Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlight Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
    Have HP S3120N and I can sign in, but then the monitor goes to a diaganol checkers?
    HPS3120N, can sign in but after I do, the monitor goes to a diaganol checkerboard pattern and won't go any further. I have a new motherboard, now a friend is saying it's a processor. Help please.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 02:08 PM
    It is probably not the processor. If the processor is bad, the machine will not boot and there will be no video at all. It could be the power supply, or video card, or memory, or that the processor heat sink and thermal interface material was not installed properly, or the monitor, or another device that is hanging the machine.

What happened that required a new motherboard and can you post a pic of "diagonal checkers"?

Jul 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    It is probably not the processor. If the processor is bad, the machine will not boot and there will be no video at all. It could be the power supply, or video card, or memory, or that the processor heat sink and thermal interface material was not installed properly, or the monitor, or another device that is hanging the machine.

What happened that required a new motherboard and can you post a pic of "diagonal checkers"?
    That was what a friend recommended since the video was imbedded into the motherboard and the only way to change out the video card was to replace the motherboard.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 09:47 PM
    Can you try the monitor on another machine?

Jul 27, 2012, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    Can you try the monitor on another machine?
    We tried the monitor on another and it is OK. We also tried the desktop on other monitors on the same condition occurred. The same condition happened pre-new motherboard and after the new motherboard was installed. I agree I don't think it's the processor.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jul 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Try booting in safe mode. If you can boot and login in safe mode and everything looks good, aside from the low screen resolution you will need to replace the driver, you can download it from the computer or video card manufactures web site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

Checkers [ 3 Answers ]

Do kings have to jump in the game of checkers?

Monitor works with DVI but when change to DFP monitor, it doesn't work! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre that works with a DVI monitor. There is a DFP output but when I try to use that with a regular monitor (I know it is good), I don't get any picture. I am not able to keep the DVI monitor. Any suggestions? Do I change something in bios or just get a cable the is dvi...

View more questions Search