Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the_one05 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Finding info about personal bank account
    Lets say I return an item at a retail store and the refunded money goes directly to my personal bank account/credit card, can the owner or manager of that store legally find out the name of the account holder, going by the account numbers that they have in their computer system for that return?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Iwould assume some stores have those records, they basically record your info when you use the checks, And since their computer records should be able to cross reference the purchase. Normally the refund to credit card they will ask you for your card for the credit anyway.
    the_one05 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 5, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Iwould assume some stores have those records, they basicly record your info when you use the checks, And since thier computer records should be able to cross reference the purchase. Normally the refund to credit card they will ask you for your card for the credit anyway.

What I mean to say is, can the management take the information they have from that transaction, go to the bank and get the name of the account holder through that method without getting permission from the account holder. I do understand that the store takes my information when I make that return but can they go to the bank to find the name of the account holder to which the money was transferred.
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 13, 2007, 10:00 PM
    I worked at a bank for six years. The answer is no, the management from the retail store would not be able to get the information from the bank.
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 13, 2007, 10:00 PM
    I worked at a bank for six years. The answer is no, the management from the retail store would not be able to get the information from the bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Bank Account [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being audited by IRS. He needs to locate an old bank account that he had when married. Wife has moved out of state and he does not know how to locate her to find out name of bank in year2000. Is there a way to find out information maybe with your social security number.

Levied bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I hope I'm asking this in the right area, but I live in northern NJ and what has happened over the past couple of days is that, although I'm in a payment plan w/ a law firm, they levied my bank account w/out notifying me. Through many difficult phone calls, they told me that my last check had...

Finding Missing info from balance sheet [ 2 Answers ]

One item is omitted in the following summaries of balance sheet and income statement data: Beginning of the year: Assets $540,000 Liabilities $324,000 End of Year: Assets: 670,500 Liabilities: $292,500

View more questions Search