Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 4, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Need advise for a short-term financial crisis
    I've had an avalanche of bad situations converge in a short period including a medical crisis, and involuntary loss of work. While my debt was very manageable as recently as 6 months ago, I'm up a creek now. It's not a lot comparatively - about $8,000 in addition to my home and car, which I've kept current.

I want to make some progress on this debt before June, when I intend to move so that I can accept a new job, which will pay enough for me to manage normal monthly expenses plus some debt reduction and savings, becaise I need to rescue my credit to some degree in order to be able to qualify for a home - any kind of home, rental or purchase.

My debts include a $900 ambulance bill that is 2 years old (I've paid it down from $2,000but not completely); $1,200 I owe for child care to my son's school district which I've paid down from $1,400; and $1,400 in attorney's fees related to paying my home owner's association dues late after I lost my job. I have paid the oiginal debt - the dues - but have been held responsible for paying their costs for retaining an attorney to collect. My regular monthly bills are more than I can presently afford and I've eliminated all that are not essential for survival including cable, health club and so on. Not buying anything but food and gas for the car to get to work. I've even eliminated some things that make me quite nervous - like, because Cobra insurance premiums were $400 that I could not afford, I have no medical insurace.

I have a good job lined up with my family's business, but because I am divorced and my husband lives where I live currently, I had to get court permission to return with my son to my home state. Been granted with the caveat that I not move until he finishes school. Until then, I have contract work, but am still about $600 per month short of what I need to make payments on basic bills to prevent a continued downward spiral in my credit, and upward spiral in my debt load. It's a nightmare- I pay things late, so then am assessed late fees, which makes the next bill even more unaffordable. I am being hounded by creditors.

I need to dig up $4,000 to $8,000 in short measure, and would be willing to work more hours but don't have child care after business hours so am at a loss of what to do... I type 100 words per minute, and would take in office work to do at home, but have no idea where to find legitimate work of that type.

My home is up for sale presently, and with help from m family, I'm managing to keep the mortgage payments paid within the month they are due, but it's a real struggle. My home has lost about $10,000 in value in the current housing market, so I've taken a big hit in my equity. If I have to pay all my debt from the proceeds of the house, I'm concerned I won't have enough of a downpayment to buy a modest condo for my son and I where we are moving. Apartments there, for two bedrooms, are more costly monthly than buying a condo, and I don't think that renting is the best financial decision, either.

Can anyone offer any advice of what I can do? I don't think my situation is bad enough for bankruptcy, but is beyond my resources and those of my family to resolve. Right now the only solution I can see is to sell my house and pay what I must from the proceeds, and chip away at the rest over time, but I'm afraid I will be sued before I can get that job done, and will have even more legal and collection fees and late charges added to the situation I'm already in. Yikes. I have never been unable to pay my bills before, and it's so humiliating and stressful, particularl to accept things like my sister paying my mortgage. I'm blessed to have the help, but am desperate for a way to take control and dig myself out of this mess.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

May 15, 2010, 08:43 PM

I would suggest talking to some of the creditors and see if they can help you setup affordable payments without fees (which will definitely kill you in the long run).

Does your husband (or ex husband which it sounds like) pay child support, could he potentially have some liability in the child care expenses as well?

I am not sure where you are moving to, but you may have to rent until you can afford to buy.

Hope it all works out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weak short term memory [ 4 Answers ]

I want to improve my memory.I have a good long term memory i.e remember the things very well happened long ago but forget the things of DAY TO DAY daily life.Pls provide the solution

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Short term capital gain [ 3 Answers ]

What makes a short term capital gain qualified?

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search