Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    012345 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 07:59 AM
    My boyfriend wants space for 2 weeks! How do I give him this?
    My boyfriend and I have dated for 8 months and we have recently been getting in little fights. I think it's because we were livig together and we were always together. He just told me he needed space and we needed a break for two weeks.

Let me give you some information about him. He is the most honest straight forward guy. Not just to me but to everyone. Trust has never been an issue. He told me he wasn't doing this to find someone else. He was simply doing it cause he wants things to work but he's unhappy and he needs to take a step back.

I was mean to him sometimes because I knew I could be. He would just take it. It got to the point where I would just start an argument about nothing. Anyway he asked for space and I am having a hard time giving it to him.

This is the third day and the 1st two days I have talked to him and texted him and blew his phone up. All of my friends say stop texting and calling him, but is there an easier way for all of this? At the end of the two weeks it would be ideal if we were back together! Help?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 08:10 AM
    If you keep bothering him, you are not respecting his "time" and "space"

You need to talk and set rules, can you both talk once a day, is one email or two email a day OK or does he want no contact at all. Then you set a day, two weeks in the future to meet and discuss the last two weeks.

But to be honest the "I need space' or "I want a break" is almost always a break up.
    Nikita dhir Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
    He just wants you to start learning staying without you..
    But accrdng to me silent would work in your case.. Just stop msgng n stop ol d contacts until 2 weeks... See if he told you 2 weeks.. give him.. Have control over you.. Engage yourself in some work which is really important... 2 weeks after it he would come himself.. U would know aftr 2 weeks what is he exactly..
    If you keep msgng n callng him.. Its not a space..

Jul 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
    He said we will talk once a day. When I talked to him last night he seemed pretty annoyed. But I told him that I trusted him to tell me at any time he feels like we won't be together. I mad a list the first day of things that needed to be changed and how I was going to fix them.

Last night he told me he wanted it to work out. So why is he doing this? Yes I know I shouldn't text him. But it's questions like that that I want to ask.

If its usually a break up than I don't want to do this two week thing. So what do I tell him?

Jul 26, 2012, 11:13 AM
    No contact
    My boyfriend wants to go on a break for 2 weeks. He says we are both single and that he just wants to live his life and see at the end of two weeks if we need to be together. He's a straight forward honest guy and told me he is not doing this to be with other girls. I think he just needs to find himself. Do I do no contact? If so how?
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2012, 11:17 AM
    Yeah, treat this as a break up. Go no contact forever, don't know what you mean by how... Think of all the ways you can communicate with someone, and just don't do them. Phone, email, Facebook, face-to-face, texts, etc.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Of course you do NO CONTACT, and the how is to have fun and leave him alone. He will call when and if he is ready!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
    This is most likely a real break up, would you really want to go back after he has dated others for two weeks. This is not what people who really care for each other do.

Jul 26, 2012, 07:33 PM
    He said he wasn't going to Get with other girls and he wasn't trying to move on he just really needs to figure some stuff out.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
    He told me he wasn't doing this to find someone else. He was simply doing it cause he wants things to work but he's unhappy and he needs to take a step back.

I was mean to him sometimes because I knew I could be. He would just take it. It got to the point where I would just start an argument about nothing. Anyways he asked for space and I am having a hard time giving it to him.
    Seems you gave him no choice as not only are you impulsive, and out of control, but mean to boot.He had no choice but to step back and unless you straighten up your act in the next two weeks he ain't coming back.

Maybe some anger management classes or something like that, but its not realistic he will keep putting up with your mean bad behavior. Even go so far as to have a check up if you are prone to wide hormonal changes. ANYTHING to get some guidance in the right direction.

I mean you can understand can't you that you cannot terrorize your own partner! I think this is your LAST, and ONLY chance to make amends and gain his confidence again.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
    Yup, do No Contact and live your life without him totally.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 08:22 PM
    Threads were merged for the entire story
    Nikita dhir Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Yup, do No Contact and live your life without him totally.
    I agree.. Start from a new beginning... Enjoy your life start doing things which give you joy.. Consider it as your break up.. Take up a calendr in d box you start writing your feelings for him.. Your thaughts about him.. But yes involve yourself in othr friends.. Do thngs meet up new people.. Face book and yes don't talk about you boyfriend with your friends the more you talk d more you will be disheartten you both don't speak until 2 weeks at all and aftr that discus calmly what he exactly wants and don't argue... Dat day just hear what he says think about it and reply him aftr a day or two.. Think whethr you want to go back to him or no.. Cause if he did it once again he can ask you for it.. Don't take any deccission in hurry

Jul 27, 2012, 07:02 AM
    The first three days I talked to him. And pretty much blew up his phone. Do you think I've ruined it?
    Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 07:30 AM
    Guess you wll never learn, so get help!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 08:13 AM
    I fully agree with Tal. You need to look at why you have treated him the way you have and how you can change your behaviors. So far, you haven't given any indication that you are truly willing to change. Yes, 'blowing up his phone' and not giving him space and time are a continuation of showing him that your needs are more important to you than he is.

Out of the eight months you have been dating, how long have you been living together? Do you still have a place together? If you are the one still staying there, then the only time you should contact him is if there is an emergency involving the apartment (plumbing breaks and floods the place type emergency) or to make arrangements for him to pick up any mail/bills that might arrive during this time and need immediate attention. If you left, then let him contact you. Have a set time to pick up your mail and have no other contact with him.

For the next two weeks (restart the 'break'), show him through your actions that you do respect him and his needs. Get out and make certain you have friends and hobbies/interests that give you time apart from him. Hopefully, he is doing the same. You shouldn't be spending all of your time together. You should have support systems outside the relationship. Think of it as blowing off steam so you don't blow up at him.

Do I think you have made an irrevocable mistake by contacting him? Not necessarily. I think IF you both want the relationship to survive, it will take patience and working through the issues before you move back in together. I think you both need time to show that you can move forward and work on the issues. I would expect the end of the 'break' (if you are still together) to be a beginning of working things out instead of a continuation of the way things were. I would not expect to be moving back in together just because the 'break' is over. Go back to the beginning.

Jul 27, 2012, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    I fully agree with Tal. You need to look at why you have treated him the way you have and how you can change your behaviors. So far, you haven't given any indication that you are truly willing to change. Yes, 'blowing up his phone' and not giving him space and time are a continuation of showing him that your needs are more important to you than he is.

Out of the eight months you have been dating, how long have you been living together? Do you still have a place together? If you are the one still staying there, then the only time you should contact him is if there is an emergency involving the apartment (plumbing breaks and floods the place type emergency) or to make arrangements for him to pick up any mail/bills that might arrive during this time and need immediate attention. If you left, then let him contact you. Have a set time to pick up your mail and have no other contact with him.

For the next two weeks (restart the 'break'), show him through your actions that you do respect him and his needs. Get out and make certain you have friends and hobbies/interests that give you time apart from him. Hopefully, he is doing the same. You shouldn't be spending all of your time together. You should have support systems outside the relationship. Think of it as blowing off steam so you don't blow up at him.

Do I think you have made an irrevocable mistake by contacting him? Not necessarily. I think IF you both want the relationship to survive, it will take patience and working through the issues before you move back in together. I think you both need time to show that you can move forward and work on the issues. I would expect the end of the 'break' (if you are still together) to be a beginning of working things out instead of a continuation of the way things were. I would not expect to be moving back in together just because the 'break' is over. Go back to the beginning.
    We don't live together as in we have the same bills he has his own place. But we spend every night together and every second outside of work.

I can tell he is so annoyed by me! But also when I talked to him last night I'm pretty sure he would have told me the break was over if he truly wanted it to be.

He told me that he WASN'T looking for another girl and he WASN'T trying to move on. He's just trying to find himself again. I really do respect what he wants I just thought that contacting him would make him realize that I'm fighting for the relationship.

He said he doesn't want the same relationship that we had because he was unhappy. And so I honestly don't think he'll come back. I know y'all are going to tell me "well then it wasn't meant to be". Although that's true, I just want someone's advice on how to turn this around and get him back!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 012345 View Post
    I just want someone's advice on how to turn this around and get him back!!
    I think that ship has sailed.
    Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
    You can't control yourself, and he won't come back until you do. Now go turn yourself around or forget it!

Why are you being such a troll! Arguing instead of taking the advice?

Jul 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You can't control yourself, and he won't come back until you do. Now go turn yourself around or forget it!!

Why are you being such a troll! Arguing instead of taking the advice?
    Umm troll? That's weird. I'm not arguing! I'm getting all my information out there do I can get all the advice I can. This guy means the world to me. I would hope that at the end of the two weeks he wants to be with me. I was just asking if anyone thought that I may still have a chance to get him back? I haven't talked to him today and don't plan to.

He would have told me last night if he wanted to completely break up and not use the two weeks. But he didn't. So yes I am going out and hanging with my friends and stuff but that doesn't mean I'm still not wanting to be with him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you give boyfriend space he wants [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend has asked me for space. I don't know how to give it to him feely and without being scared he won't come back. He wants the space to re-evaluate him as my boyfriend and see if he can truly swallow some of his pride or beliefs to move in a direction we both want. He loves me so much...

How do I give my boyfriend space to see if he wants me or her [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been living together for 8 months now. We are deeply in love. Recently his ex-girlfriend found his unlisted phone number and started texting him trying to get him back. They were together for over 7 years and had a volatile relationship. She was verbally and physically...

My boyfriend wants space, how do I give it to him? [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend(22) and I(21) have been together for 1 yr and 6 months. He recently told me that he wants space. He told me that he loves and doesn't want to break up with me, but he wants his space. I truly in love with my boyfriend. We have tried the whole space thing before twice, and we...

How to give my boyfriend space? [ 29 Answers ]

Ok so we have been dating a month and half and Im in love with him.. He needs space because he is under a lot of stress and he doesn't know how to handle it so HOW DO I GIVE HIM HIS SPACE?? Help me... tell me how I give him his space?

Ex won't give me space [ 1 Answers ]

So my ex girlfriend and I have been broken up for about 3 months, although we never gave each other space. First I need to tell you we've known each other almost two years and were always flirting with each other, and then dated for about 4 months long distance. I'm 29 and she's 23, I went to...

View more questions Search