Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zeldazme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2004, 12:14 PM
    Order of primary master,etc.
    When setting up computer, what is the order of the devices
    The hard drive is primary master but I don't know what order to install the other three drives. I have a DVD Rom drive, a CD-RW drive and an internal Iomega Zip drive and don't know what should be primary slave, secondary master and secondary slave. Could someone help me? :confused:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2004, 05:49 PM
    The order isn't really all that important other than the boot drive being the Primary Master. Since most PC cases have the hard drive bays (3.5") near each other and the CD/DVD (5.25") bays near each other you will most often find the hard drives on the Master IDE cable and the CD/DVD drives on the Secondary cable simply because that's the easiest way to fit in the connectors.

Hope this helps.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2004, 04:19 AM
    Master-Slave
    Hi,
    Look at the back of the CD-ROM drive, and the back of the CD-RW drive.
    One will have to have the "pin" set at the Master, the other set at "Slave".
    You then set, in the BIOS, the Master to be the Primary.
    The boot sequence order normally reads like:
    Floppy drive first, cd-rom second, then the cd-rw drive next.
    Happy New Year,
    fredg
    Saker Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2005, 04:16 PM
    It doesn't matter at all as long as you have set the primary boot drive in bios.

To squeeze performance from your machine I would recommend having the following:
    Primary master - DVD drive
    Primary slave - hdd
    Secondary master - CD-RW
    Secondary slave - zip drive

That way the cd drive you are most likely to be using to write from the hdd is on the opposite channel to it so not having to use a single channel for both at the same time. Also if you were writing from the dvd to the CD then they would be using separate channels, etc.

Good point fredg, make sure the jumpers on the back of the devices are set accordingly to master or slave. Easy to forget to do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Length of time for primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

What is the length of time required by law that you need to be in a house (as your primary residence) before you can sell it?

Primary school education - catholic [ 1 Answers ]

Does the parent of a child in catholic school in New York State have the absolute right to have the child transferred to another class? And where can I find the rules or statutes pertaining to this?

New GP Contract and primary care products [ 1 Answers ]

How does the new GP contract affect the promtion of a Pharmaceutical companies primary care products?

View more questions Search