Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aadachi Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Jul 25, 2012, 11:17 PM
    MRI Tingly Wave Feeling & Dizziness?
    I actually have no idea if I put this question is categorized correctly -- sorry if it is in the wrong place!

I just came back from an MRI appointment I had today that left me very confused.

This morning, I was a bit nervous about going in for my appointment since I never had an MRI before, so I didn't know what to expect. I went online and was SO relieved that all of the information I found about getting an MRI, and that it was painless and without the loud noise I would probably even fall asleep (if I was not claustrophobic). This was so good to read, especially since I am not at all claustrophobic!

However, once I got onto the table and it went inside the machine, two seconds before I even head the noise, I actually felt the air change, which made me feel very dizzy and almost instantly get a headache. I closed my eyes, thinking that this would help me not be dizzy, but it didn't work. I started feeling tingly "waves" across my skin, almost like static or small needles. Also, my knee (the reason why I was getting an MRI) started hurting.

It's just very surprising to me that I felt all of this, when I went in thinking I wasn't going to feel a thing. I even felt it in my teeth if that makes any sense. I still feel like the tingly feeling has not gone away completely.

Is this normal? How come it would do something like that?

Thank you for your answers! :)

*I was not wearing any metal at all, no make up, no deodorant, no reflective clothing, no tattoos, no bra with under-wire...ect.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 12:19 AM
    Was your MRI done with a contrast? Did you have an IV?

Jul 26, 2012, 02:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Was yuor MRI done with a contrast? Did you have an IV?
    I did not have and IV. I have no clue what a contrast is, so I am not sure if it was done with one. If it was, would that have a part in how I felt?
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 03:04 AM
    You would have had to have an IV for it to be done with contrast.

Jul 29, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Yeah, I didn't have an IV. Are there any other reasons I would have felt that way? Today is actually the first day since my MRI that I haven't felt any of those side effects that I described.
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 06:33 AM
    May I ask the reason for the MRI?

I asked the MRI staff at the hospital I work at about this and she felt that this was possibly an anxiety related issue.

Jul 30, 2012, 05:31 AM
    It was for a knee injury that I received. I was actually only nervous before I read online that it was painless, so at the appointment I was very calm. I'm not saying the MRI staff would be wrong about it, I just didn't notice feeling anxiety.

Thank you so much for not only giving me some possibilities, but for asking others about it! :) When I get a call back on the results of my MRI, I will ask them about it too. I will post back on here with what they say as well.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 06:44 AM
    Please keep me posted on what you find out!

Jul 30, 2012, 07:06 AM
    Yes, I will make sure to keep you posted! :)

Dec 21, 2012, 06:38 AM
    I forgot to update you with what the doctor said!

He said that although it is uncommon to feel the way I did after an MRI, it is not unheard of. He said there really is no reason as to why I should feel that way, but there have been similar cases where people have said they had the same side effects, for the same period.

I think that is interesting and maybe someone in the medical field should look into that. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Right arm & hand numb/tingly/brain mri demyelination 2mm 8 mo ago [ 3 Answers ]

Right arm/hand numbness/tingling for 4 days most of the day, had brain mri 8 mo ago that showed demeylination measuring 2mm in the left corona radiata, is this related?

I am looking for this pop & new wave songs. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Spain.I have many old tapes from the eighties but also many unknown songs.Please,help me.All the songs are between 1984 / 1989.Thanks in advance and regards from Spain. http://www.spiritofradio.ca/SongComments.asp?SongID=1554 http://www.spiritofradio.ca/SongComments.asp?SongID=1553...

Heaviness in the head & dizziness [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have been having heaviness in the head with dizziness. Even when I am sleeping I feel the dizziness. Can any one help. Its been going on for sometime.:confused:

View more questions Search