Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jihobr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 07:20 PM
    A choice between cash and securities
    I will be receiving some money soon and have been offered the choice between cash or securities.

What are securities?
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Mar 5, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Stocks and bonds or similar devices.
    jihobr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KongTheKonqueror
    Stocks and bonds or similar devices.
    Are there any advantages to either? Tax wise and such? If I roll the cash into an IRA would that not be the same? Except I get to choose where it goes?
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Mar 5, 2007, 09:48 PM
    The major factor is whether they are securities of the company you work for or just mutual funds or stocks in general? If you work for a well known public company, you would be able to sell the securities basically when ever you want. If you work a private company, it would be harder to sell the securities.

Personally if they are offering company stock, I would take the cash. Since you are already working for the company, you are dependent upon them for your income. If you have money tied up in their stocks and they go out of business, you loose both your income and your savings.

Both securities and cash are considered ordinary income for taxation purpose.
    arlcruise Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 02:32 AM
    Sorry, but I think even in the US, Capital Gains and Dividends are taxed much more favorably then interest income (cash and debt instruments). I strongly advise you to find an investment advisor you can trust. That will be more challenging then your investment decisions I fear =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Really Confused And my In securities are pushing girlfriend away [ 10 Answers ]

Been dating my current girlfriend for 6 months, and everything has been amazing. We have discussed everything from engagement rings to type of houses. She has recently been away for two weeks with work, and I missed her so so much, so much so that it really upset me more than I could believe....

Multiple Choice, Please help me [ 2 Answers ]

Of the following different types of securities, which is typically considered most risky? a) Certificates of deposit b) Long term government bonds c) common stocks of large companies d) U.S. treasury bills

Securities conversion [ 2 Answers ]

What are the rules regarding the conversion of debt securities to equity securities?

View more questions Search