Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrTurner Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Jul 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
    Bankruptcy and Divorce
    My wife and are are currently going through a divorce.
    We have a FEW bad debts together. My question is...
    When I file for bankruptcy
    1. Even though the court may decide whose debt is who... I was told they were still equally both ours. So what happens and how do I go about getting a joint account charged off.
    2. Should I take on all the debts then in the divorce proceedings and THEN file for bankruptcy in and effort to try to sway the child custody... (less responsibility for her).

My assets include...
    01 Grand Marquis LEASED at 300 a month

My income includes:
    1500 a month

General Bills:
    Rent and Utilities 500
    Car Payment 300
    Cell phone 50

Basically my main goal is to start over with my daughter and get out from all the bad debt that I made along with the bad choice of getting married to this person. . My question is how do I go about financially starting over, credit wise, cash wise, and just being a stable father like I have been trying to, with the wrong person. 100 percent of the debt is from joint accounts with the soon to be ex.
    So based on the information given... can anyone give me good advice as too what may happen, and my most effective approach.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce and bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I had my final divorce hearing yesterday, and the judge order that I continue to make payments on the vehicle that my ex-wife has in her possession or face jail time for contempt of court. He actually threatened to have me locked up yesterday. Earlier this year, I filed for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy,...

Divorce settlement and bankruptcy [ 0 Answers ]

My husband and I have divorced and final court date was 2 weeks ago. As part of the settlement besides child support, I am receiving 1/2 of his 401k. We are filing joint bankruptcy as there was a house that was foreclosed upon a year ago (he lives in the house , I live with our 2 children) as...

Divorce and bankruptcy [ 8 Answers ]

Would anyone in mind sharing their personal Chapter 7 bankruptcy story with me. I am about to file and really would like to know what to expect. I am filing with my husband then we are getting a divorce. If you don't want to post it, please email me privately. There is so much information and I...

Divorce and Bankruptcy [ 6 Answers ]

One of my employees is going through a rough time, deciding on ending her 24 yr marriage. She came to me for help, and I really know about either subject, and I don't know all the specifics. Here goes... She and her husband are up to their ears in credit card debt, I don't know how much but I...

Divorce then bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I live in ny state,my wife wants her name off the mortgage,then get a divorce,then she wants to file bankruptcy.what will happen? Thanks.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.