hours per week, and 58 percent of high school seniors say working affects their school work.” Often the store close late and after closing…. With their school work”(Etzioni 317). I think it’s a disadvantage. If a student is working more than 30 hours per week, they don’t have any time to study nor any for extra curricular activities which that has a big role in college acceptance. Their grades will drop as a result of work they will have a harder time getting into college and the way to a good job is through college. Working in a jobn will help you for looking for another, but failing from school will not help you get a better job then fast food testaments. Most of the boss often times will give a great referral so the worker can get a slightly higher paying job somewhere else. This extra money can be used to pay for college in the future. Furthermore, college scholarship applications often ask for a list of jobs you have worked in the past.

Finally, Mr. Etzioni explains that working jobs doesn’t teach teens good money habits. First of all, I don’t believe it is McDonald’s job to teach kids how to use their money. One of the biggest advantages to having money at that age is that they can completely mess up and it won’t affect them in a dangerous way. Having money to spend can teach kids to spend their money wisely. The first several times they see something they want they will buy and find out later when it goes on sale that they messed up.

I agree with Etzioni that teenagers should not work but they also need to be involved with school and working fast food jobs gets in the way of that. A fast food job teaches both useful skills as well as useless skills. Workers will often times gain a disadvantaged status from working during school, but if they can keep up their grades it can help them in finding new jobs or getting into schools. And finally, having a job can help kids learn good money habits through their mistakes.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
    What help do you need?

Point out the problem areas, what you're having difficulty with, and we'll go from there.

We will not simply fix your essay, that would be us doing your work. We don't do that here.

But, put in the effort, show us what you're having issues with, and we'll steer you in the right direction. Teach rather than do. :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Just looked back at your other questions. You seem to need a lot of help with a lot of essays. I really think you should talk to your teachers about these issues, as it's obvious that you're having problems writing these essays on your own.

You can't always rely on others to fix your mistakes. You have to learn what the mistakes are, and how to fix them yourself, otherwise you'll never succeed.

Jul 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
    I need help with grammars
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica2300 View Post
    I need help with grammars
    Yes you do. The proper way to write that would be "I need help with grammar".

Talk to your teachers, tell them you're struggling and that you need help to understand proper writing so that you can do it on your own.

You will eventually be tested on this. If others are constantly doing the work for you you'll suffer greatly come exam time.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
    I give you ideas each time, but I never hear back or see the corrections made.
    Pets Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I give you ideas each time, but I never hear back or see the corrections made.
    That's because she doesn't want ideas, she wants someone to make the corrections for her. She wants someone to do the work for her.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    That's because she doesn't want ideas, she wants someone to make the corrections for her. She wants someone to do the work for her.
    Exactly. I guess I am done...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 10:38 PM
    I noted all her errors in an essay, but instead of making corrections and working further with me, she decided to can that essay and wanted my help on a new one.

I think this is an online homeschooling situation with no good real-time help or tutoring.

Jul 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Will someone help me please
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Jessica, you've been helped on numerous essays, but learned nothing.

I'm willing to meet you in the middle. You said you need help with grammar, so let's start with one sentence and work from there.

Amitai Etzioni shares his strong belief that working, especially at McDonald's type restaurants, is bad for teenagers I agree with the author's opinion.
    Who does Amitai Etzioni share his strong beliefs with? What is he the author of? What is wrong with your sentence? Apply the rules you've learned to this sentence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me on my essay? [ 3 Answers ]

Any ideas on how I can do my essay? What makes me frighten? And how can I elaborate on it?

Can someone help me on this essay ? Please I really need help, please and thank you! [ 3 Answers ]

What is Newman's stance on being a gentleman? What is his stance on virtue? What does Chesterfield seem to value: gentlemanly behavior or moral behavior? Would Newman agree or disagree with Chesterfield's advice to his son ? Read John Henry Newman " Knowledge and Virtue" starting from the...

Trying to do an essay [ 5 Answers ]

Compare two specific articles of the Magna Carta with articles or amendments found in the U.S. Constitution help me someone please.

Essay help [ 6 Answers ]

How can you treat the subject of your essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of your point of view?

Essay [ 1 Answers ]

I need to write an essay to John Hopkins University... any tips to help me out?? :confused: :p :( :o :eek:

View more questions Search