Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redlipsticklena Posts: 148, Reputation: 0

Aug 9, 2012, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have you read Janet Evanovich's mysteries or those by Lilian Jackson Braun? Or Gothic adventures by Daphne du Maurier? I especially like short stories -- stories by Bret Harte or Nathaniel Hawthorne are good.

I think more than anything you are bored. Are there singles groups in your area, groups that have activities and short trips and lunches together?

I have heard of janet but the others I never heard of. I will write them down and at least look them up. Some books I like and some I do not. Like those james Patterson I don't like them. I also do not likes series but I did read hunger games which was really good.

I reads a book now called 'memory keeper's daughter' and 'tree grows in brookllyn.'

No I am not just bored. Every single days I think about death and dying. I am just tired of living there's nothing here for me at all, if there was I would've found it by now. I wish I had enough money to buy a gun and end it all. I tell my therapist that and I will not do it again because she want send me to the hospital. Sigh. So there's no one to tell. I go to a group before a women's group and I do not fit in. I just don't belong here.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 08:57 AM
    If you like Hunger Games, you probably would like many of the YA (Young Adult) books like Life of Pi or Holes. I bet you would like the adult (not YA) fiction Outlander (time travel to the past) too by Diana Gabaldon. It's the first book in the series, but it's the best one. Did you ever read Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel? It's long and thick, but worth it!

The next time you are at the library, ask a librarian to show you where the YA books are and give you suggestions.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsticklena View Post
    i reads a book now called 'memory keeper's daughter' and 'tree grows in brookllyn.'

I have read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" every Summer since I was 17 - honestly. I LOVE that book.

I like her other books but not nearly as much.

Aug 9, 2012, 03:11 PM
    If you like Hunger Games, you probably would like many of the YA (Young Adult) books like Life of Pi or Holes. I bet you would like the adult (not YA) fiction Outlander (time travel to the past) too by Diana Gabaldon. It's the first book in the series, but it's the best one. Did you ever read Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel? It's long and thick, but worth it!

The next time you are at the library, ask a librarian to show you where the YA books are and give you suggestions.

Honestly I try to avoid all you books and always have since I was a teen because they seems to immature for me. The hunger games I finally gave in and read it and liked it. Otherwise I only reads adult fiction book. You know a lot of book and most of them I have never heard of. Lol. I go to my therapy the other day and she say she do not know how to help me anymore. Sigh. I do not know what to say to her anymore either. Just dead ends.

Aug 9, 2012, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I have read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" every Summer since I was 17 - honestly. I LOVE that book.

I like her other books but not nearly as much.

I can only read a book once and don't know how people re-read books like that. A lot of people like this book but say its very sad. I just started it this week.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 03:16 PM
    honestly i try to avoid all ya books and always have since i was a teen b/c they seems to immature for me. the hunger games i finally gave in and read it and liked it. otherwise i only reads adult fiction book. you know a lot of book and most of them i have never heard of. lol. i go to my therapy the other day and she say she do not know how to help me anymore. sigh. i do not know what to say to her anymore either. just dead ends.
    I have ideas for her to help you. :)

I worked in libraries for 30 years, so yes, I know lots of book titles.

What have been some of your favorite books over the years? Do you like mysteries? Not thrillers, it sounds like, or if they aren't bloody and violent?
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 03:27 PM
    i can only read a book once and dont kno how people re-read books like that. a lot of people like this book but say its very sad. i just started it this week.

What is sad about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? The widow, the children, they are all survivors, remained family through tough times.

What strikes you as sad about that?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2012, 04:42 PM
    I see the word 'normal' being used a lot but I don't know what you mean by that.

Can you explain to me what you mean when you say you see people with 'normal lives'?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    I see the word 'normal' being used alot but i dont know what you mean by that.
    "Normal" to her (she explained in this thread or another) means having a spouse and children, being able to drive, having a significant other, having a job, etc.

Aug 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
    "Normal" to her (she explained in this thread or another) means having a spouse and children, being able to drive, having a significant other, having a job, etc.

Yea albear this, also add home ownership or apartment. That is what a normal life is supposed to be and most people have it unless something wrong with them.

Aug 12, 2012, 08:54 AM
    What is sad about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? The widow, the children, they are all survivors, remained family through tough times.

What strikes you as sad about that?
    OMG. I didn't read the book YET Sigh. I am on like page 5. That is what others people say. The book is sad. I think you told me that on purpose.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
    OMG. I didn't read the book YET Sigh. I am on like page 5. That is what others people say. the book is sad. I think you told me that on purpose.

I told you what on purpose?

It's difficult to post accidentally.

I can't help but think you and I have a previous history. You appear to be very sensitive to what I say - or don't say. I see nothing in this thread that would cause that reaction from you.

Aug 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
    The Bell Jar spoiler:

I read a book in a book club at the library 2 or 3 years ago. I really liked the bell jar and it's one of my favorites because I can relate to that depress girl in it. Anyway I start going to the book club and we read that for the first time. Anyway we discussed the ending and I said: I wish at the end the girl would have kill herself. It was stupid how she went to some clinic and got better like presto chango' everyone just look at me sigh. :( I never went back to the that book club even though I see their advertisements for good books, I just reads them on my own now. I do not fit in anywhere.

Aug 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
    I told you what on purpose?

It's difficult to post accidentally.

I can't help but think you and I have a previous history. You appear to be very sensitive to what I say - or don't say. I see nothing in this thread that would cause that reaction from you.

The ending of the book, tree grows in Brooklyn. . maybe that will not ruin it. I don't know seem like it will.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
    yea albear this, also add home ownership or apartment. that is what a normal life is supposed to be and most people have it unless something wrong with them.
    You live on the street? Not in a house? You have a computer and Internet access? You have on clothes and shoes? You slept in a bed last night? You are able to care for yourself and keep yourself clean? You are able to leave the house and go places?

I love your definition of what normal life is like. I had a client who was divorced, lived in an apartment, and had a small daughter. This client firmly believed that every housewife/mother in her neighborhood wore a dress and high heels all day and lived in a luxurious house and was married to a wonderful man and had perfectly behaved children and cooked delicious meals for dinner.

If she only knew...
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
    The Bell Jar spoiler:

i read a book in a book club at the library 2 or 3 years ago. i really liked the bell jar and it's one of my favorites because i can relate to that depress girl in it. anyways I start going to the book club and we read that for the first time. Anyways we discussed the ending and i said: i wish at the end the girl would have kill herself. it was stupid how she went to some clinic and got better like presto chango' everyone just look at me sigh. :( I never went back to the that book club even though i see their advertisements for good books, i just reads them on my own now. i do not fit in anywhere.

I'm sure you know that The Bell Jar is believed to be autobiographical and Sylvia Plath DID commit suicide.

You got the ending you hoped for - it just took a while.

Aug 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
    I know she commit suicide, just talking about the character and the way it played out in the book.

Aug 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
    You live on the street? not in a house? You have a computer and Internet access? You have on clothes and shoes? You slept in a bed last night? You are able to care for yourself and keep yourself clean? You are able to leave the house and go places?

I love your definition of what normal life is like. I had a client who was divorced, lived in an apartment, and had a small daughter. This client firmly believed that every housewife/mother in her neighborhood wore a dress and high heels all day and lived in a luxurious house and was married to a wonderful man and had perfectly behaved children and cooked delicious meals for dinner.

If she only knew....
    It's a long story but this is not my house and I can't stay in it. So no I basically don't own a home or have one. I don't even care anymore about it.

Now that is overboard, that woman I mean. Life is not like on TV and if she believe that, God help her. But come on. I'm tired of people in denial that there's no such thing as a normal life when its all around us. Even that divorced lady had a NORMAL life. Supposedly 1 percent of the population is like me, so obviously I feels like I don't belong here and I mostly don't. No reason to believe otherwise based on my own life. I HATE it and will be glad when it's over.

I don't feels bad for suicide people like slyvia plath, IMO she isn't missing much and neither is her son who also died.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 02:21 PM
    it was stupid how she went to some clinic and got better like presto chango' everyone just look at me sigh.
    Why was that stupid?

Why did everyone look at you?

Why the sigh?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 02:27 PM
    it's a long story but this is not my house and I can't stay in it. So no I basically don't own a home or have one. I don't even care anymore about it.
    So where will you live when this house is gone?
    even that divorced lady had a NORMAL life.
    She had virtually no money, she was living on public aid, the government was on her case to get a job, she had no boyfriend or husband to love her, her two-year-old daughter was a willful brat whom she couldn't control so would just ignore, and she was fat and had a huge nose. Yes, real normal. I could tell you stories of normal people like that all day and night.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I Want to commit suicide [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so let me tell you why I am asking this question and why I am here.I'll try and tell you my story in brief although it is very long. When I completed 13 I became very rude to my sisters(this is the start,this got worse in the years to come). I started using all the physical strength that I...

Why do I want to commit suicide [ 4 Answers ]

Why do I keep wishing that I could have the courage to kill myself?

I want to commit suicide [ 11 Answers ]

My boyfriend proposed me six month ago.but now after having sex he told me that he is not interested on me any more.he is not enjoying our sex life.he is not satisfied with me.he abuse me every day and also slang me with bad words.now he want to break up with me.what can I do now??

He tried to commit suicide [ 5 Answers ]

My 23 year old cousin tried to commit suicide the other day. He slit his wrist, ended up hitting two majot veins and a major artery and had to get 30 staples to stop the bleeding. He is over 8 hours away, but I want to try everything I can to help him. I offered him my support many times, made...

View more questions Search